Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

We Got Another Server

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

We Got Another Server

Unread post by captainAngry »

I just signed up for another server. It is a 12 person TF2 server in Chicago.

It will probably take me a few days to get it setup and I have no idea what I want to do with it, but I felt it was a good time to get another server for a few reasons.

The main reason is that the hosting provider I use (http://discountgameservers.com) recently started taking requests for new servers again. The server we have is awesome and amazingly cheap. I have told people that it is a $100 for $30 a month (the 12 man server is only $10 a month). Discount Game Servers is part of https://www.nfoservers.com/. I assume they made their discount site to fill up some vacant server space. The difference between the two is that I don't get much of a control panel, I don't get a free Vent server and I don't get unlimited web hosting (which I already have anyway). If I were to order a server from NFOservers.com identical to the main server we have today, it would run us $103.99 a month.

I have been thinking of getting a second server for a while now but what was keeping me was the fact that I would have to pay big bucks for a second server. http://discountgameservers.com stopped taking requests for new servers shortly after I started the first one. Since they started taking requests again as of yesterday (for a limted time only) I decided I would get another server with the minimum everything until we can decide what to do with it. I wil update player slots on the server as needed, and as the server funds allows.

Ohh, and they don't offer L4D servers, otherwise I would have grabbed one of those too.

Server Info:
216.52.143.45:27015

I have sourcemod installed and all my admins are admins on the new system as well, however I don't have any plugins installed yet and I won't until we know what we want to do with the server. It's running as a vanilla server right now. If anyone has any ideas or wants to plan any kind of event to make use of the server, let me know. I am willing to install anything on the new server and hand the keys over to anyone for whatever reason.

Don't forget that this community is primaraly run on donations and this is what has allowed us to expand the ways we have. If you are happy with the way things are going and have a few bucks lying around, donations are greatly appreciated.

-Captain
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Re: We Got Another Server

Unread post by g_e_oos »

We could use this server as a way to substitute for jump map day. Basically use it as a screw off server. That would also alleviate the problems like Daed had. So for plugins, I believe it was Hurtme who said something about one where you could save your position on jump maps. That would be good.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

I was going to buy my own server, but have it under the cC name soon, but I guess this is still awesome. I shouldn't buy my server now and end cannibalizing our hype, so I guess I will share my idea for a server.

Weekly playlists:
Every Wednesday (or whenever really), we would set up a new rotation. They would be maps that have been playtested on server 1 and are well liked by the community. The rotation would be forced, no rtv, no voting. The rotation could have a certain theme for holidays or other happenings.

Example Rotation:
Dustbowl (2 full rounds)
Offblast (Play to three twice)
Badlands (2 rounds)
Chaos (2 rounds)
Warpath (2 rounds or 25 minutes, whichever comes first)
Repository (2 rounds)
Ravine (Play to three twice)
Blockfort (15 minutes)

What do you guys think?
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I like all the ideas thus far and either one would be easy enough to impilment. There are all sorts of server settings that have to be worked out for jump maps that I don't really want to fuck with on the main server, but would be willing to play with on the new server. I could easaly make a config file that ran only on jump maps that would add these features once I got everything worked out. It's just hard for me to test settings on the server when it has bunch of people on it, which won't be an issue since we have a second server now.

Riftoff, I like your ideas too and if you really wanted to manage something like this I could give you access and explain how it would need to be done.

Theme nights could be good. We could do Riftoffs idea a few nights, jump a night or two, arena a night or two or whatever. The only issue we have right now is that the server only has 12 slots so anything would have to be small. I would be willing up upgrade it if I received some kind of donation in the next couple days.

If anyone else was thinking about making a new server, It might be a good idea to talk to me first. I may be able to setup the server and then all you would have to do is make a donation to cover whatever costs you wanted to cover. It would help in that I would be able to hook into our admin lists, map ratings and default server settings a lot easier if I set it up.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

I had been thinking about getting a L4D server. It's not that expesinve from what I can see, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing it all. I'd want it to be available for versus.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I am fairly certain that the map you are on determines how many people can join your server. A versus map would allow 8 and a non versus map would allow 4. The servers I have looked at were all 8 person servers so that shouldn't be an issue.

Then you can do
"director_no_human_zombies" = "1"
Which would prevent humans from joining the zombie team if you wanted to do that.

