Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

The 3 Video Games You Think Everyone Should Try Thread

General discussion about gaming.
Boreas
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

The 3 Video Games You Think Everyone Should Try Thread

Unread post by Boreas »

I know there have been multiple favorite game threads and maybe even one like this, but I wanted to start a organized thread of this to see what other games maybe I should be playing.

A couple of ground rules:

1) Don't Insult peoples choices, it is their feelings on a game not yours. So if I want to say that I believe Pretty princess pony rider is the best game over that's up to me.

2) List ONLY 3 games, I know its hard. Some peoples favorite list read like libraries.

3) List only once. If you play a game that changes your life and you must absolutely add it then go back and edit it in to your post (while taking one out, remember only 3).

Some Suggestions:

1) Write a blurb why you think the game is worth playing/buying, try and keep it to a paragraph max though I personally don't want to read a review of the game.

2) It is okay to include expansions of the regular game in as well as part of your choice, like Half Life 2 + the Episodes.

3) Try and stick to PC games, I know some people don't pc game as much as others perhaps, but we all pretty much share the platform together considering what this group is based around (I for example have all the last gen but none of the current gen consoles). Plus it is easier to get pc games from any era thanks to all the new download services popping up, though consoles are following close behind.

4) Halflife 2 and Team Fortress 2 are probably already givens so you probably don't need to list them.

5) Don't be afraid of duplicating something from someone else's list, just means the game was enjoyed by multiple people. So it has even more value.

6) Try and list the type of game it is.
Last edited by Boreas on 03 Sep 2009, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.
Boreas
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: The 3 Video Games You Think Everyone Should Try Thread

Unread post by Boreas »

1) Starcraft (Plus Brood Wars)
Style: RTS

This game is getting a bit old, and does show some signs of it, but it holds up alright in the graphics department. It also has a fairly good story with some interesting characters, however the real treat is the gameplay. Three distinct races that are masterfully balanced. Modwise they have user created campaigns that are just as good as the blizzard ones (check out legacy of the confederacy). Plus multiplayer maps online run all styles of gameplay thanks to powerful and easy to use map editors. Not my personal favortie RTS but definitely a classic.

2) Freepace 2 (as a base for Freespace Open really)
Style: Space Flight Sim

Freespace 2 is also a older game, but that only means good things for you. For one you can get it cheap at good old games and two the company released the code to modders, who have since upgraded the game in terms of graphics. While I think you need to play the original Freespace to get the full impact of the story, once again the modders come to the rescue by porting the entire original game into the Freespace open. The story was top notch, and modders have given it several once overs, anything from battlestar galactica to robotech mods. I was truely torn between this game and Crimson Skies for flight games, but the amount of mods for Freespace really make it the winner.

3) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Style: RPG

Okay so I was torn for a lot on what my last game should be, but I decided to keep it mixed up and do a RPG game, a bit of a low key personal favorite. This one might be a little hard to find, and in its retail version it remains fairly buggy. However, there is a fairly dedicated mod base and they have created several unofficial patchs, which are an absolute must. Based of the Source engine the game looks fairly pretty. While all of the different abilities don't always compare favorable, it remains a enjoyable experience whatever your path. The story is good, however the world is somewhat limited and linear. But all of that's beside the point, because who doesn't want to be a vampire and run around?
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

1) Ace combat 4, It's got a compelling story, many different planes and armaments, a great soundtrack, and an awesome variety of enemies and levels

That's it
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

Arma 2. because most people first see it as a horrible and a game thats too complicated. like me. i gave it a 2nd chance and loved it. and also operation flashpoint. the first one. one of the best pc games ever made.
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

1: Supa Smash Bros.

My favorite game. EVER.

2: Pokemon Red.

Meh, It's better than the current ones.

3: Team Fortress 2.

Valve has failed to detect me idling as of yet.
Life is whatever.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Beyond Good And Evil
It's Zelda but tighter, smarter, and a much better story/setting.

Braid
It's a complex puzzle platformer, with some excellent art and music.

