Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

koth_goldeneye_temple_a1 [on server]

Play a good map that you would like to see on the server? Submit it here.
Taco

koth_goldeneye_temple_a1 [on server]

Unread post by Taco »

good day fellow chaotic gamers, and welcome back to 1996. Anyone that's played the classic shooter on the 64 will instantly recognize this level.

The map has been in a playable state for a while now, but I didn't know what to do with it. Originally I thought arena would be the best game mode for the map, to recapture that nostalgic feeling of hunting down your foes, but the map is not symmetrical, and I don't know of any other non-symmetrical arena maps.

I then decided to make it KOTH since koth is arena's cooler brother (though I personally LOVE arena). I also added a new area to the map, spawn rooms, and tried to make the map more symmetrical. This is the finished result

Spawn room

Behind red's spawn

Behind red's spawn - leading to control point

Control point

Hallway outside of control point

Unexplainable area 1

Behind blu's spawn

Behind blu's spawn - leading to control point

Main hall above control point

Unexplainable area 2

Ceiling outside of red's spawn

While the map is not technically perfectly symmetrical, the map can still be split in two and be resembled in a symmetric like fashion (ie. on each side there's one giant room behind spawn, two rooms behind the main room, and one underground path leading to the point).

From all the feedback I've gathered before, I've heard one of two things. People either love or hate the map. And yes, all the people that loved the map were people that played Goldeneye. Those that hated it never played the game, and stated that it didn't really feel like it belonged in Tf2.

To make a long story short, I'm curious to know what you guys think about the map, as I've been thinking that perhaps its best left as a deathmatch map. I've had alot of cool ideas for the map though. Like in arena mode I thought it would be cool if rooms started closing off one by one, forcing opponents to eventually fight for the point and killing anyone trapped in a closed off room (like booby traps). Or perhaps I should use the expanded version of the map and implement an oldschool gamemode like hold the flag or koth, except the point moves around?

What do you guys think? And sorry to make such a long post.

Here are the download links

__________________________________________________-
Arena version (old)

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3107

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you upload the map to a linux server, make sure you rename the map to all lowercases. Apparently linux does not like capital letters and may crash the server

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3165