Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Polycount: The Good. The Bad, And The Stupid and Rich

General discussion about gaming.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Polycount: The Good. The Bad, And The Stupid and Rich

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

Well, it's here.

New weapon sets for 5 classes; Scout, Solider, Pyro, Sniper, and Spy

Further details here.

This is not a "WTT" thread, please understand that.

With that said: Opinions on the Polycount?

I personally do not like that you can now buy guns and hats, but it doesn't really change the game play, just how I feel about Valve.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: Polycount: The Good. The Bad, And The Stupid and Rich

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Hey, if people want to be impatient and spend acutal money on what can be obtained with friends and patience, let them. A cut of the money goes to the creators of the items, as well.
Life is whatever.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Dep. Redundency Dep. wrote:I personally do not like that you can now buy guns and hats, but it doesn't really change the game play, just how I feel about Valve.
Sounds like Valve has dishonored your family with this optional microtransaction.
Nadaz
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:15505066
Xbox Gamer Tag: Nadaz444

Unread post by Nadaz »

All I shall say about this is: I hate item updates.

The idea of it is a great thing but the way Valve does it is terrible: random drops, punishing Idling then not caring about it later, paying for items, the special abilites, hats, etc.

It truely is best to just not even bring new items aronud me, I won't get angry, it's just silly to me of what they have done and how they have made anything truely awesome (Sandvich, Broken Bonk, etc.) and made it terrible.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

I really should've waited. Nadaz deserves my previous post in this thread far more than Dept.
BAMF
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25128613
Xbox Gamer Tag: SomTervo

Unread post by BAMF »

As I said somewhere before- It's like a hate crime against retards.

It's pretty pointless, but overall, new weapons! Only real, overall disappointment for me is how I need to find the dueling minigame. Just let me duel now!
Nadaz

Unread post by Nadaz »

Riftoff wrote:I really should've waited. Nadaz deserves my previous post in this thread far more than Dept.
Oh you should have; for I beleive that Valve and Gaben have dishonored this entire unit and everything I know. It is truely a sad day when you have three choices with these unlocks; buying them, trading them, or waiting a large amount of time for them.

Now I will explain the reasoning why I hate items:
1. Usually they are useless (not all the time, just a majority)
2. They make the Class easier
3. I can have skins for my items, so it doesn't need to be all shinny and such
4. They are 'balanced'
5. They are 'unbalanced'
6. Gaben loves runing the game with them.
7. The game doesn't need them.
8. The updates bring too many people that are terrible.
9. Random Drops
10. Cost Money for new items.

Those are the main reasons why I don't like updated Items.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Nadaz wrote:when you have four choices with these unlocks; buying them, trading them, crafting them, or waiting a large amount of time for them.
Fixed. Honestly, I crafted pretty much all of the items in one session. The only annoying thing is actually getting the Refined Metal, which wasn't hard for me, since my backpack was pretty much full anyway.
Nadaz wrote:Now I will explain the reasoning why I hate items:
1. Usually they are useless (not all the time, just a majority)
2. They make the Class easier

3. I can have skins for my items, so it doesn't need to be all shinny and such
4. They are 'balanced'
5. They are 'unbalanced'

6. Gaben loves runing the game with them.
7. The game doesn't need them.
8. The updates bring too many people that are terrible.
9. Random Drops
10. Cost Money for new items.
Bold=Funny
Underline=What?
Italics=Dumb

1: Completely your opinion, but it's mine too.
2: Pffffft
3:I'm not seeing what that has to do with anything.
4 + 5: Blame people who complain about everything Valve does for their fans, not Valve.
6: Sureeeee
7: So the game doesn't need to be kept fresh with new game modes and more weapons? Cool.
8: More people = More money for Valve, and honestly, they deserve it for making such great games.
9:I have NEVER had a problem with the drops, ESPECIALLY with the new "Drop Cap Per Week" system.
10: Craft them, trade for them, wait for them to drop. Honestly, one of your friends will trade you an extra weapon they have if you ask them.
Life is whatever.
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

might as well just copy and past this thing I found on the web. I'll spoiler it because it's a tad long, although I agree with most of it.

Back in the Vanilla days, things were way more simple. The game was really balanced and overall there wasn't anything bad about it. Good old '07.

Then, Valve started introducing new, unlockable weapons. That sounded really stupid at first but then we found out how awesome it was and never ever complained about it again. They also added some cool features like the airblast to the flamethrower. Overall, unlockable weapons were something new to keep us addicted even more to that amazing game.