Dawn Of War
I want more noobs to play with in either version of this game
Ex-PFC Wintergreen
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20067578

Unread post by Ex-PFC Wintergreen »

1) Fallout 3. It's a good game with a good story line and great graphics.

2) Far Cry 1 or 2. They are both good in their own respects but are in no way similar.

3) Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2. They are a little old but both classics in my book.
Last edited by Ex-PFC Wintergreen on 03 Sep 2009, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
At least I don't have flies in my eyes.
Gypsy Joe
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19074708
Xbox Gamer Tag: BeeGrinder

Unread post by Gypsy Joe »

Diablo 1-3 (when out)

Star craft/ other real time strats

and some valve games will do.
Disregard the above.
bluephyr
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5875326

Unread post by bluephyr »

Riftoff still pointed out that one game was better than another and that defaces the rules here. (I.E. Zelda)

BUT:

1) Tales of Symphonia: Completely Underrated.

Get past what seems to be nothing but a target audience of children, and this game will be one of the best action/rpgs you've ever played.

2) Resident Evil 0 through 4: (meaning RE 0, RE [remake for GC], RE 2, RE 3, RE Code Veronica X, RE 4 [Wii Edition])

Highly scrutinized for it's "intolerable controls", this arcade-style game is proof that a game doesn't have to melt in your hands to be good. Story line, game play, and puzzles all very admirable.

3) Helicopter Game: Addictinggames.com pl0x

One button, one objective. Easily playable within schools through any means without being caught.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

1. World of Warcraft: So many people have played this that it is a cultural phenomenon everyone should experience for themselves at least as a point of reference.

2. Warcraft 3 (online multiplayer - though you'll probably have to get the Frozen Throne expansion to find games).

3. Half-Life 2 Episode 2. If you've never played any of the Half-Life games, you should at least play this one. It was definitely the funnest, particularly using the grav gun to mag grenade the walkers.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

bluephyr wrote:Riftoff still pointed out that one game was better than another and that defaces the rules here. (I.E. Zelda)
Where the fuck does it say that?
Yellow
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:30333589

Unread post by Yellow »

1. Majora's Mask
Not as tedious as Ocarina of time, more fun, and twenty times more sidequests.

2. Most Pokemon games.
JUST FOR KIDS. Except not really. The first two generations were pretty cool.

3. The world ends with you
It's a good ds game with a pretty good story. It'll kill your touch screen, though.

@bluephyr: Tales of symphonia is my favorite game ever. You are awesome.
bluephyr
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Riftoff wrote:
bluephyr wrote:Riftoff still pointed out that one game was better than another and that defaces the rules here. (I.E. Zelda)
Riftoff wrote:Beyond Good And Evil
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Thief Gold, Thief II The Metal Age. Made by the creators of System Shock.

You play a thief who needs to sneak more than swordfight, have cool weapons and tools. Variety of arrows (vine, rope, water, gas) to climb, ko enemies, put out torches...
Hide in shadows and sneak past enemies rather than confront and fight them.

Thief gold is just an update/expansion of the first.
Medieval, slightly steampunk enviro.
The first sneaker game, great story, awesome lighting. It is from about 97 so the graphics are slightly dated but an awesome game none the less. Many games nowdays have 'borrowed' the whole FPSneaker thing from it.
This one has alot of zombie/creature action.

Metal Age was the follow-up.
A bit more steampunk/victorian, but follows the timeline and same lead character.
The creatures in this one are steampunk robots.

-----------
There is also a pretty good community still making top notch missions and multi level campaigns for Thief II. ttlg.com/forums

I made about 4 myself and most of the missions have some of my objects in them.
--------------
That lead the Thief 3 which Ion Storm/Eidos developed (makers of DuesX).

It was pretty decent but kindof got away from some of the main game play elements of the originals, but also had some good changes. Was made in the Unreal editor.

And that's leading to Thief 4 which eidos montreal is working on right now. Who knows when we'll see it or what it'll be like. The lead character is most likely to change and be the 'student' of the Thief from the first 3.
=============

The first 2 also lead to The Dark Mod which is a Doom 3 engine mod based on thief gameplay. Taking it back to the first games style with alot more medieval steampunk and less victorian setting.

