Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

DSL connection really bogged down now

How may we help you?
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

DSL connection really bogged down now

Unread post by Beetle »

We've had so many problems with our AT&T DSL connection. Here's just a new one. For a little while now, pages load like dial-up, and nothing downloads faster than 65 kb/s. Its always around 60 kb/s.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Also, when on dslreports.com it shows my IP coming from Atlanta, I live in NC. That's not the first time I've noticed it, I've just ignored it. Help?
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Re: DSL connection really bogged down now

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

same thing happened to my dsl too. found out they had an issue with our phoneline and it took them about 6 times to get it fixed. but ive dropped dsl and went to fiber optics now.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

AgeNt_ wrote:same thing happened to my dsl too. found out they had an issue with our phoneline and it took them about 6 times to get it fixed. but ive dropped dsl and went to fiber optics now.
yea, they've had to mess with the lines before. it would help, but then it would go back to crappy again eventually.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

Beetle wrote:We've had so many problems with our AT&T DSL connection. Here's just a new one. For a little while now, pages load like dial-up, and nothing downloads faster than 65 kb/s. Its always around 60 kb/s.
as mentioned, it could be that you have developed a line problem, but a couple of points from the administrative side....

could be that they have the incorrect configuration applied to your dsl modem. you could ask support to check your config* against your account type.

do you happen to remember when the slowdown started? might offer a clue.

maybe verify that they have the correct ESN/MAC in the account as well. on the modem you have, look around for an ESN/MAC listing, sometimes found embossed or stickered on the modem. again, talk with support about it. they should have the same info listed in your account.
Also, when on dslreports.com it shows my IP coming from Atlanta, I live in NC. That's not the first time I've noticed it, I've just ignored it. Help?
this is probably a non-issue. the IP address block is registered to the head office or technical office of the company that provides your service.

when/if you talk with support, make sure that you ask if you are connected to a local termination system*, just to make sure.

* a 60K config would be something that would be fed to a dial-up customer, an unknown modem (i.e. unattached to a customer account, caught in an account audit), or an abusive user.

* note that my familiarity is with cable modems, not DSL. by "termination system" i mean the router/modem management system that your DSL modem connects to. this device is typically a specialized router of some sort. support would use this to manage all the DSL modems on their system.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

thanks for the reply.

im not the owner, and the stupid owner/friend of mine says it can't be the line since it was fixed before. i know he doesnt know what he's talking about but i cant convince him otherwise.

plus, every time we call support its like an hour of BS telling us stuff we already know, usually ending in nothing being solved.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

well, speaking from (far too much) support experience -- anyone you get on the phone should be looking at previous notes, just so they dont cover the same ground all over again -- call them on it! tell them to look at the notes (the wankers).

its AT&T -- chances are the right hand doesnt know the left hand even exists. in other words, if it was fixed by one person, someone in a diffrent department can break it again. these companies are massive, and departments dont talk to each other. (sad to say this is something ive had to learn about recently.)

no idea what their internal policies are, but ofttimes you can request an escalation and/or talk to the supervisor and they basically have no choice but to fulfill your request immediately. dont raise your voice, dont get angry, just ask for the problem to be looked at by a higher level of support.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

This tell you anything?
http://www.dslreports.com/im/84350069/1759.png

I'm only getting about 50 kb/s downloading no matter where I download from...definitely not the 400 kb/s it says it is. I'll post a line quality test later when it finishes, even though I don't know what to make of that type of test.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

Beetle wrote:This tell you anything?
http://www.dslreports.com/im/84350069/1759.png
nothing other than its obviously slow as hell. speed test servers test absolutely nothing other than that, just speed.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

funny thing is, i would take 400 kb/s at this point.