Last year, Valve introduced hats. I was bothered for a few reasons. I know, I know. Why am I hating on a cosmetic item? It's just something players would add to their characters. Well. I'll tell you why: TF2 started losing its immersion. That game has amazing characters, with amazing personalities, some of them are just the apex of badass. Then you'd see the fear-inducing pyro with a cute little green worm on its head! How fear inducing is that? Now, the other reason is that the community really started being a prick about it (I know that there's trading nowadays, but I'll get to that soon), the halocaust was totally unneeded. Hats, in my opinion, were something totally useless. Most of the time, when I say that, people tell me that I shouldn't use them if I don't want them. Well, I don't want them at all. It changed completely the way I see the game, the way I see the characters. Now they use stupid, colorful hats that seem to be designed for children. If they are going to put hats, why not make them all badass-looking hats? You don't want awesome characters like the heavy wear a red tuque. He's a mercenary who carries a minigun. He's not a kid. But most people just carried on. And so did I. I tried to ignore all the stupid hats and focus on how badass some hats were. The Pyro's firefighter, the Heavy's ushanka, and so on. Hats that actually fit the characters, not hats that have nothing to do with the character at all.

Then, Valve started introducing stuff like items you'd get from buying other games. That was a neat idea of giving attention and extra money to other developers. Bill's hat was awesome (eventhough it was a Valve game), because it would fit most characters like a glove (except maybe the Scout). Sam & Max had new revolvers and stuff (which seemed to be hacked in the view model by amateurs from FPSBanana), and had a ridiculous bunny hat which made me rage whenever I got killed by a soldier who was originally a badass mercenary, then a strong man with a bunny hat. Then Worms, which I guess was alright, after all that helmet fit, again, most of the characters. Now what really pissed me off was that some players bought the game only for the hats, something entirely cosmetic that you'll never obtain in your real life, and can't even interact with it in the game. It's not an unlockable weapon or anything, it's a god damn hat. But I guess those guys are just stupid by themselves, if they have a job, they must know how money doesn't fall off trees, and how precious it is nowadays. You shouldn't waste your money on a game you'll never play only for an useless item in another game. BUT it's their money, and the developers of the said game don't give a shit if people will play it or not.

Nowadays, I have uninstalled TF2. But I've seen they included trading. So I was thinking of trying it out. But I remember I'd discuss with people here in this category, years ago, how this was all going to become a FPS/RPG thing. I know how you guys don't take stuff like this seriously, but try to get my point. They not only included trading but included a MANN store or something. Now I've seen a post here which said a hat would cost more than the game itself.

Wow. I don't feel that I've bought the game I currently have. I think Valve should just stop right now. Their game is good enough, they already filled it with way too much stuff. Can't they just stop? Trading is alright, but a store where you buy items to use in the game? That's ridiculous! And the worse of all is how these items get to be as expensive as the game itself, just so you wear them and look cool.

People complain about Modern Warfare 2 and how it has map packs that cost the price of a full, decent game. They should focus on other games, their L4D franchise, or their Portal franchise, or even their main franchise, which is Half-Life.

I've been playing TF since the first Team Fortress mod, the Valve remake, and of course Team Fortress Classic. And no, I don't hate TF2. But I think TF2 became a game that's only fun to be played with friends. Atleast for me. Doesn't anyone else think that TF2 is going too far? Discuss.
It's pretty well written, and a lot of it is true (to me at least). I played my 360 version of TF2 and it was simplistic fun. At this point, I can barely remember what the weapons do. The fact of the matter is, these weapons are unneeded because TF2 was fine before this update, probably better. It's great to have a bunch of play styles, but not so great when some of the weapons are bare bones, MMO kind of shit, like +10 attack and -15 speed or whatever. A friend of mine who already has dueling has shown me that it is fucking horrible. Which is a shame because the new game mode was what excited me most. Instead I got left with out of character hats, too many weapons, and a piece of shit store. Probably the worst update so far.

Also of interest-
Hey guys its been a really long time since ive been in this section but i decided that i would throw this out there for consideration.

So i had stopped playing TF2 for whatever reason back in February of this year. I dont really remember why i stopped, but i think it was a combination of new games coming out and minecraft. So recently ive decided to get back into TF2. I had heard about some really cool updates and what not so i was excited to get back into the swing of TF2.

But unfortunately it seems that TF2 has sort of drifted from the really fun simplicity of the game. I had stopped playing about a month after crafting was introduced. Back then i thought that is was an awesome idea and really made the game more interesting. But now as i come back to the game 8 months later. I am greeted bye a mess of crazy amounts of new updates. At first i was very happy to see it all. But then as i saw more and more i noticed the game had totally lost its simplicity of just classes and guns. Now it seems that there is a near-overwhelming amount of stuff in the game. Things like the store really irked me. Buying? Buying hats with REAL money absolutely drove me nuts. What was once a very coveted thing to have a hat was now just something that you could buy and not think twice. This and among other things have really turned TF2 into a big cluster of things that are tearing away at the TF2's true simplistic fun.

