Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Should I get a Laptop or Desktop

Discussion about anything.
Ohnoez

Should I get a Laptop or Desktop

Unread post by Ohnoez »

Hello, It's Ragin Asian or whatever you want to call me if you don't want to call me by any of my immature names just call me by my real name James. Anyways I'm thinking about getting a new computer. I really am torn between the two with the desktop i have power and the ability to have a stable place to game. With the laptop i have the chance to bring my laptop to my friend's house to play. Also i can bring it almost anywhere but less power of a desktop. So i wish to ask the community laptop or desktop? Please state reasons why you support your opinion thank you.

Also what brand should i buy from? price range 1,000-1,500
Last edited by Ohnoez on 13 Mar 2012, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Re: Should I get a Laptop or Desktop

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

If gaming is your primary concern, don't get a laptop. They will never pack the same punch as a desktop and are an annoying bitch to upgrade.Honestly, I would recommend getting a desktop with a case that is made for LAN parties. That way, you can still take it to a friends place without too much hassle. However, bare in mind that this is coming from a loser running on a 4 year old Macbook Pro so apparently I'm retarded.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

Build yer own desktop, buying the parts is always much cheaper than pre-built ones.
ImageImage
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

Desktop. I destroyed my laptop because I played a ton of tf2 on it, When the laptop is 300 dollars. Although all I ever do is stay home. I never go out of state and rarely go +40 miles away from home.
Optimus Prime Rib
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16421049

Unread post by Optimus Prime Rib »

MrKerplunkers wrote: However, bare in mind that this is coming from a loser running on a 4 year old Macbook Pro so apparently I'm retarded.
If you don't get a new one every year, you're a loser, not cool or hip, and people are laughing at you. Also, you're not paying your tithes to the Church of Steve Jobs who are currently researching a way to resurrect him. Call it the iLive.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Laptop or Desktop?

Yes.
Life is whatever.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Optimus Prime Rib wrote:
MrKerplunkers wrote: However, bare in mind that this is coming from a loser running on a 4 year old Macbook Pro so apparently I'm retarded.
If you don't get a new one every year, you're a loser, not cool or hip, and people are laughing at you. Also, you're not paying your tithes to the Church of Steve Jobs who are currently researching a way to resurrect him. Call it the iLive.
My pappy has some connections at Apple and the only reason a have a Mac is because he can get this shit fairly cheap. That, and I really don't want to pay for creative suite again so I can have it run on windows.
Taedium
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:21981046

Unread post by Taedium »

The difference between the two is that desktops are cheaper and, if invested in correctly, will run video games better than a laptop ever could. It's a fairly one-sided argument, really.

Go desktop.

Unread post by Ohnoez »

I decided to stick with an alienware laptop with an i7 processor but the video card of the computer is what confuses me i can't tell if it's powerful or not I just want to go over this with the community because I'm not exactly what you would call tech savvy.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

So every single person told you to go with a desktop, but you went with a laptop. Why even ask?
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
LAG King
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22710840

Unread post by LAG King »

Well I hate to say it, but you spent a lot of extra money just for the brand when you went with Alienware. When you could have built your own, also laptops are a bitch to upgrade. But to each his own.
Taedium
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:21981046

Unread post by Taedium »

I own an Alienware. Although it was a gift, so I didn't have much say. It's a few years old now, It's been pretty much gutted and replaced on the inside. The only original parts left are the case, mobo and liquid cooler.