Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

I would like to make maps.....

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

I would like to make maps.....

Unread post by 4most »

but i have no idea how to. Can anyone kind of give me a guide how to and/or give me advise. plz and thank you

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: I would like to make maps.....

Unread post by captainAngry »

I am interested in learning a bit about this as well.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

Can't give you a detailed guide because making maps just takes way too much effort, more efffort than I am willing to put in. but if you didn't already know, you install the Source SDK thing from steam tools and make it in that program. Learn as you go.
ImageImage
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

Hanzo is correct, and basically that is all you need to make a full map. The Source SDK comes with many things you could possibly never touch. The most important tool is Hammer. It is the map-making tool. Also, the SDK comes with a link of the Developer Community which has tutorials on everything. Extra things only include textures/sounds outside of TF2. You CAN make a map like 2fort with Hammer alone. You CAN'T make a map like cyberpunk with just Hammer.

If you have any questions I can answer 'em...most likely. I know all the basics and a few extra tips.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

making maps are confusing
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

Sounds fun, but I'd never be able to do it.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19595711

Unread post by pleasenopouncing »

if u find dog@large he has made a couple that smoke house used to have.
plz dont do what my avatar is doing ty

in l4d plz no pouncing. in tf2 plz no burning.
if u do this i will be very happy but i know it wont happen =(
Awesomesauce
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17643787
Location: Toronto, Ontario...but mostly where you least expect me.

Unread post by Awesomesauce »

I found some Youtube tuts which i took a look at a while ago.
Here are the Users which have posted them, i only saw PH4T3's just click on one they are really helpful. :)

I might actually start to learn again. :)

http://ca.youtube.com/results?search_ty ... 2+Mapping+
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

I fired up the map builder and was plesently surprised by how little it has actually changed since the TFC days. Maybe I am just remembering map making wrong but it seems pretty straght forward.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Simple things are straight-forward, but thinking outside of the box, wackyraces for example, is harder :-p
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

Beetle wrote:Simple things are straight-forward, but thinking outside of the box, wackyraces for example, is harder :-p
And then, from Wackyraces, making those out-of-the-box maps GOOD is even more difficult, haha.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Well as much as one might hate them (I do not really like wackyraces), its played soo often I would be proud if it were my map, regardless.
SmylesE
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3228205

Unread post by SmylesE »

Awesomesauce wrote:I found some Youtube tuts which i took a look at a while ago.
Here are the Users which have posted them, i only saw PH4T3's just click on one they are really helpful. :)

His videos is a very good place to start. He goes over pretty much everything you need to know. As a tip to anyone making or trying to make a map. Learn how to make everything before using someone else's templates. Even if they say you can just copy and paste them in, they may need to be tweaked and not knowing how to build things will stop you dead in you tracks. Personally I like to make everything (maybe the reason why I never finish a map :P ).
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Go over to tf2maps.net

they've built up a pretty good data base of tuts and some valuable 'maps' that I use all the time.
Some of the tuts are new, some are just regurge from other tuts/sites. But searching will find you info on just about anything you need to know. If not people will help.

The maps I speak of are abs_props_library, etc...
the props library has every prop in tf2 in a map so you can fly and see them and copy/paste into your map. Huge time saver as the menu/keywords in Hammer suck. Want a dumptruck, better know it's in hydro or you might not find it...
There's an enviro one with the light set-ups from all official valve maps
There's another with set-ups for many gametypes (5 point cp, ctf, etc..)

I agree that doing it by yourself helps you understand/tweak stuff. But copy/pasting the entire entity set-up into your map saves TONS of time.

I don't recomend copy/pasting terrain as that is kindof an artistic thing. If someone wanted to do something similar to one of my maps I'd be honored, but if they just ripped it out I'd be a little sore.

interlopers forums is also a good place for Hammer tuts, help. But not tf2 specifically.
---------
I'll help anyone with basic Q's about making a map but following tuts is usually easiest.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
davethewave

Unread post by davethewave »

That sounds very cool original, i've been thinking of making a de_dust remake as a pl map, i've already got it planned out, and i know that map like the back of my hand from cs. Is there anyway you could explain the process in depth a little more on how to copy paste those things, like how to open the map and such.

Also, and tips on making a pl would be greatly appreciated, i'm going to do some research tonight
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Very quick rough guide (assumes you can find stuff with little guidance)

make sure you have the sdk (steam tools tab, dl it if you don't)

open it and make sure it says tf2 (rather than halflife)

Looks like a 3d program wehn open. Top front side views + 3d view.

I think you have to click file? new to get a new file. There is a white cube icon on left, click and drag out a cube shape, hit enter. That's your first brush, has hl2 bricks most likely. The greeb light blub looking icon is the entity tool, select and click on overhead view. Look at right of window, a drop down menu should say player start, right click on green cross that was made with entity tool and hit create. That's your first spawn point.
make a box around it that is sealed from the void. Hit f9 and compile to go in game.
Close game...

back in editor with your map open hit file>open and look for the vmf files I mentioned above that you Dl'ed and put into
steam/steam apps/user name/source sdk content/tf/maps

so open abs_proplibrary

On right there is an auto hide tab, unhide all (check mark is un-hid)

in 3d view click on an object, copy (ctrl c), minimize abs map, maximize your map, ctrl-v to paste whatever you copied...
---------

There's a new library at tf2maps for game entities, that's more complex but there is a PL set-up to copy/paste. I suggest learning the editor first in a map you WON'T keep, get used to it, make mistakes, learn tofix them, read alot of tuts. Then start a map you actually plan to complete cause now you know ins and outs of Hammer.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

heh, I could hand you over the vmf from dustribute :)
davethewave

sweet some of that is very helpful. I managed to figure out how the actual movement of the cart works and how to get it to go around, i also have a fucntonal spawn room with health and door and such. if i run into anything major that i cant figure out ill make sure to get back to you.
davethewave

what's your theory behind making spawn points by the way? Like how do you set them up so that the spawns advance/retreat?