I will always love TF2 and i will still play it. But it just seems that VALVe is pouring to much into TF2. Personally i would have loved to keep the game the way it was back in February, But keeping essential updates like the engineer update ( Which i think is awesome btw ).

Thats all i really have to say. All in all what im trying to say is that i really wished that TF2 would have stayed more towards the simplistic fun side. Rather that the craziness ,when it comes to items and such, its is today.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

This is the new way of gaming - and I like it. I predict that eventually there won't be any paid-for DLCs on anything. There will just be optional micro-transactions that will end up making way more money than the DLC sells. I love having the option to spend no money.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

Hahaha, that first spergout that BAMF posted literally said something was "killing my immmersion".
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Jesus Christ guys, calm the fuck down. It's not that bad and no where near the worst update. Please don't tell me that you all forgot the never ending hell that was the original backburner.

Honestly the only 2 "terrible" things that came out of this update is the fact that voice chat now sounds like WoW trade chat and everyone's constant bitching and moaning.
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

Beetle wrote:This is the new way of gaming - and I like it. I predict that eventually there won't be any paid-for DLCs on anything. There will just be optional micro-transactions that will end up making way more money than the DLC sells. I love having the option to spend no money.
Personally I liked addons like Opposing Force more then DLC like the shadow broker, because there's more bang for your buck, but that's irrelevant. The store items are waaay too expensive, I think everyone can agree on that.
Riftoff wrote:Hahaha, that first spergout that BAMF posted literally said something was "killing my immmersion".
that may have been a stupid point, but the rest of it has some good points
MrKerplunkers wrote:Jesus Christ guys, calm the fuck down. It's not that bad and no where near the worst update. Please don't tell me that you all forgot the never ending hell that was the original backburner.

Honestly the only 2 "terrible" things that came out of this update is the fact that voice chat now sounds like WoW trade chat and everyone's constant bitching and moaning.
Backburner was fixed, they're not going to get rid of the far too many items or the store. The bitching will subside, the chat box and voice chat have been ruined for the next couple months.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Here is the worst part of the update.

Crates.

Fucking Crates.

I have to buy a key to make any use of them.

That is why my view on valve changed.

For get weapons being "op'd" and "Buying items is stupid" thing. Just realize that valve made it so you can get an item you have to pay for to use. Granted, it's not forced, doesn't change game play, and isn't something like a map pack or an expansion pack, things most other popular games have that are far more expensive. I just get a little aggravated with the whole crate and key business.

Fucking Crates.

------

In response to all those fearing an FPS/RPG merge into this game, can you provide any evidence, inside or outside the game, that a change to this is an awful idea, that will destroy all the fun in he game, and make you never want to play it ever again?

Giving someone a competitive advantage over someone else in anything other than skill is unfair to the newest person to the game, right? So what? I truly believe when Valve wants to do something correctly, it will eventually get done correctly, make a high percentage of the people happy, and generally will satisfy me. So if they incorporate some kind of RPG element like everyone seems to be fearing, stop being so afraid about the changes to the game and just keep playing it.

But no more "Backburners." God damn it.
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

new weapons blur the line between classes

its why i still w+m1
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

Dep. Redundency Dep. wrote: In response to all those fearing an FPS/RPG merge into this game, can you provide any evidence, inside or outside the game, that a change to this is an awful idea, that will destroy all the fun in he game, and make you never want to play it ever again?
i don't like fpsrpgs i don't like fpsrpgs i don't like fpsrpgs. a lot of people don't. so i don't want tf2 to become an fpsrpg because I don't like them
Giving someone a competitive advantage over someone else in anything other than skill is unfair to the newest person to the game, right? So what?
I don't understand this point
I truly believe when Valve wants to do something correctly, it will eventually get done correctly, make a high percentage of the people happy, and generally will satisfy me.
I don't care how a high percentage of people feel
So if they incorporate some kind of RPG element like everyone seems to be fearing, stop being so afraid about the changes to the game and just keep playing it.
why would anyone keep playing it if they don's enjoy it, this sentence literally only says "alright, you don't like watching football, so keep watching it."
so yeah
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

Q_Q
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

HuRtMePleNtY wrote:Q_Q
Well said.
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

Are people seriously down voting me because of my opinions? I had fourteen, I could understand going down two, but after I posted some stuff in this topic I lost more.

