Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Which PC game...

General discussion about gaming.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Which PC game...

Unread post by GrimGriz »

this may not apply for some of you....but:

I used to be a console gamer, and then there was a point when I went PC and never really went back. I mean, I own a Wii, and I'll play a console game when I have friends over or when I'm at a friends, as PCs dont' tend to lend themselves to single-computer multiplayer...but I'm definitely a PC gamer and shun console games to a great extent.

I'm curious if the same is true of you, which PC game converted you?

For me, it was Warcraft II, the Tides of Darkness that really sucked me into computer gaming.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Re: Which PC game...

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

I am the same grim... The game that sucked me in was Tactical ops assault on terror, and then tf2 tied the knot.
ImageImage
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

I can only do FPS on a computer.

What really turned me off from consoles was the xbox. All of the multi player games on there only allow two people to play at once. So if I hard 4 friends over and wanted to play L4D, a specifically 4 player game, I would have to either play online or system link two systems and two TVs. That's fucking stupid, no matter what the rationale is.

I play my Wii when people come over or when a new Mario or Zelda comes out. I play games like guitar hero or banjo kazooee on my xbox.

I spend way more time playing PC games. With games like TF2 or L4D when it makes a huge difference when you know the people you are playing with, it is almost impossible to get the same kind of game play on a console. Yeah you can have a friends list but it isn't the same as the community we have here.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

For me it depends on the game. FPSs are only for PC. Don't get me started on this one because in my mind the idea of a FPS on a console is like eating a pile of shit. Playing a FPS with a console controller would be like trying to ski with a couple of logs tied to your feet. However, platformers and sports games are often very good, sometimes better on consoles. Strategy games like Warcraft and Civilization should be PC only, I don't even know how you would play them on a console that just sounds stupid. The Wii has a lof of games that I think are really fun that you couldn't play on the PC. As far as I am concerned if it's on PC then it should only be on PC. As for the game that solidifies this idea for me, Quake. I started playing Quake on PC when it first came out. In it's time it was the best FPS and multiplayer around. I had a Nintendo 64 and a friend got me to rent Quake for it. It was like going from walking around to being in a wheelchair. I was so pissed off at how crappy it was I threw a controller accross the room and broke it. I wasn't just mad that it made the game suck to be on a console, I was actually angry that someone would put it on the console knowing how much it takes away from the game. The last time that I allowed someone to talk me into playing a shooter on a console was when Farcry came out for Xbox 360. My friend's much younger brother brought it to a party at my house. To humour him I played one round of it. When he started trash talking me, OMG I yelled at him and threw the disc out of my front door telling him that if he ever brought that shit into my house again I would shove the borken shards of the disc up his ass.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Plastic Jesus wrote:When he started trash talking me, OMG I yelled at him and threw the disc out of my front door telling him that if he ever brought that shit into my house again I would shove the borken shards of the disc up his ass.
So kinda like now except with rage-quitting :D

Back in the heyday of N64 I was pretty good at quake 2. I tried playing it recently and couldn't even walk around properly.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

And I thought the captain hand anger management issues.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

I've been slowly transferring to the pc starting from my PS2.... My first real pc game (like Grim) was Warcraft 2. Then when Warcraft 3 came out I was in love with that game. Now I'm all pc pretty much. I just don't have the money to support 60 dollar games.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Gamefly dude. I haven't bought a game since.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

I was definitely thinking about doing gamefly but I have other obligations for my money first.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I have gamefly too. The best part is that if you do want to keep the game you can buy it for whatever the used price is and they will ship you your next game and the case and manual for the game you bought.
tHeReAlSuSaN
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19560363
Xbox Gamer Tag: Jess DA MEXICAN

Unread post by tHeReAlSuSaN »

The game that got me into pc gaming would have to be...
Warcraft 3 TFT
What ev ,What ev, I do what I want...
-Eric Cartman
steiner949
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7276060

Unread post by steiner949 »

This is really dating me back, but if I recall it was Descent that got me playing pc games. Then I started playing Warcraft 1, then 2. I have always been a pc gamer, just play console for when I have company. I just wish RE:5 was out on PC...
Give the hardest job to the laziest person, and they will find the easiest way to do it.
StrudelB
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20251166

Unread post by StrudelB »

Call of Duty 2. Then I bought a Wii. Then I bought Call of Duty 4 and got right back into PC. Then I bought Brawl. Then I got TF2 and everything was OK.
Am I back?
Who knows?
All I know is that I'm gonna play some more TF2.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Descent!!! I love that game!! I'm loving all the warcraft players on here. I thought I was the only one....
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I used to play Descent with two joysticks. I couldn't be stopped. I loved how other people could not grasp the concept of moving in 3D.
steiner949
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I also still remember playing TIE Fighter, and X-Wing. There was also the one Star Wars game that you didn't actually move it was just a rail shooter, but you could click anywhere to make choices about some things. Cannot for the life of me remeber the name, I know in the sequel you fought the Phantom TIE Fighters. That had to be about 10-15 years ago, man I am getting old.
Give the hardest job to the laziest person, and they will find the easiest way to do it.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Was it by any chance "Starwars Rebel Assault"? I'm looking at the case right now. I love that game as well.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

I didn't have a computer for the longest time so consoles were great. They still have benefits like multiple players in one room, and none of my friends have comps (well, a few weeks ago I helped a friend set-up a comp his mom sent him, gonna stuff my old gpu and ram in it pretty soon).

But Thief II was the first PC game that really hooked me. Mostly for level editing/modelling as I always wanted to do that. I was probably making a level before even finishing the game. That lasted for years, then I joined Darkmod team to make a Thief-like game out of doom. If anyone liked Thief I recommend trying Darkmod, we've got a few beta levels and user created levels already. http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/ All you need is a copy of Doom3.

I messed around with Morrowind for awhile, but that game gets boring.

Then a saw something about Battlefield heros, thought it looked cool and someone at Darkmod forums said 'they just copied TF2'. SO I went and bought Orange Box and it has sadly dominated my life for about a year now.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
steiner949
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Dude, I think that was it! I remember it was real limited to everything you could do. Man was that a long time ago.
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

starcraft
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

arkawn wrote:starcraft
Same. Absolutely loved that game, still do.
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

in 11th and 12th grade programming all we would ever do is play starcraft

teacher joined in too
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

ijji gunz or soldat, both free. before that when i was like 8 i would play sims and age of mythology.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

(One of Goose's money obligations. C: SO just kidding. )

I've always played on the computer. I haven't really ever played much consul games.
I love the sims, spore, peggle, all the little mini games for Pc and that's all I play.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

before i was pc gamer i was a console gamer. now since im a pc gamer i am never playing xbox again. the game that really made me become a pc gamer probably counterstrike source. this is what happend. my friend who is a hardcore console gamer sometimes plays pc and he was like "there is this kewl program where u can download games and stuff called steam" so i downloaded steam and instantly bought css then portal and then i was so hooked a few days later i bought the orange box and was addicted to HL2 and TF2. so for tf2 and hl2 u dont need a modern gaming pc. but then when i saw crysis i was like "oh my god! im getting a new pc for my bday". so i got this gaming pc. its really good. so i guess the games that made me become a pc gamer is orange box and css and crysis.
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

I actually didn't have a PC that could play games made in the 21st century until last summer, and the game that made me get a PC would be Oblivion.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

For all the Warcraft 3 players: If you ever played custom matches you've played DoTA. Try this game

http://pc.ign.com/objects/903/903770.html

It's very very similar to dota.
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

Unread post by 4most »

i would have to day i have been a pc gamer most of my life and console for friends. But the game that got me was the Fallout series.(New Reno lol)
8-)

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Awww... the original fallout... Sassy's grandpa is big into games and he lent me that entire series. Including Fallout 3.
steiner949
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Man I remember when Fallout was on the demo CD from PC Gaming (I think that was the mag) and shooting the Brahmin was always so much fun. "My groin is the groin of fire!"