Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Taking Control of Your Dreams

Discussion about anything.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Taking Control of Your Dreams

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

I've done it before, long long ago. Wasn't until recently that I started to study HOW to train my brain to be aware that I am dreaming when I'm dreaming. It's called Lucid Dreaming. Have any of you experienced having the knowledge that your dreaming when you are dreaming? And you are able to do absolutely anything and everything you want? It's like no other experience... (from what I remember). Hell, I can even meet you guys in my dreams!

Quite funny how it happened to me. In my dream my sister actually pointed out to me that I was dreaming. Which is rare since most of the time people in dreams will tell you no you're not dreaming if you ask them. I have since not been able to become lucid again, but I'm trying techniques that will help me become conscious in my dreams. (Keeping a dream journal, finding dream signs, doing reality checks while I am awake). Last night I had 2 dreams that I recorded in my journal. They were both quite strange. I ended up sleeping a total of 13 hours O.O I didn't expect to wake up at 3:30 PM. I guess I was in a deep sleep.

Anywho, I guess I created this thread because frankly I'm interested in the dream world, and what the hell dreams mean. So perhaps this can be a place to discuss dreams, or maybe I can even recruit people to practice Lucid Dreaming with me (if your interested). I really want to wake control of my dreams again, it was so F'ing awesome. More awesome than the Pyro Hat. YEAH! It's THAT awesome Doghouse. Also, It's fun to see how sloppy your handwriting looks like when you write it as you just wake up lol
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Re: Taking Control of Your Dreams

Unread post by RandomGuy »

is this spam?

[spoiler]JK, but i don't sleep for another week, i got exams[/spoiler]
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

As soon as I realize I'm in a dream the whole dream world starts to come apart, but before it does I usually manage to fly around a bit and such.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

So is it common for you to realize your dreaming? For me it never happens D:
ImageImage
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

This first time I was aware I was dreaming was just when shit was getting real, then I realized that it was a dream and that I had a project due the next day and decided to wake up.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

hmm.. from what ive heard from peoples experiences with dreams:
Things that happen to your body while you are dreaming, like someone slapping your hand trying to wake you up.. your brain tells you something is happening to your body through your dream.

example.. my friend was dreaming he was in his school's hallway at his locker. he went to open the locker, and his hand was shocked everytime he grabbed the handle. (someone was slapping his hand trying to wake him up)

most of my dreams are a variation of something that had happened to me that day, or something that has been bothering me.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

HuRtMePleNtY wrote:hmm.. from what ive heard from peoples experiences with dreams:
Things that happen to your body while you are dreaming, like someone slapping your hand trying to wake you up.. your brain tells you something is happening to your body through your dream.
Funny thing, this happens also happens in reverse. I tend to realize that I am dreaming fairly often (though dreaming itself has become a very rare occurrence as of late) and found away to mostly sync my real world and dream bodies. It's kinda freaky doing this at first, because you are in a state between consciences. Is it useless? Kinda, but it is handy if you want to wake yourself wake up and escape from those evil lesbian raptors that have been chasing your through a Dali painting and I once managed to self induce a sleepwalk and move from my bed to my chair while asleep.

Sadly, even when I do realize I am dreaming, I find it hard to make it a "lucid dream". I have only reached the whole god like thing once, all the other times I was wondering around in the hive of scum and villainy that is my mind. If you can get this down, trust me it is worth it. Create all your childhood enemies in front of you and set them on fire! You want to have sex with five Avril Lavines at the same time? Go for it! The only way I can describe it is having a very deep day dream in which the real can't separate you from. The down side is that in order to self induce a lucid dream, you'll need to have Zen level focus when you are a sleep, not an easy task.
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

No, it's not common at all. Happens very rarely, but it is fun when it does.

Also, I've had dreams where I've wandered around a screwed up London as I heard bells repeating over and over. I only found out later that the bells were my alarm clock, ha.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

Been years since i remembered a dream
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

1. Yes this has happened to me. I tend not to dream actually unless it's a day dream. When I do dream it is more towards the end of my sleep that it happens and I have control of my dreams then for some reason. Probably all the day dreaming I did in class.....

2. The whole thing about stuff happening in your dream relating to the real world.... It usually used to happen with my alarm. However, my mom swears that she was dreaming one time and the phone was ringing and she couldn't pick it up. Turns out the phone was actually someone banging on her door to tell her that her neighbors house was on fire.

I used to try to master stuff in my head when I was younger.... This is going to sound strange....
Okay so I used to imagine a slice of cucumber. However the skin is like a razor. Every time I bent the skin away it sprung back. My goal was....holy crap... I just zoned out and dreamed for 30 min.... not a word of a lie.... anyways the goal was to get the inside of the cucumber away from outside.