I modeled for awhile for it but got bored.

Anyway, there are already a few beta release maps that are pretty damn good for an unfinished mod. It's basically a toolkit, not a game.
So alot of the modders doing T2 stuff still will most likely switch over once it's released towards the end of the year. Should be open source by then too, but already it's looking alot better than trying to deal with the T3 editor/FM's which always seem to be buggy.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

bluephyr wrote:
Riftoff wrote:
Riftoff wrote:Beyond Good And Evil
I was referring to the topic rules.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

1. Twisted Metal (1,2,black,head on, head on ete)
I played it all my childhood over and over, i could prolly kick so much ass at it its not even funny.

2. Red Faction (1,2)
guerilla aint released yet on PC but i heard its fucking awesome. even though this came out when hl1 came out (they were competing games) its still really fun to play.

3. James Bond: Nightfire (gamecube,xbox,ps2 NOT PC)
PC version is weirder and has a different story. it was the only fun game i really had on my gamecube!
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

1)Knights of the Old Republic series:
This is really the only really good story to come out of star wars since the original trilogy. They really should just had over the rights to making star wars movies over to bioware, they would be much better at it. Also, best video game plot twist EVER. 1 is a personal favorite of mine, while 2 was handed over to obsidian who tried to go into a darker tone and ultimately suffered for it (for those who care, obsidian is also making the next fallout game).

Devil May Cry series (not 2):
This is a series that is focused on the sheer style of killing an enemy. Sure you can just stay at a distance, picking away you enemy health away, but you will not enjoy the game at all. Instead, use you giant penis extension sword to knock him into the air, keep them up in a hail of bullets, the finally jump up and cut his ass in half.There are also some really creative boss fights in this game too, something that American games never seem to have. At one point I was fighting a demon horse with blue fire for a mane with a caravan of archers in tow who could control space and time.

Killer 7:

And it only gets stranger from there. Some people can't wrap their head around the sheer bizarre of the game but you could probably find it for really cheap nowadays so what do you have to lose?
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

Ace combat 4 is for ps2 also, So if you ahve one, get it
Not The Author
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16538821

Unread post by Not The Author »

Myst: The classic P'n'C puzzle adventure. It's been revamped recently, too, so you won't need to dig out your Win '95.
Disclaimer: Any game claiming to be "Mystlike" is probably more convoluted than it should be. I do not recommend these.

Diablo 1+2: Adventure RPG. Rather good, nice storyline. Phat loots. Origin of The Poisoned Well. Clickclickclickclickclick.

No More Heroes: Action sliceage. Made by the same guy who did Killer 7, if I recall correctly. Demonstrates proper use of the Wiimote. (Yep, it's an incredibly bloody, violent game for the Wii. Shock!) Catchy soundtrack as well.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

Golden Sun + GS: The Lost Age.
RPG for GBA.
just plain kick ass.

Final Fantasy IX
RPG for PS1
awesome story. liek if FF games were books, id just buy the novels instead of the games.

Kingdom Hearts (series) except Chain of Memories.

Dont let the fact that there are Disney characters in this keep you from playing it. once you start playing it you will see that it couldnt be made any other way. :)
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

Unread post by 4most »

World in Conflict
RTS
Great single player rts, has multiplayer but to hetic for me.

Fallout 2
Turn based(ish) RPG
My favorite of the series once you get past the graphics (or just get the graphics inc mod) you find great charaters and story. Plus it doesnt have lvl cap if you dont want to put money to get DLC for fallout 3 :P

BioShock
FPS
Torn between many games I remeber this one. Imersive, scary and fun plus who doesnt want to shoot fire or lighting out of their hand.

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

My list shall be of modifications that do not interfere with the original game. Links to download shall be posted.

Empires [spoiler]http://www.moddb.com/mods/empires
don't know how to do the word link thing[/spoiler]
Requires: any source game, such as TF2
Genre: RTS/FPS, Multiplayer
Summary: It is an amazing modification. For an RTS/FPS this game makes no compromises (Minor glitches as comm though), is fun to play and a great experience that will have you hooked.

