Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

General discussion about gaming.
Bishop
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17092918
Xbox Gamer Tag: Philber

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Unread post by Bishop »

This game looks badass. I can't wait for it. Here's the main site.
http://www.swtor.com/
Not sold? Read the setting and watch the three videos. Yeah, I know, it's nothing like the game is going to be, but those three 5-minute videos are better than every Star Wars movie out there. (Other than Empire Strikes Back, nothing beats that.)
http://www.swtor.com/info/story/setting
I[EDIT: check my second post for a link to our guild]
Post thoughts, comments, or hateful speech. :3
Last edited by Bishop on 11 Jun 2011, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________See you on the other side._____________________________________
_____________________Image_____________________
Bishop
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Unread post by Bishop »

edit: s'gone, broski.
Last edited by Bishop on 22 Jun 2011, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________See you on the other side._____________________________________
Viano
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:10048976
Xbox Gamer Tag: Vian0

Unread post by Viano »

Ive followed it for quite awhile, I was hyped on the concept. Then I saw beta videos being streamed and numerous gameplay videos and that all went away.

The gameplay itself just looks about as generic as you can get, It's world of warcraft in space with a contrived cover system only a couple of classes even have access to. The cut scenes look awful and the animations in general just seem clunky. It's a game meant to be played primarily in single player that's why they have the addition of npc companions.

The space combat seems interesting but only because of my Battlefront boner but even then they've announced they're few and far between and happen exclusively in the story mode not a pvp section.

Another thing that upsets me is that everything has to be pretty, every race you can be is a human recolour. Even the Twi'lek dudes might as well be elves where the fucks my Bib Fortuna. Also as Montag has mentioned numerous times to me why the fuck can't you be a droid, a cyborg sure but fuck that droids are awesome.

The game seems to be subpar with is scale, this is Star Wars everythings suppose to seem huge and epic but from what I've seen it all looks like generic green fields and small corridors. They don't even get creative with the quest system its still "Kill 30 Droids" WELL OH BOY ITS LIKE I'M REALLY IN STRANGLETHORN VALE.

The fights don't even seem very creative from what I've seen but I'll hold off on completely bashing that until I've actually seen a bit more but from the 2 hours of gameplay I've seen I was not impressed.

I want to like this game I want to play a Star Wars MMO that isn't shit I love mmos. I've played WoW, Warhammer, eve, Age of Conan and many others and nothing ever seems to live up to the hype and I just can't bring myself to think this will be any exception. It's really late right now so my arguments probably not all that compelling might revise later if I remember.

P.S My relationship with MMOs is kind of like battered wife syndrome which is why I actually am still excited about Guild Wars 2, not having monthly fees helps a lot

P.P.S I will concede they have some motherfucking great cgi trailers but they are deceiving as fuck because there is no actual gameplay but I've enjoyed them all the same
Attachments
starwars1.gif
starwars1.gif (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2790 times
Well, that's just, like, your opinion man.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I haven't really been following this game, but it does seem to be your everyday MMO with bioware doing the writing, so at least there's that. And the KOTOR series is still one of my favorite series of all time. But I do agree with viano in that the gameplay seems kinda stupid, from what I've seen. There also seems to be nothing stopping people from all being a jedi like in that older star wars MMO whose name escapes me.

All in all, if a do pick this game up it will be after a LOT of patches.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

MrKerplunkers wrote: that older star wars MMO whose name escapes me.

I don't remember either, but it was one galaxy of a game, I can tell you.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Beetle wrote:
MrKerplunkers wrote: that older star wars MMO whose name escapes me.

I don't remember either, but it was one galaxy of a game, I can tell you.
:isee:
BAMF
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25128613
Xbox Gamer Tag: SomTervo

Unread post by BAMF »

does this have one of those "pay every month" things going on like most MMOs
if so fuck that there is no game that is worth paying $10 a month or whatever to play
Bishop
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Bishop »

BAMF wrote:does this have one of those "pay every month" things going on like most MMOs
if so fuck that there is no game that is worth paying $10 a month or whatever to play
They haven't confirmed nor denied a subscription fee. Just like they don't have a set launch date... They're withholding a LOT of info... Kinda pisses me off.
Viano
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:10048976
Xbox Gamer Tag: Vian0

Unread post by Viano »

At beginning of development they said they wanted to go with a micro transactions but a few months back in an interview they announced it will be a monthly subscription. How much is yet to be determined but everyone knows it will be $15 a month like most MMOs.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion man.