Also I tend to jump in my dreams. That's when I kick things in real life.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

I've only gotten lucid in a dream once or twice. (Sliding down a giant flight of stairs with an inner tube owns until you try it in real life.) But that doesn't mean my dreams aren't fucking surreal. Often things will be normal (For a dream anyway) but when I approach this certain playground from my youth, things will go insane.

For example, one time I was walking through one of my old neighborhoods with my "big sister" (just someone from a dream I guess) when we walked near said playground. All at once the trees started blossoming some odd flowers, and began dropping them all over the streets, completely flooding them. Upon closer inspection I noticed that these "flowers" were, in fact, soda bottles without the labels. Then a giant purple wall rose from the ground and started breaking the houses, and keeping us from the playground. Then, the "sister" character started getting blue scars/tattoos all over her skin, and started turning into a leopard. The leopard had the same pattern of scar/tattoos all over its body. She started running into the wall and she disappeared. I was left alone standing by the ever-growing wall of purple, but then I noticed a random door next to a tree. This being my chance to escape, I ran to it and opened it up, and found myself on an iceberg with a bunch of penguins building a normal-looking waterslide on it. I decided to climb to the top and slide down. Oddly enough the waterslide went "underground" and dumped me out in a rusted out chamber where I found a few of my friends working, trying to stop it from leaking. They kept telling me to keep running, and go through all the chambers till you get to the bottom. Like they said I went through about five more chambers until I got to the bottom, a large pool. I started drying off, and noticed my parents telling to pack up and get ready because we're leaving. I realized I left my shoes in the water chambers and wanted to go get them, but then I heard a weird whistling noise. I noticed it sounded like a bomb falling, and got my answer when it fell and destroyed the pool, and killed everyone. And then I woke up... :?

I got a ton of more stories like this, all starting with that playground.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

I tend to remember dreams, and a lot of time when I do they turn out to be prophetic....as in, months or years later I'll get the deja vu and remember having dreamt it before, back when it made no sense.

For example, I had deja vu the other day when I was over at my friends house playing the new punchout, and I remembered that I had had the dream before he even owned a wii. Of course, it made a lot less sense at the time I dreamed it - how we were playing punch out, but it wasn't really punch out...etc. etc.

This whole thing bothers me, as before he was even in the showdown with Hillary I had a dream that Obama was assassinated at an airport at one of the Carolinas (I think South). It was weird at the time because I don't tend to dream about political stuff (or in the third person), and he wasn't all that famous yet. I think it'll be okay though, because it didn't really make sense. The assassins had gotten him to answer a payphone somehow, and they had had a sniper in position to shoot him in the back of the head when he did...and it's pretty hard to imagine the president answering a payphone.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

I tried meditation for a while, and began to have really strange dreams at that time. Mostly they were of me in situations that I had been throuh in the past, but this time I was able to do things differently or sometimes make worse mistakes. I felt as if i had a lot of control and anytime things did not go the way I wanted them to I was able to force the dream into a different direction, start it over, or sometimes even completely wake up. I think that the meditation had a lot to do with that, in that it allowed me take control of the processes in my brain. I became sometimes hyper aware of my body and my surroundings, to the point that I would almost be high. I felt sometimes as if there might have been something spiritual happening to me, but it may have just been that was releasing a lot of endorphines. I had the crazy idea at one point that I might even be able to fly or do something amazing with my newfound meditative powers. I think may be because it was unguided meditation that I became a litttle bit crazy. I would caution people of trying to take any sort of mental or spiritual journey completely on your own like I did. I stopped meditating regularly when I started back in college, and I have been toying with the idea of starting it up again. Once more, you shouldn't try this sort of thing by yourself, as it could get a little bit trippy and might cause you to become disconnected with reality.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
excalibur
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:7017278

Unread post by excalibur »

I always HAVE at least one picture in my dreams , that is in real life , its like a vision.. So when it comes to the time that , that picture that was in my dreams shows up in real life , I realize that the other one was a dream / vision and this was for real.. I got real screwed up..

*Straightens tie* Gentlemen
-Spy
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Whenever I get dream deja vu, its just some random piece of dialogue that I won't think about for a year, and then I'll hear it in conversation and just have foggy memory of it.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

I like to try and figure out why I'm having the deja vu. I mean, if my subconscious that knows the future decided to let me remember the dream to cue me to an upcoming event...surely something around the time of the deja vu will be significant enough to warrant the deja vu...