Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

captainAngry's Soldier Guide

Tips and tricks for playing the Soldier class.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

captainAngry's Soldier Guide

Unread post by captainAngry »

Against Pyros:
  • Shoot the ground in front of them, just out of range of their reflect.
    Take your time and wait for the pyro to charge. Once they are coming at you, it is a lot harder to reflect.
    Shoot their feet. Time your second rocket to hit the ground right where they land and no more pyro.
Against Engyies
  • SGs are a lot easier to destroy if you shoot at if from the left since your gun fires a bit from the right.
    It is possible to be completely covered by a wall on your left and shoot around a doorway to hit an SG.
    Level 3 SGs should go down in 3 or 4 rockets without an engie.
    If you try multiple times and can't take down a gun, take out the Engie, then the dispenser. If the dispenser is lvl 3 and full, you can build a whole gun in one go.

That's all I have for right now. I will add more later.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Re: captainAngry's Soldier Guide

Unread post by Äusländer »

I'm an okay soldier so I'll post what i like to do. I agree with Captain when he says to shoot at the enemy's feet but I would like to add my own twist. If i'm in a bigger area i try to coax the guy into the air towards a wall. That way when they're flying, I have something hard to shoot against so I can get my second shot to stick when they're in the air. There are times when I can hit the guy in the air with the rocket but that is an ill advised strategy because it's hard. However, if they're in the air and up against the way, shoot below them again, keeps them in the air longer and they can't get away.

Also, don't be afraid to use your shotgun if you know you've hit the guy. If you're thrown four rockets at the target and you know you've hit them with some of them they're probably low on heath, your shotty is a great tool for finishing them off. Once they're dead you can spend the time picking up their ammo and reloading before the next battle. I always reload my shotty first because it's my backup and most of the times i pull it out I need it.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

I am an ok soldier too so i will toss a few more points our here that havent already been said.

Height is your friend. it is hard to judge the distance to the players feet all the time and if you mess it up your rockets will sometimes miss and go past them or hit in front of them. being higher than the person makes it easier to hit the ground next to them or at their feet. you can do this by using the map to get higher than them or by rocket jumping. i have vanquished many heavies by rocket jumping up above them and shooting rockets down onto their heads. usually one of those rockets is a crit and you can launch them across the map, if you dont kill them in the air use the quick switch (Q) to switch to the shotty as by that point they will be low on health or at least close. A heavy being killed by a shotgun is usually pretty embarrassing.

Also combos can be useful such as rocket rocket shotty. Or rocket shotty shotty. These will take down most people and if it doesn’t you can switch back and still have ammo left. (these only work if you hit the person) usually I end up missing one or two of my shots and usually have to switch back to the rocket launcher to finish them off with my last shot or two. Usually this works on Demos quite well and scout are usually rocket shotty. Soldiers are rocket rocket shotty and possibly another shotty if you have to.

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Also, almost every SG has a blind spot. If you can find that then you can destroy it fairly quickly. Cornering is also pretty effective. Fire a rocket, retreat behind a wall, repeat.
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

also keep your finger on the reload button all the time. and movement go forward and backwards move up shot move back reload repeat. also if rocket jumping onto something have a medic heal you before so you have full health when you are there.

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
excalibur
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:7017278

Unread post by excalibur »

I am totally confused with Rocket Jumping , please help me cause as soon as I do my first rocket , I try to shoot on the wall and boost me up , but I always shoot myself down , help =[

*Straightens tie* Gentlemen
-Spy
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Practice crouching and letting go as you jump. In fact just practice a lot, and you will get it.
Noodlefoo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:16175581
Twitter Username: Noodlefoo

Unread post by Noodlefoo »

captainangry wrote:Against Pyros:
  • Shoot the ground in front of them, just out of range of their reflect.
    Take your time and wait for the pyro to charge. Once they are coming at you, it is a lot harder to reflect.
    Shoot their feet. Time your second rocket to hit the ground right where they land and no more pyro.
You've done that rocket to my feet thing so many times -_-. As a voice of experience, I can tell all you soldiers this is good advice...until I find a way to get better and reflect them...just you wait!
ImageImageImage
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

The thing you need to keep in mind is that it is really obvious when a pyro is intending to reflect your rocket. Most of the time you can walk up real close and just shoot their feet before they actually try and burn you.