Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Readers?

Discussion about anything.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: Readers?

Unread post by z0th »

thedoghouse wrote:see now the vampire conversation has started.

TWILIGHT IS DEAD

Code: Select all

${insert_stupid_vampires_are_dead_joke_here}
:-)
GrimGriz wrote:I've read the Anita Blake series...the furries would love it. Every time I hear about the Twilight stuff I just write it off as probably being no where near as good as the Anne Rice stuff (before she went batshit Christian that is).
after "interview" i thought that the rest of them felt a bit contrived.
Surreal

Unread post by Surreal »

I'm glad to see that some of you have heard of Terry Pratchett. He is probably my all time favorite author, and that is a really hard call for me to make. I can't tell you how many times I've read the discworld books, I have most of them on audio book as well.
The one with the tiny Scottish men IS a young adult book, but the rest of the Discworld series is not.
Despite being well into my twenties, I am still a big fan of the young adult genre. Tamora Pierce is probably my favorite YA writer. Her books are good easy reads with strong female characters (which sounds kind of trite, but they can be hard to come by).
Other authors I enjoy are Dave Sedaris, Chelsea Handler, Orson Scott Card, Anne Bishop, Neil Gaiman, Marion Zimmer Bradley (Avalon books), Anthony Bourdain... There are so many more, but those are all I can come up with at the moment.
Recently I've been on a real Memoir kick, specifically those written by polygamist women. Not sure what my fascination with that whole thing is, I blame Big Love. Part of it is that they are true stories, which is pretty hard to wrap your head around sometimes.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

GrimGriz wrote: I'm waiting for the next George R. R. Martin book, and the several that are out are pretty epic and should keep you occupied for awhile.
yea, ive been waiting for the next one to come out too, i had nearly forgotten about this, then read your post. considering he had huge amount of material, and then split it up into two books -- hes certainly taking his time with the second half. :-\
Surreal wrote:Other authors I enjoy are Dave Sedaris, Chelsea Handler, Orson Scott Card, Anne Bishop, Neil Gaiman, Marion Zimmer Bradley (Avalon books), Anthony Bourdain..
ive read the first in the "Enders" series. good book. i cant get enough of Gainmans stuff.
Surreal

Unread post by Surreal »

I LOVE Ender's game. I've been meaning to have Captain listen to the audio book with me (he doesn't read). Speaker for the Dead is the second one, and it is also good. I've been trying to read the rest of the series, but I am having trouble getting through the thrid book (Xenocide).
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

z0th wrote: yea, ive been waiting for the next one to come out too, i had nearly forgotten about this, then read your post. considering he had huge amount of material, and then split it up into two books -- hes certainly taking his time with the second half. :-\
I went to his blog or website or whatever last year to see how things were coming along and his post was about the superbowl or some shit. I was like DUDE WTF!! You're a dork what do you care about the foozball?
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

Surreal wrote:I LOVE Ender's game. I've been meaning to have Captain listen to the audio book with me (he doesn't read). Speaker for the Dead is the second one, and it is also good. I've been trying to read the rest of the series, but I am having trouble getting through the thrid book (Xenocide).
Have you read the sequel? its about bean. ENDER'S SHADOW i think it is. its not as good as the first but adds a lot of perspective to enders game.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
Surreal

Unread post by Surreal »

RandomGuy wrote:
Surreal wrote:I LOVE Ender's game. I've been meaning to have Captain listen to the audio book with me (he doesn't read). Speaker for the Dead is the second one, and it is also good. I've been trying to read the rest of the series, but I am having trouble getting through the thrid book (Xenocide).
Have you read the sequel? its about bean. ENDER'S SHADOW i think it is. its not as good as the first but adds a lot of perspective to enders game.
I haven't but I should. I was trying to read the series in the order that they were published rather than cronologically. Since I can't get through Xenocide I should really just give that one a try.