Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

lag problems

How may we help you?
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19595711

lag problems

Unread post by pleasenopouncing »

hey guys i have been having lag problems as u all probably know from my incessant ranting about it. it happens in all my online games(tf2,l4d,zps,and es) they all lag the same way. :cry:

i opened the net graph to see if that would help me understand the problem. my fps is fine, but what i did see was my ping rating go sky rocketing.but when i checked in game ping it was around the same it is usually. my bro said it might be something in the background of my computer but i have not seen anything and i have restarted my computer and have done virus scans so it is not spy ware. then i realized it happens more on servers with a lot of people on it and less so on severs with few people. but i still don't know what the problem is so if u have any suggestions or may need any more info to help u help me find the problem i will be very thankful.
plz dont do what my avatar is doing ty

in l4d plz no pouncing. in tf2 plz no burning.
if u do this i will be very happy but i know it wont happen =(
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: lag problems

Unread post by captainAngry »

Yesterday when you were lagging I showed you at a ping of about 85. When my ping gets that high, I lag like crazy. Has anything with your internet connection changed to your knowledge?

Do you download torrents and stuff while you are playing? Maybe someone else in your house? A lot of downloads and uploads while you are playing can effect network speed.
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

85 is fine for me. when i hit about 150 is the area, and when people r uploading/downloading something my ping hits 900 and i cant play until they r done. i also should mention that the lag is more slowing my character down (like i am scout then the lag happens and i am slower than a heavy). it only lasts a few seconds but it happens alot.

i never do downloads when playing

Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

If you use your computer for purposes other than gaming, then other programs running in the background can ruin your connections/cpu. Even if you restart your computer or run a virus scan, some program that you installed is set to run at startup, just check to make sure you close all unnecessary programs before you start gaming.
KEKEKE
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7708842

Unread post by KEKEKE »

Do you lag no matter what server you are playing in? If you only lag in certain servers it's possible theres just a bad hop between you and the server you are playing in.

Other than that it could be either you internet service provider or your computer. Have a freind bring their computer over and play at your house. If they get the same latency you do then there you go. It's just the internet. If they don't it's something to do with your computer or NIC or somethin.

Thats the only way I can think to troubleshoot lag.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I'd listen to Keke. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to networks.
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Divine Fate wrote:If you use your computer for purposes other than gaming, then other programs running in the background can ruin your connections/cpu. Even if you restart your computer or run a virus scan, some program that you installed is set to run at startup, just check to make sure you close all unnecessary programs before you start gaming.
always do divine :D

KEKEKE wrote:Do you lag no matter what server you are playing in? If you only lag in certain servers it's possible theres just a bad hop between you and the server you are playing in.

Other than that it could be either you internet service provider or your computer. Have a freind bring their computer over and play at your house. If they get the same latency you do then there you go. It's just the internet. If they don't it's something to do with your computer or NIC or somethin.

Thats the only way I can think to troubleshoot lag.

i did try on other servers and same thing. my bro has tf2 and he has no problems,and i used to play on a desktop and i did not have lag problems so its my computer but cant figure out what it is.

my bro is pretty good with computers and he cant really figure it out

captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

It happened when you changed to a laptop? Maybe it is your wireless connection then.
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

well my brother has a wireless connection too and he is fine.but maybe