Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Just out of interest...

How may we help you?
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Just out of interest...

Unread post by steve09 »

Some of you may know that several months ago now my video card, and NVIDIA 7600GT on AGP 8x (I have an old mobo with AGP and a 478 socket CPU) died. Anyone technical might be able to tell me what exactly died, whether it be the memory or the actual processing chip. After playing Tf2 a few times and with it flashing up in funny colours and sometimes Tf2 crashing, it completely died and restarted the PC and would not boot to normal windows, when it did it came up corrupted and then turned the output off. (monitor went to power save mode). I managed to get a screenshot of when TF2 happened to go all funny colours:
TF2 crash-freeze map funny colours.JPG
In the meantime while I was looking for a new video card I put my old 6200 back in and found I could view full HD video slightly less jerky than I could with the 7600 before it died (with the 7600 I could view it fine), but even with a new video card now, an ATI 3600 which can apparently play Blu Ray from a player without having to go via software or via any direct link to the card, I see no reason why I can't play Full HD videos now. My CPU usage is at 100% when trying to watch a full HD video and I remember ages ago overclocking my CPU, which didn't help at all, just made my situation worse adding new problems, the computer would freeze and turn the power to the USB off when It was idle, never on load.

What I'm wondering now is whether my CPU is wrecked or something else like my Mobo?
Any explanations on either of these problems?
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
Darthfuel
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:23731640
Twitter Username: Lucas Straubel

Re: Just out of interest...

Unread post by Darthfuel »

Hey look. you chattet with me right there ^^
OldManJenkins
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26457270
Twitter Username: @OldManJ9

Unread post by OldManJenkins »

That's not a glitch, it's a feature.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

steve09 wrote:In the meantime while I was looking for a new video card I put my old 6200 back in and found I could view full HD video slightly less jerky than I could with the 7600 before it died (with the 7600 I could view it fine), but even with a new video card now, an ATI 3600 which can apparently play Blu Ray from a player without having to go via software or via any direct link to the card, I see no reason why I can't play Full HD videos now. My CPU usage is at 100% when trying to watch a full HD video and I remember ages ago overclocking my CPU, which didn't help at all, just made my situation worse adding new problems, the computer would freeze and turn the power to the USB off when It was idle, never on load.

What I'm wondering now is whether my CPU is wrecked or something else like my Mobo?
Any explanations on either of these problems?
Well, first off, whenever making a switch from Nvidia to ATI, you COMPLETELY destroy all video drivers related to Nvidia, then put in the new card, go onto onboard video to watch the installation of the drivers, reset the computer, and then plug in your card to your screen. Doing it any other way can cause problems with gateways, drivers, and other things. The next step is to let Steam know that you've updated your system. Go to Steam browser, help, system information, and wait. Next, test the games. It's possible that some will work because Steam was updated. The vast majority will need to be reinstalled.

The CPU problem is not CPU related at all. It sounds a 100% power supply related. You probably overclocked you CPU to too high of a clock for you PSU, then when load came, your USB and graphics cards suffered. Then after load, a common problem with USBs, their default software tells them to shut down if they're underpowered on idle.

If you want the source of the problem, I need system specs.