Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

ZF maps on the fun server

Discuss any problems with the server and make suggestions for improvement.

Should ZF maps be moved?

Yes
44%
No
19%
Mute Thursday
38%

Total votes: 16

MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

ZF maps on the fun server

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Some dudes where complaining on a ZF map that these should be on the second server. Just wanted to raise the issue here.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: ZF maps on the fun server

Unread post by captainAngry »

I think that as of right now the second server seem like it is very useful but I think as we gain more members we will be able to have people on both servers more regularaly and any person who wants to play with us can make a choice on which type of game they want to play.

It will take a little whole to get going and I know the timing wasn't great to starting a second server but I think down the line it will be of great use to giving people what they want and keeping everyone happy.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Why do polls always have to be so hard? Of course I wanted to vote 'mute Thursday' :) but had to go with zf on fun server instead.
I think it's a good way to host them and not drive people away from the reg server.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

But when to you realize the people that came to the regular server were coming for the crazy mix of normal customs and weird ass customs? :leo:
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

True. But some maps are almost too out there for most people.

I think King of the Train is a border line map that works good on the normal server. The gameplay is kindof crazy and intense but you can still basically play TF2. To me that is what a map probably needs to be on the reg server. Battle of the Gods fits this bill imo, unusual gameplay but still tf2, you can play any class with all weapons, etc....

Zombie maps (while I admit I was intrigued at first) aren't the same. You get stuck in classes you don't want to play, stuck in melee, alot of them are just too dark to be enjoyable, ... It pulls you out of tf2 gameplay and throws you into something completely different. Jump maps are like this as well.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

There are particular maps that some people refuse to play on and other people love. Those are maps that should be on the fun server.

It's just like original said, some maps are just too out there. A map like KOTH_rainbow, while technically it has the aspects of a TF2 map and can be played like one, it is too radically different to be enjoyed by everyone. Using KOTH_rainbow as an example, for every 1 person that joins the server because of the crazy unique map, 2 people leave because they don't like it. If all the crazy maps were grouped together, that wouldn't be an issue. People would still join for the crazy maps but no one would leave because of it, they would know what to expect.

I don't think I am going to have a problem finding a good rotation of maps for the regular custom server. We already have over 100 maps on there and only a handful are questionable as to weather or not they break the normal flow of the server. ZF maps have a good amount of draw to them but there are plenty of people, myself included, that don't really enjoy ZP maps unless they are in the mood to play that kind of game. It turns TF2 into a kind of survival horror game instead of a FPS. Having these maps in the rotation seems to break the mood of the server, which isn't good.

Also, keep in mind that at minimum 75% of the people on our server are regulars and know what to expect when they join the server. Personally I feel like most people who join a customMaps server join because they don't want to play the valve maps. People who don't play custom maps usually look for a 24/7 valve map server or some variation (no respawn, etc.) Those two groups probably account for almost every TF2 player, with everyone else being griefers or people who want to play some random map or mod (mario kart and baloon race come to mind).

All of text, i'll stop now.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

Ok I would like to vote that we move all zf maps to the second server EXCEPT for Zf_Dustbowl because THAT is an awesome zf map
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