Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

What computer type do you like more?

Discussion about anything.

Desktop Or Laptop

Desktop
73%
Laptop
27%

Total votes: 15

Zora
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:30006562

What computer type do you like more?

Unread post by Zora »

I feel that Desktops can be much more powerful than laptops will ever be. Are there any Laptop fans out there that are compelled to prove me wrong?

:o
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Re: What computer type do you like more?

Unread post by thedoghouse »

Mr. Zora wrote:I feel that Desktops can be much more powerful than laptops will ever be. Are there any Laptop fans out there that are compelled to prove me wrong?

:o
That's a completely rediculous question, with desktops you can be constantly changing the parts to upgrade and be faster and whatnot, the only thing laptops have going for them is that you can take them most places easily, and even that's not such a big deal anymore
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

You forgot that laptops tend to not last as long, and the laptop parts are much more expensive.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

I like laptops!

There are just as powerful laptops as there are desktops nowadays, with the increasing need for portability I think laptops are the future of computers. Yes, some desktops are more powerful, but honestly I would rather be able to move my computer around than be able to achieve 10 more FPS on max settings.
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

I have to travel a lot, so a laptop is just easier.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

Divine Fate wrote:I like laptops!

There are just as powerful laptops as there are desktops nowadays, with the increasing need for portability I think laptops are the future of computers. Yes, some desktops are more powerful, but honestly I would rather be able to move my computer around than be able to achieve 10 more FPS on max settings.
We'll see just how "Powerful" those laptops are in 2 years when you have replace the whole thing instead of just a few parts
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Zora

Unread post by Zora »

It's difficult to play games on laptops like tf2 because when your on the go you might not always have internet, like desktops do.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

thedoghouse wrote: We'll see just how "Powerful" those laptops are in 2 years when you have replace the whole thing instead of just a few parts
I've upgraded my labtop before. Not as easy as upgrading a desktop, but very doable.
BAMF
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25128613
Xbox Gamer Tag: SomTervo

Unread post by BAMF »

I came here expecting some kind of Mac vs. PC thing, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Desktops are my personal preference.
LilSam__U
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19162719

Unread post by LilSam__U »

laptops are great for me for school but desktops are better for gaming..even though usually when i play im on my dads laptop because its so much faster than my desktop so im 50/50
Zora

Unread post by Zora »

LilSam__U wrote:laptops are great for me for school but desktops are better for gaming..even though usually when i play im on my dads laptop because its so much faster than my desktop so im 50/50
You play games on your school desktops?

oO
LilSam__U
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19162719

Unread post by LilSam__U »

nope i said laptops are better for school well for me at least but desktops are good for gaming and that so i like both of them. I dont play at school lol
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

desktops, i only use my laptop for school, and thats it. i dont even have wireless at my house.
right now my laptop is sitting in a laundry basket in my room.. (it needs to be cleaned, but that will never happen)
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

Desktop:
Pros: Customizable; Cheaper; longer life (the average Desktops hardware last longer then laptops, not that it matters, with most hardware lasting a life of 5 years, but being obsolete in 3, there's very little point.)
Cons: Most immovable, if not, hardly portable; Wires, wires, wires;

Laptops:
Pros: Portable, Convenient, All-in-one.
Cons: High reliance on wireless, Expensive, Battery life(Good or not, it's still there) Difficulty in upgrading/customization, leading to most having to be replace every 3 years or so; and heat, heat, heat.

For those that refute price as negligible, my custom self-made PC, at a total cost of $670's laptop equivalent in Laptop form is $2,300.

I prefer desktops, but that's because it fits into my lifestyle better. It's almost entirely dependent on what your lifestyle is like. To some, the $2,300 laptop that con do everything, everywhere, is worth it.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Laptops are for work/school. Desktops are for gaming, rendering and that kind of thing.

The maximum capabilities of desktop hardware FAR exceeds laptop hardware, and is much less expensive. Laptops are difficult to build yourself so you have to, in essence, pay someone to do all the work for you.

It really depends on what you want to do on your computer. Things like photoshop, gaming, video processing etc, will all benefit from a faster processor and more ram. If there is any point of doing any of those things where you are waiting for something to happen, it would be improved by upgrading those things.

Sure, they do have mobile processors that work really well and are pretty comparable to what is available on the desktops (the core i5 and i7s are really nice chipsets). What you can't do is get a motherboard with 6 triple channel ram slots and put in 24 GB or ram. A 64 bit operating system is made to support all of this, granted it would cost at least $800 for the ram alone.

Another benefit to having a desktop is that you can run it like a server since it is always connected to the internet. I use mine to run a torrent server that allows me to start new torrents from my cell phone. Another arguable benefit is the ability to run more than one monitor. I'm looking at running at least three for my next machine.

tldnr - There are clear benefits to both laptops and desktops, you have to decide what you want to get out of your machine and get what's best. For someone like me, I have a need for two machines: one that I can carry with me when I travel and meet with people, one machine optimized for video, gaming and rendering.