If you are really serious about it and want me to set it up for you and give you full access to everything, let me know. Finding servers is tough though. I tested probably 25 servers at a handful of providers before I found a provider I was happy with. I would fully recomend the provider I have for our TF2 servers but the cost is almost double what you find elsewhere. I know gowness runs a L4D server so maybe he has a suggestion.

There is a reason our server gets updated first when updates come out :D

[Edit: spoke with gowness. He runs the server out of his home when it is up.]
[Edit 2: the director_no_human_zombies var is auto set when the map changes. You don't really have to do anything special to run the server, just pick the maps you want to be available.]
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Yours truly would have preferred a Gmod server. But it looks like this will be used for mucking around in as well. :awesome:
Last edited by MrKerplunkers on 17 Mar 2009, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19595711

Unread post by pleasenopouncing »

we could make this new server our closed server so only members can use it but just my opinion what ever u do with it will probably be cool. we could use it as a testing area for new maps and admin powers so we dont have to do that on our current server.
plz dont do what my avatar is doing ty

in l4d plz no pouncing. in tf2 plz no burning.
if u do this i will be very happy but i know it wont happen =(
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I can certainly lock it down for any reason without any notice if anyone wants to use it for anything specific. Doesn't make a difference to me.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

A server for 1v1 would be cool, well for now as the player limit is 12.
pleasenopouncing wrote:we could make this new server our closed server so only members can use it but just my opinion what ever u do with it will probably be cool. we could use it as a testing area for new maps and admin powers so we dont have to do that on our current server.
The locked server idea is also great, since we could use it for anything we don't want to mess up with on the normal server.

EDIT: Perhaps a more competitive server, including some stock map rotations and rankings.
Last edited by Divine Fate on 17 Mar 2009, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

Plastic Jesus wrote:I had been thinking about getting a L4D server. It's not that expesinve from what I can see, but I wouldn't know how to go about doing it all. I'd want it to be available for versus.
Since Captain said the one he uses doesn't do L4D, I thought I'd point this out:

Apparently if you click that and end up renting I get a discount on my bill for referring you. Apparently there's a sale on servers in Dallas....
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

The link didn't show up but I have hurd that gameservers.com stacks too many game servers on their boxes and have receved some bad PR because of it.

Anyway, it's the cheapest server around and you get what you pay for :D
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Yeah, the sales thing was on the banner link-to page so I cut all that out in an edit :)

I can't complain ....yet... They were having a similar sale when I got mine, and my 24-slot is only $18 a month. Since I cancelled my WoW sub when I started playing TF2 again I felt absolutely no guilt :)
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

when i first saw the second sever thing i was thinking "WTF?" but now we can use it for clan matches.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

Shoulda made a l4d server instead
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Wamp Rats wrote:Shoulda made a l4d server instead
Did you not read Caps post?
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Breal
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19757438

Unread post by Breal »

I think we should do the locked server idea and put rtd on it
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Liquid Death wrote:when i first saw the second sever thing i was thinking "WTF?" but now we can use it for clan matches.
Yeah, competitive play seems to be 6v6 for some reason. Now you can do first string and second string teams of 6 and have them practice against each other :)
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I found a decent cheap L4D server and wanted to post a link for the sake of finding it later, should we decide to get a L4D server as well:
http://www.wolfservers.com/main2/index. ... rvers.html
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

captainangry wrote:I found a decent cheap L4D server and wanted to post a link for the sake of finding it later, should we decide to get a L4D server as well:
http://www.wolfservers.com/main2/index. ... rvers.html
YESH WE SHOULD preferably one where my ping isn't above 150 ;)
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
MazaFaka
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by MazaFaka »

I was thinking we could have the server as a Cc fun server, where Cc members can fool around with each other, it also makes sense since there is only 12 slots...
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

The server is a fun server already and it now has 20 slots. Everyone has more admin powers on that server.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Just wanted to post this so I remember. It's for a good L4D server that is cheap and highly recoomended:
http://magnirack.com/game
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

maybe a tf2 server with no rules? :woop:

i mean like have sv_cheats 1 always set so everyone can do console commands like no clip and etc. that would be crazy :woop:
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Need donations or some kind of way to make money before we'll be getting any more servers.
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

captainangry wrote:Need donations or some kind of way to make money before we'll be getting any more servers.
I would donate but I don't have job so that means I don't have money
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.