Paranoia [spoiler]http://www.moddb.com/mods/paranoia[/spoiler]
Requires: HL1 (not source) and an OpenGL compatible graphics card.
Genre: FPS, Singleplayer
Summary:It seemed like just another mission. The best Half life single player mod I have played yet. The music was perfect for every situation, the mapping phenomenal, and the atmosphere terrifying at times. All in all this is an amazing mod showing that the goldsource engine can still amaze.

Natural Selection. [spoiler]http://www.moddb.com/mods/natural-selection[/spoiler]
Requires: HL1 (not source)
Genre: RTS/FPS, Multiplayer
Summary: A mod so good, you'll have to pay for the sequel http://www.naturalselection2.com/
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

1) I Wanna Be The Guy
Flash game equivalent of smashing your head against a brick wall. Over and over. And over.
2) Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Fantastic N64 pseudo-RPG. I fondly remember it from my youth. I should do a Let's Play of it sometime.
3) Mischief Makers
N64 game. SHAKE SHAKE!
bluephyr
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

You forgot "Mute Thursday"... lol.

But good choice, "Mischief Makers"
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

The world ends with you:

One of the best games for the DS, highly customizable inventory and ways to fight, great soundtrack and visuals.

Bioshock:

If you've never played it, welcome to Earth.

Sid meiers Pirates:

An old school game from 1987, it got a remake in 2004 and is one of my favorite games of all time. Plenty to do, so much so that you will lose some sleep over managing how your army attacks and ransacks cities, from which country (if any) you should hold an alliance with, and systematically knocking the top ten pirates in the Caribbean from their perches.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

Unread post by 4most »

ah pirates i loved that a game

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
Agent_Lee

Unread post by Agent_Lee »

1) Conker's Bad Fur Day

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0w5neFPat1w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0w5neFPat1w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

2) Perfect Dark

3) Warfare Inc. (for the pocket PC.)
Breal
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19757438

Unread post by Breal »

1) Beyond good and evil : same reasons as rift

2) Age of empires 2: just like new one expect not as much junk bogging it down ( in my option)

3) Metroid prime series: Both for GBA and Gamecube. They were great shooters even though they were on GC, the GBA ones were great side scrollers, jsut all around great games

Srry but i have to put this, consider it 3b, Animal crossing: play it for more than 3 hours and ull be addicted to it. like sims expect not shit
Link
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19549641
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA or since pleasant can mean silent, Silent Hill, CA

Unread post by Link »

1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
An excellent and clasic addition to the series that people can underrate in place of Ocarina of Time and plus, I think Majoras Mask was way better than OOT.

2: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Anybody that loves medeaval times or Fallout 3 will love this game. Just like Fallout 3, this was also made by Bethesda Softworks, except instead of guns and gernades, you use swords, axes, maces, bows and arrows, etc. (obviously). Its a great rpg and I reccommend this to everyone.

3: The Silent Hill series
Whoever likes suspense, horror, or even puzzles I guarentee will love these games. Not only do these games scare the shit out of you as you go through these games, they includes extremely difficult puzzles (mainly on the hardest difficulty).

I too also very much enjoy Tales of Symphonia and Conkers BadFurDay, so great choice Bluephyr and agent.
ImageLinkImage
~Out of all the things people do, the things they didn't do were the greatest.
~The booty is mine, it belongs to me, you cannot have my booty.-Tom
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Yes, but he has a Glenn Beck calculating the Boobies conspiracy avatar so he can do whatever he wants.

------
Anything by Looking Glass studios. Probably the coolest game studio to ever exist. And quite influencetial at that.

System Shock (the predessesor to Bio Shock)

Thief 1 and 2. Predessesors to Thief 3 and 4 (which Eidos Montreal is working on now and has given props to The Dark Mod). Also the original First Person Sneaker which about every game on the market nowadays has ripped in some form or another. (Including Tomb Raider, The Spy from TF2, ...)

Flight Unlimited.

And Mod wise, The Dark Mod. Doom3 mod that rivals if not beats Thief 3 in all departments.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing