Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Where We Are

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Where We Are

Unread post by captainAngry »

I have been getting a few questions about how I am doing and how I feel like things are going so I figured I would write a quick post to let you all know what I am thinking.

I honestly think things are going great. I know a few people are a little upset at how the fun Server has been stripped of admins. I have been trying to address those concerns and problem areas as they come up but I don't really think that the server is going poorly. The goal of any server is to keep it populated and that server is populated now more often than ever.

The regular server does seem to be a bit under populated lately. I think this has to do with a few things but mainly due to the fact that school started not too long ago. I'm sure as people get settled into their new environments and as the boredom of winter sets in people will be playing more often.

I am trying to work out the best way to test new maps now. The map contest we have been sponsoring is coming to a close next Friday. I believe that I will likely be a judge. After the contest is over we won't have to test maps that we know we don't like and we won't be testing as many alpha maps unless they are interesting.

All of the ratings are now live ratings as in when you rate something it immediately shows up on the web server. Also, we now have a shit ton of maps in our regular rotation. When I first implemented the rating system it was a way to filter out all the bad maps and make a varied map rotation. Now that we have ratings on over 650 maps I am trying to shift the ratings to be geared more towards keeping the best of the best on the server. To move towards that I recently setup the server to ask for ratings 100% of the time, rather than just during play tests. This means that as the maps get played, we will eventually have much better ratings of the maps that will actually represent an average opinion of the map rather than the opinion of 20-50 people.

One thing that does make me nervous is that currently the last backup of the main server was in June. The other servers all get backed up every week but this server has so many maps that the hosting provider simply stopped backing it up to save server storage space. This doesn't really mean anything, but at some point I may go through the server and delete the maps that don't meet the rating criteria to try and get a newer backup. I had one short lived scare where I thought we almost lost everything but I ended up being able to fix it.

Anyway, if anyone has any concerns about how things are going or changes they would like made, let me know. Obviously I want to make this a successful group and I still think we are doing well.

-Captain
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Re: Where We Are

Unread post by rudedog04 »

I would like to make a suggestion.

The only problem i am having on the funserver 24/7 is all the mic spams that are going on. I am a contributor to the problem, i admit, but when I am not on or in another game i get at least 10 people PMing me because there is no control over who is doing what. So what I want is not for the mic spams to stop completely but to have some control over it.

So I'm asking, if it is a possibility, for a plugin that stops all mic spams through the Admin list so I can have control over when HLDJ/HLSS sounds can be used.
Image Image
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

I don't like how there's absolutely zero control on the funserver most of the time. Sure, there was the occasional whiny bitch complaining about something or other, or some admin abusing their powers (cough O-Prime cough), but it was kept under control for the most part. The whiny bitches were easily delt with and admin abuse could be solved by giving a person a trial period of admin powers and getting a statement from regulars. I guess what i'm saying is, I miss the old funserver.
Life is whatever.
Rage Quit Master

Unread post by Rage Quit Master »

im glad that most admins were stripped of their powers they were over doing the abusing part and yes the mic spam has to stop really i dont wanna go to the fun server anymore cause of them i mean you can barely talk and theres like 3 people mic spamming at the same time
Alphaphail
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

PhrozenFlame wrote:I don't like how there's absolutely zero control on the funserver most of the time. Sure, there was the occasional whiny bitch complaining about something or other, or some admin abusing their powers (cough O-Prime cough), but it was kept under control for the most part. The whiny bitches were easily delt with and admin abuse could be solved by giving a person a trial period of admin powers and getting a statement from regulars. I guess what i'm saying is, I miss the old funserver.
I like how selective the memory can get over time. The funserver before these changes was hell. I don't think I need to remind you of the ychan incident.
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

i think for the fun server, all cC members should have only the admin power to mute.
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Well the thing is, Ghost, the funserver is suppose to be SOMEWHAT hectic and fun. That's why we have the funcommands (timebomb, freeze, drug, etc.) and the presents for our enjoyment. The mic spams as well were an option to us. When we overuse or abuse such freedom, it's not fun anymore. Now such freedom needs to be limited. This is why we need a system that controls when sound files are allowed to be played on the funserver.
Image Image
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I get on, hear the constant mic spamming, and wonder why no one is annoyed enough to speak up. I don't see how you can sit there and listen to that the whole time.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Riftoff wrote:
PhrozenFlame wrote:I don't like how there's absolutely zero control on the funserver most of the time. Sure, there was the occasional whiny bitch complaining about something or other, or some admin abusing their powers (cough O-Prime cough), but it was kept under control for the most part. The whiny bitches were easily delt with and admin abuse could be solved by giving a person a trial period of admin powers and getting a statement from regulars. I guess what i'm saying is, I miss the old funserver.
I like how selective the memory can get over time. The funserver before these changes was hell. I don't think I need to remind you of the ychan incident.
The Ychan incident wasn't caused by zero control but overall admin stupidity and that is a personal thing.

Plus, it seems like a majority of cC members are just AVOIDING the server. Sure, it's nice to branch out a bit, but when a majority of us funserver mains start playing on different servers suddenly, there's a good chance there's a problem.
Life is whatever.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote:
Riftoff wrote:
The Ychan incident wasn't caused by zero control but overall admin stupidity and that is a personal thing.

Plus, it seems like a majority of cC members are just AVOIDING the server. Sure, it's nice to branch out a bit, but when a majority of us funserver mains start playing on different servers suddenly, there's a good chance there's a problem.
Not much of a problem, but more to actually getting some air and getting out of the funserver being a good thing(at least for a bit). I see that we do have some 24/7 funserver junkies here, but we also got ppl who play serious and need to get out of that atmosphere and well, chill. I would actually have to recommend to these junkies that this game is more to just "Harbl_Hotel" and "Arena_Grid_Walls". Things do get hectic when you stay on that server for more than 10hrs a day or 50hrs a week.

The Ychan incident was only part of the chaos that happens here. This is the outcome that occurs when ppl are on NONSTOP. Its one of many reasons cC members try to avoid or can avoid pretty easily(depending on your stupidity or lack of serious gameplay). My opinion, that little trial version of the admin powers was good and bad in many cases. I'd be happy either way if it came back or not. We surely need more admins, but I don't see that this trial version will produce enough authority that it will stick into non-reg's minds.
Image Image
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

rudedog04 wrote:
PhrozenFlame wrote:
Riftoff wrote:

Not much of a problem, but more to actually getting some air and getting out of the funserver being a good thing(at least for a bit). I see that we do have some 24/7 funserver junkies here, but we also got ppl who play serious and need to get out of that atmosphere and well, chill. I would actually have to recommend to these junkies that this game is more to just "Harbl_Hotel" and "Arena_Grid_Walls". Things do get hectic when you stay on that server for more than 10hrs a day or 50hrs a week.

The Ychan incident was only part of the chaos that happens here. This is the outcome that occurs when ppl are on NONSTOP. Its one of many reasons cC members try to avoid or can avoid pretty easily(depending on your stupidity or lack of serious gameplay). My opinion, that little trial version of the admin powers was good and bad in many cases. I'd be happy either way if it came back or not. We surely need more admins, but I don't see that this trial version will produce enough authority that it will stick into non-reg's minds.
That's why I said 'good chance'. I'm just a bit bored with TF2 at the moment. Maybe allow the funserver to go back to the way it was ONLY on the weekends? I'm sure it can be done, and might take 15 minutes to change the server back and forth every friday and sunday night.
Life is whatever.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Changing server settings never takes more than a minute once we know what we change. Most things can be changed by executing a config file.
gervangster
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21044401
Xbox Gamer Tag: gervangster

Unread post by gervangster »

PhrozenFlame wrote:
rudedog04 wrote:
PhrozenFlame wrote:
Riftoff wrote:

That's why I said 'good chance'. I'm just a bit bored with TF2 at the moment. Maybe allow the funserver to go back to the way it was ONLY on the weekends? I'm sure it can be done, and might take 15 minutes to change the server back and forth every friday and sunday night.
I really like that idea, weekends are when we have more time. I dont know what we would change to make it "funner", but im sure we could think of something.
Image Image
tHeReAlSuSaN
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19560363
Xbox Gamer Tag: Jess DA MEXICAN

Unread post by tHeReAlSuSaN »

We could have on sunday night an all admin day where everyone gets the basic admin powers...and where we could promote cc and all of other servers to the large amount of people that will be drawn by this prospect. While it may be hectic we could do it for one month only as a special promotion to increase intrest to our server...we could even do it on our regular server and advertise for it on our fun server. Just a thought about how to increase overall visiting...that and we should make our 3rd server to a 24/7 2fort server to increase visitors
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

tHeReAlSuSaN wrote:We could have on sunday night an all admin day where everyone gets the basic admin powers...and where we could promote cc and all of other servers to the large amount of people that will be drawn by this prospect. While it may be hectic we could do it for one month only as a special promotion to increase intrest to our server...we could even do it on our regular server and advertise for it on our fun server. Just a thought about how to increase overall visiting...that and we should make our 3rd server to a 24/7 2fort server to increase visitors
Now where's the fun in having basic admin? And the 3rd server is closed.
Image Image
xxSushixx
Steam ID: STEAM_1:1:17469300
Xbox Gamer Tag: Grog95

Unread post by xxSushixx »

I thought that I might post my opinion about the fun server even though it may have no effect at all, since i don't think I'm that well known at all .but i'd thought I'd go ahead and post it anyway since I do favor the main server as my favorite server :awesome: . Personally, and this is just my opinion, I absolutely hate the fun server, mostly because there is no control over the the stupidity that goes on there, my opinion. All the mic spamming, having melee mode on every map,and voting to extend break floor 6 times really makes me avoid it completely (just one incident that happened that pretty much turned me off of the fun server). I know this is pretty much a rant but I hope this helps a little =)
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

John/Killer95 wrote:I thought that I might post my opinion about the fun server even though it may have no effect at all, since i don't think I'm that well known at all .but i'd thought I'd go ahead and post it anyway since I do favor the main server as my favorite server :awesome: . Personally, and this is just my opinion, I absolutely hate the fun server, mostly because there is no control over the the stupidity that goes on there, my opinion. All the mic spamming, having melee mode on every map,and voting to extend break floor 6 times really makes me avoid it completely (just one incident that happened that pretty much turned me off of the fun server). I know this is pretty much a rant but I hope this helps a little =)
Yeah, I pretty much covered all that dude.
Life is whatever.