Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Never Judge a Book by its Cover

Discussion about anything.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17666999

Never Judge a Book by its Cover

Unread post by Kittylipstikk »

Ok,

so right now I am all hyped up about writing a Fantasy Novel. I have actually been trying to write this dang thing for a few years, but up until now Ive only been coming up with ideas. Now that I have accumulated ideas I can start :woop:

But I am curious as to what kinds of stories everyone else likes? It can be anything from Manga to Non-Fiction. Feel free to add your favorite books, authors, or any ideas that you think would make an awesome story. Also no stealing of peoples ideas, cuz I know I would Kill :commissar: if anyone tried to publish my idea as their own.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Re: Never Judge a Book by its Cover

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

i personally like to read fiction books that are loosely based around <insert here> mythology.
for example the series The Chronicals of Prydain (favorite books ever) are all based on Welsh mythology.

but write what you want to write about, you have all the power ms. author :D
if you finish and get it published ill buy a copy from you. seriously, im always looking for a good book to read.

i was writing a book for a while then i stopped. i just sort of lost interest, and ran into major writers block.

it was a fiction (i guess) book based on things that happened to me in real life, i just gave everyone differnt names. lol
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Manga to completely random/made-up fiction. I'm slightly like Plenty in that I like mythology, but it can honestly be completely made up gods and trail off from it's original story, eventually.

I also used to write a book. I got to like chapter seven "writing" it. And what I mean by that, is that I actually have continued the story in my head when I have absolutely nothing else to do. Earlier chapters are a little fuzzy, but it's always entertaining.
Life is whatever.
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

i like nonfiction and greek stuff, like xenophon's books his are really great, you think 300 was badass, this guy was 5654916 times more epic.. as for ficiton, fight club, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, so on and so forth.
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Thats awesome guys! I just love to read period and fantasy is my absolute favorite because it can be anything you want it to be.

I have my story pretty much outlined in my head, its just a matter of filling in all the detail and minor parts. I'll have to look up some of that other stuff tho :)
BAMF
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25128613
Xbox Gamer Tag: SomTervo

Unread post by BAMF »

I've always liked books like Kurt Vonnegut's. (Cat's Cradle is my favorite book of all time.)
I could never get into books with magic and shit, so I'm probably not your target audience, but I like them put in a realistic world, but one that's entirely insane. (Like the world of Slaughterhouse Five, which went batshit with Bill Pilgrim.)

Personally, I like my stories to have good characters. A nicely described setting can't hurt either.

I like memoirs, war stories, satire, and things in interesting settings.
TheBlindKhezu
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26179687
Location: In a land where the Eldritch Abomination known as the pyro lives

Unread post by TheBlindKhezu »

The ones i do enjoy that is fiction is The Discworld series which is made by a guy whose mind became messed up in his later years,Beowulf,The Inferno, and the Dark tower by Stephen king

and for nonfiction is.
most of Leo Tolstoy and Homer

and the books for Mythologies and folklore
all i got to say is The Norseman.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

For bizarre, unexplainable reasons, my two favorite reads were 1984 and Lolita. I don't expect either of those to relate to fantasy novels (perhaps the latter to the title of the thread). However, two mangas also stick out in my mind. In terms of comedy, for nothing else have I laughed so hard.

Hayate: the Combat Butler, with constant dry humor and breaking of the fourth wall, the odd love dodecahedron, I always get a kick every week from this manga.

The other manga is none other then Cyborg Grandpa G. Simply because it's ridiculousness ascended FLCL's and to me, was a hilarious read from beginning to end.

Those two mangas and two books are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but are prime examples that if you do it right, it doesn't matter what you do.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

I can't read :dance:

Haven't read a book since 4th grade when I realized that if I listened to the teacher talk about the book and the class review what we had read, I could pass the tests.

I know, what a loser, right?
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

captainangry wrote:I can't read :dance:

Haven't read a book since 4th grade when I realized that if I listened to the teacher talk about the book and the class review what we had read, I could pass the tests.

I don't know if I should call you a genius or not.

So I'll just leave with an :isee:
Life is whatever.
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19053068

Unread post by Guy Montag »

the discworld series by Terry Pratchett is unmitigated genius.

I myself have aspired to write a book, but the setting I've thought up strikes me as making a better video game. or comic. or something. oh well.

anyway, the key to quality writing is to actually practice. your first few stories will be shit, but eventually you'll stop using the same terms/words over and over and you'll have some strokes of genius that'll surprise you. above all else, you write what you know.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Guy Montag wrote:the discworld series by Terry Pratchett is unmitigated genius.
My GF has every book Pratchett has written on a shelf in our apartment. The covers look nice.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

captainAngry wrote:I can't read :dance:

I don't think you are a loser at all :) They have books on tape so ur covered.....but if you can read forums Im pretty sure you could read a book, question is can you keep urself interested lol :P
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Guy Montag wrote:anyway, the key to quality writing is to actually practice. your first few stories will be shit, but eventually you'll stop using the same terms/words over and over and you'll have some strokes of genius that'll surprise you. above all else, you write what you know.
This.

Editing is super important. Expect to rewrite the book several times. Also, just write what you want to write, don't get tied up trying to please us.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Riftoff wrote:
Guy Montag wrote:anyway, the key to quality writing is to actually practice. your first few stories will be shit, but eventually you'll stop using the same terms/words over and over and you'll have some strokes of genius that'll surprise you. above all else, you write what you know.
This.

Editing is super important. Expect to rewrite the book several times. Also, just write what you want to write, don't get tied up trying to please us.

Oh of course.....Im only doing this because the drive is there to write it for me and most importantly for my characters. I was just curious as to what you all like.....and inspiration comes from everywhere! I was watching some action movie and one of my characters popped into my head and said "I would do that!". So i guess its also for inspiration too :) I have also done a lot of research which has helped me figure out my writing style, how I want my book set up, research of characters and so on. I have started writing other stories as well as this one, but this one has been the only one to really stand out so Im goin with it. A few years ago when I wrote a few chapters they were kinda crappy, but Im pretty sure ive got the hang of it now....Im Confident! *thumbs up*
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

To the moon!