Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

New UI Discussion

Discussion about anything.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

New UI Discussion

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

I really like how this new steam UI is laid out and how it functions. However it will be taking time before all the bugs are fixed out.
Somehow when im on my laptop, the new version won't let me run any games. itll open them and then close them. I was forced to switch back to the old one to play any games.

But enough of me talking, lets hear how you like it dislike it.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Re: New UI Discussion

Unread post by Liquid Death »

Shift+tab doesn't seem to work while in a server for some reason.
That is my biggest complaint, and it's not like it doesn't happen sometimes on the old steam anyways.
Jimmy TwoTimes
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22756162
Xbox Gamer Tag: PQRKCHQP SAMICH

Unread post by Jimmy TwoTimes »

Im liking it so far. Its sleek...
Yes sir.
Royalblue
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:14610505

Unread post by Royalblue »

when im in mid-game i can sometimes ONLY see people's avatars so i have to depict who it is :(

also i can't see the person's text on few occasions when they try to message me.... which IS a bad thing.
There was a FLASH, and then everything was meaningless...... there was doom and gloom and there were no stars........................................There were only ZTARS.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

Well for me when the main window is open and I drag my mouse over it it lags to heck and my fans groan under the strain of the load on the PSU with the CPU usage going to 100%. I'm not so sure I like the new layout of the different tabs in the main window.

In game its pretty good, it seems to open the overlay quicker than the old version, however it takes a while to open friend windows or player windows and I don't like the one click open thing, I liked the double click in the old version.
Also when I tried to view someone's Steam ID page from the overlay, the overlay crashed and couldn't even be closed by task manager which is unusual. It still jumps out of the overlay sometimes as it did with the old one, no idea why. Only used it for one day so I suppose I've not found all the other bugs.

What I do like is that you can now see what ach you recently got in the overlay, and what people have invited you to, e.g. when FlamimSarge added me to his friends list, i saw the invite in the friends list at the top, same thing happened when someone invited me to a group. As for the text colour, well that is nowhere near as clear as it was in the old version, e.g. the /me thing is not quite the same colour as your name anymore and the other persons text is not white either, making it difficult to tell at a glance who said what. I like that you can see the current local time in the overlay.

I notice they've changed the sound for when someone messages you while in game to one that is not as harsh on the ears which is good, but it can get lost if your having some intense gaming.

As for the new colour of "black" its more a light grey and I liked the old black better.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

I like the concept. The library is cool, how you can see your games (total number of hours and other friends who play it as well) But yea it definitely needs some work. Shift + tab in game is the only thing that's been really glitchy for me but other then that I haven't had too many problems with it. It would be a cool feature to be able to edit your font and stuff but w/e
ImageImage
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

ive been having problems too with shift+tab. like, sometimes the chatbox closes when i shift+tab. that and the text appears invisible on the players name and chat text. other than that, the general layout is sorta confusing but with use, itll become friendly.

that and i cant wait for mac osx version to come out.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Hanzo_blade wrote:I like the concept. The library is cool, how you can see your games (total number of hours and other friends who play it as well) But yea it definitely needs some work. Shift + tab in game is the only thing that's been really glitchy for me but other then that I haven't had too many problems with it. It would be a cool feature to be able to edit your font and stuff but w/e
You can edit the font. Somebody shows you how to do it based on the TF2 font here, and I'm pretty sure all you have to do to make it completely custom is to just change the font name to any font saved on your computer.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

If you're having problems with using "Shift+Tab" to open it, change it. I switched mine to end and it works perfectly.
Life is whatever.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

Well the lagging issue I was having has been rectified, and the in game chat issue where the message would overlap part of the name making it unreadable, has also been rectified. But now in I'm not in game but using chat it sometimes glitches so that it looks like the /me switch has been used but that I've also changed my name slightly, and it all goes the same colour, e.g. if it glitches after I send something it goes blue (cos I wasn't in-game), if someone else says something it would turn green, but blue if they are not in game (I'm just assuming that). So far its only happened in a chat with Overmaster who is not using the Beta. If anyone else is having the same glitch thats good to know, but with only a limited amount of cC members in the Beta I'm not expecting many people to have the same problem. What it looks like when it glitches:
What it looks like when it glitches.
What it looks like when it glitches.
Steam Client UI Beta chat glitch.JPG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
EDIT: It happened in a chat with Divine Fate, so its not just that one chat window, if anyone else has the same glitch let me know so I don't feel so privileged :D.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free