Why would people downvote people just for disagreeing with them on a forum, which were created for discussion.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

its not your opinion they dont like. open your eyes a little. it's because of your attitude.
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

HuRtMePleNtY wrote:its not your opinion they dont like. open your eyes a little. it's because of your attitude.
What did I do? Seriously, I haven't said anyone's is stupid or called them fan boys or something.

Plus your Q_Q called me crybaby, so I guess you're the adult in this!
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

Saying that you're losing votes is a good way to start losing more votes.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Hey guys, he has an opinion, get off his back.

Just because you think someone's ignorant, acting on that presumption makes at least one person ignorant.
BAMF wrote:
Dep. Redundency Dep. wrote: In response to all those fearing an FPS/RPG merge into this game, can you provide any evidence, inside or outside the game, that a change to this is an awful idea, that will destroy all the fun in he game, and make you never want to play it ever again?

i don't like fpsrpgs i don't like fpsrpgs i don't like fpsrpgs. a lot of people don't. so i don't want tf2 to become an fpsrpg because I don't like them

This doesn't show a bit a reason, just an opinion. A very loud one.

---

Giving someone a competitive advantage over someone else in anything other than skill is unfair to the newest person to the game, right? So what?

This isn't a point, it's a sarcastic remark on a stupid complaint I see a lot.

---

I truly believe when Valve wants to do something correctly, it will eventually get done correctly, make a high percentage of the people happy, and generally will satisfy me.

Then you're making an assumption that your outside of it.

---

So if they incorporate some kind of RPG element like everyone seems to be fearing, stop being so afraid about the changes to the game and just keep playing it.

why would anyone keep playing it if they don's enjoy it, this sentence literally only says "alright, you don't like watching football, so keep watching it."

More along the lines of "I don't like the new rule book, but the game itself is still generally the same, maybe I should watch it before I cast perjury on it and defame it as much as I can before actually knowing the first thing about it's changes."
so yeah
so yeah
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

ITS OK BRO I VOTED YOU UP

FIGHT THE POWER

PS ORIGINAL BACKBURNER WAS FINE YOU WHINERS
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

Riftoff wrote:Saying that you're losing votes is a good way to start losing more votes.
You are just too cool, you know that? Thanks for teaching me internet rules, then reminding me I don't give a shit! I mean you've proven you think you have a better taste in music then everyone, that you're infinitely smarter then everyone, and that you are just oh soo funny, but now you've shown you're better at the internet then everyone else! When will you stop being amazing?
arkawn wrote:ITS OK BRO I VOTED YOU UP

FIGHT THE POWER

PS ORIGINAL BACKBURNER WAS FINE YOU WHINERS
:kickinrad:
Dep. Redundency Dep. wrote:Hey guys, he has an opinion, get off his back.

Just because you think someone's ignorant, acting on that presumption makes at least one person ignorant.
BAMF wrote:

Well, this is about our opinions, isn't it? What I'm saying is that I didn't enjoy Borderlands and the like, so I don't really want TF2 to go down that road because I still feel it's a damn good game, even if this update has made me lose some respect for valve (fucking crates), but if it became even more of an rpg, I won't play it all that much. So, to me, I wouldn't find the game fun, which would make me not want to play it, because the game is really made to be fun, not to have deep story lines. So, maybe not to everyone, but to me, I wouldn't like that much. Hopefully you can kind of understand what I'm trying to say here, because let's be honest, I sounded like a goddamn dumbass when I just repeated I don't like fpsrpgs.

---

This isn't a point, it's a sarcastic remark on a stupid complaint I see a lot.
Sorry, I'm bad with text sarcasm.

---

Then you're making an assumption that your outside of it.
I don't really care if the vast majority of the game agrees with me or not, I care how I feel about the game.

---

More along the lines of "I don't like the new rule book, but the game itself is still generally the same, maybe I should watch it before I cast perjury on it and defame it as much as I can before actually knowing the first thing about it's changes."
More RPG elements is a big change, so I assume the new rulebook would have to tackles against the rules. Maybe we're taking this analogy too far, so let's just drop it after this. I guess this is something that might be true, I do really need to give it more time before I cast judgement on most of the new items, but the majority just seem really unneeded and don't change too much in the game, unlike how the Valve updates changed play styles and so on.
so yeah
so yeah

HEY GUYS, THIS IS HOW ARGUMENTS WORK. Please try to follow dept.'s example in the future instead of just saying "ur dumb" or something equally stupid.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Riftoff »

BAMF wrote:You are just too cool, you know that? Thanks for teaching me internet rules, then reminding me I don't give a shit!

*the rest of the post*
Nadaz

Unread post by Nadaz »

Guys settle down. It's one thing to state your oppion on a subject but another to argue about oppions.

We all kind of hate this update don't we? I mean I cannot be the only one who gets agitated when you are trying to play serious and the chat box is full of people trying to trade crap for crap and trying to scam each other for hats. Or what about the Crates and Keys, super stupid, and Valves second greatest scam (L4D2 being the first).
BAMF

Unread post by BAMF »

Nadaz wrote:Guys settle down. It's one thing to state your oppion on a subject but another to argue about oppions.

We all kind of hate this update don't we? I mean I cannot be the only one who gets agitated when you are trying to play serious and the chat box is full of people trying to trade crap for crap and trying to scam each other for hats. Or what about the Crates and Keys, super stupid, and Valves second greatest scam (L4D2 being the first).
I remember a while ago, on another forum, there was this thread. It talked about the steam wallet. It said that there could be the chance that valve would add microtransactions to tf2. The people called the guy who made this post an idiot, just generally flamed him. They said that Valve would never do that, and that if they did they would stop being loyal fans. When the polycount finally dropped, they all talked about how great of an idea the store was, and how happy they were about it. Yesterday, the creator bumped that thread and basically laughed at them. For some reason, this thread is kind of reminding me about that. People who would have thought they would hate valve over microtransactions being added and all that, are just saying that the polycount is fantastic and that I'm a faggot for disagreeing. (Atleast most of them are.)

This has little to nothing to do with your post.
Nadaz

Unread post by Nadaz »

BAMF wrote:
Nadaz wrote:Guys settle down. It's one thing to state your oppion on a subject but another to argue about oppions.

I remember a while ago, on another forum, there was this thread. It talked about the steam wallet. It said that there could be the chance that valve would add microtransactions to tf2. The people called the guy who made this post an idiot, just generally flamed him. They said that Valve would never do that, and that if they did they would stop being loyal fans. When the polycount finally dropped, they all talked about how great of an idea the store was, and how happy they were about it. Yesterday, the creator bumped that thread and basically laughed at them. For some reason, this thread is kind of reminding me about that. People who would have thought they would hate valve over microtransactions being added and all that, are just saying that the polycount is fantastic and that I'm a faggot for disagreeing. (Atleast most of them are.)

This has little to nothing to do with your post.

Nope, but your point was taken and I find that story funny and aslo very sad.

And I have to say this: If you are a fan of Valve please for the best of both of us: don't listen to whatever I say, I have hated Valve since they bought out Turtle Rock Studios and took L4D from them.
Last edited by Nadaz on 06 Oct 2010, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

All you people do when you argue, with exception of BAMF, is just try to troll your way through it.
In response to all those fearing an FPS/RPG merge into this game, can you provide any evidence, inside or outside the game, that a change to this is an awful idea, that will destroy all the fun in he game, and make you never want to play it ever again?

Well, this is about our opinions, isn't it? What I'm saying is that I didn't enjoy Borderlands and the like, so I don't really want TF2 to go down that road because I still feel it's a damn good game, even if this update has made me lose some respect for valve (fucking crates), but if it became even more of an rpg, I won't play it all that much. So, to me, I wouldn't find the game fun, which would make me not want to play it, because the game is really made to be fun, not to have deep story lines. So, maybe not to everyone, but to me, I wouldn't like that much. Hopefully you can kind of understand what I'm trying to say here, because let's be honest, I sounded like a goddamn dumbass when I just repeated I don't like fpsrpgs.

This is the only point I wish to expand upon. What I was saying before was an opinion without a reason is just an ignorant statement. You provided an example, Borderlands. I'll agree with you in that Borderlands was not that much fun. Boring, repetitive, and not much to strive for in the long run. But I imagine a TF2 with RPG-esque elements, not a full blown RPG like borderlands. Basically, the RPG elements would act as a reason to keep playing the game. In the orginal statement, I didn't mean RPG as in a a story-incorporated mes pool of ideas centralized around RPG core elements with guns on the ends of sticks. Try to imagine it like this.

You have your stock rocket launcher, that you use a lot. Now the more you used it, not only the better it got, but you would be able to fine tune the rocket launcher to do what you want. Like make it go slower in favor of more splash damage, or do less damage against buildings in favor of making it do less rocket jump damage to yourself. Though getting kills, you can earn these modifications to specialize your gun.

I personally, think it would add a whole new fun element to the game, and if valve perfected it, they'd never have to create a new weapon ever again.