Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Haxwehttam's Guide to Fire

Tips and tricks for playing the Pyro class.
Haxwehttam
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19860489

Haxwehttam's Guide to Fire

Unread post by Haxwehttam »

Pyro

job: pyrotechnics

weapons

flamethrower- 122 damage per second and crits of 366 persecond 5-6 damage persecond for 10 seconds
ability- Airblasts can knock back enemies, EXTINGUISH FIRES , and repel projectiles with alt fire (right click) and extinguish fires, consumes 20 ammo :edit// repelled objects now deal minicrits and airblasting enemies to their deaths gives you credit

Backburner- 153/second, 459/sec on crits 5/6 damage persecond for 10 seconds
ability- guaranteed crits when burning someone from behind, yet lacks compression blast

Shotty- short to mid range 60-90 damage and crit of 180

Flaregun- 30 damage on hit and burns the target for 5/6 damage persecond for 6 seconds also a crit of 90 and minicrits enemies already on fire

Fire axe- 65/hit 195/crit

Axtinguisher- 33/hit and guaranteed crit on burning enemies (crit only available when they are on fire) crit is 195

HomeWrecker- 49/hit for players but does 130damage per hit for buildings crits are 146 for players and a supposed 390 damage crit for buildings Also breaks spy's sappers

Tauntkill- shotgun/flaregun with ammo- takes 3 seconds to do an instant 500 damage plus a fire effect

note firedamage is determined by particle range from flamethrower (farther away from you less damage)

vs scoots
basicly just imidiately switch to shutgun or try to be lucky with a flaregun if they are far to mid range
but if they dare to get too close BURN THEM WITH YOUR FLAMETHROWER
the afterburn alone discourages the scout
plus if you get them and they have a sandman they are much easier to kill

when against scoots usually ignor them unless they are attacking you or are neer you (or the onlyones neerby)

vs soldiers
most of the time the soldier will stay out of the range of your flamethrower (ofcourse this is to be expected)
so get out a flaregun or shotgun and convince them to get out their rocketlauncher
if they fire more then 4 shells at you try to run at the and burn them (this works only sometimes and is least likely to work)
if you have a normal flamethrower then stay midrange and compression blast them back at their feet untill they get their shotties out (if they have it)
if a solly runs up to you with an equalizer they will usualy be looking to get a quick crit on you so burn them on the way to your face because even if they do kill you your afterburn will
end their life soon.

vs other pyros
tricky foes with the same gun as you
best bet is to do 1 of 3 things

1. get out a backburner (best chance) or flamethrower(not as great vs other pyros) and try to run behind them
if they cant burn you then they cant kill you
also note that the backburner is only better because when behind pyros, even though it wont give an afterburn effect, you get easy crits

2. getout a shotgun (bestchance, in this cenario) or flaregun (dont bother) and stay midrange and shoot at them

3. get out sometype of axe and start hitting them if you have fireaxe you willdo some good damage
if you have axtinguisher you will do damage but not as much vs pyros

vs Scotty

burn them, most demomen know they cant easily kil a pyro because that wallbounce thing doesnt work anymore
watchout, for stickies they will murder you if your not careful (or airblast but thats 25 ammo)
and stay away from direct line of sight, if they have pipebombs then they will easily get 100 damage on you with a direct hit so stay to the side a little

vs highlanders

easy burn them and stay away from theyr long sharp pointy bloody blade of death
might even try to set them onfire and axtinguish them while running by you
also try to not get targed

vs heavies

ambushing is the best thing you have anything else is secondbest
get on top of them from a high ledge, get behind them and burn them when distracted, or axetinguish them (this is not in order)
do NOT attempt to try to kill them when they know where you are (alone)
this goes for most classes

IF THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE THEY WILL BE MORE ALERT AND QUICKLY CHANGE DIRECTION AT YOU AND KILL YOU

backburner also helps when they have their backturned
and avoid boolets

vs engis and sentries (this may be revised soon)

engis usually will be no problem just watch for a shotgun blast in the back of the head
homewrecker through testing doesnot really help vs lvl 3 or lvl2 sentries as they push you back so much
best thing to do is circle strafe
circle straffing will be discussed neer the bottom of this page
or to use a flaregun and burn the engi (if he is on fire they will die quicker so your freinds can take down the sentry nest easier

homewrecker however does do lots of damage to dispencers and teleporters

one way to win against any sentry is to look for a way you can get behind the dispencer engi and the sentry (in that order would be best unless hes alraedy gone or dead)
if you can get the sentry to runout of ammo by standing BEHIDN a dispencer for long enough then you might have a chance (takes a while)

besides that there really is no other way to defeat a sentry nest of lvl2+ sentrys besides running straight at it with fire
lvl 1 sentry nests will be easilly kiled tho

vs Aussies

shoot flares at them to get them to be distracted while you run at them to later kill them
if they are far

if they are close then
flamethrower them and watchout for kukris (crits are just rediculous sometimes)

vs medics

kill them first ofcourse
get close
shoot with flamethrower
when they switch to melee
get back to shoot with secondary
when they switch back to needle gun
go back close and hug them with your flames of friendship

vs spies

did you know that pyros are the NUMBER ONE SPYCHECKERS EVER?!
atleast you're most equipt
easy to kill when not invisable but 9times out of 10 they wont be till they try to backstab you
so spychecking is needed

to spycheck just shoot flame in everydirection checking corners, anyone that passes by, sneezes, moves, or anyone or anyplace that you havent spychecked in a while
if you are still confused just watch this video made by other GREAT spycheckers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR04zoJurSI

thats kinda how you do it and also if anyone DOES seton fire if you do a sweep then focus on them
focus real hard
REALLY HARD
on killing them

GENERAL + CIRCLESTRAFING
to circle strafe (and i know i will have to explain this in every guide)
you will need to keep your crosshairs on the opponent heavy, sentry, or otherwise for the entirety of these next parts

pressing a combination of wasd right will make you runin aound your opponent really fast and while doign so makes it harder for them to hurt you (not for solly tho)
moving toofast will expose you toomuch to their crosshairs (or end of the sentry) and tooslow and they will spin while you circle
for sentrys you have to do just right so they dont hurt you and it must be done while around a corner
and if your opponent seems very distracted and is isnt moving around all that much then take the time to hadouken them it will be worth it because you wont waste ammo
AND they might wake up while you burn or axe them

Edit Wed. may 19 2010

working with engis
spychecking is easy all you have odo is shoot flames everywhere an into corners
also with the homerecker your much better at helping the engi since if hes backstabbed and you kill the spy you can also knock off his sappers
Last edited by Haxwehttam on 19 May 2010, 07:03, edited 5 times in total.
sConed
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17253385

Re: Haxwehttam's Guide to Fire

Unread post by sConed »

Haxwehttam wrote:3. get out sometype of axe and start hitting them because if you're desperate enough to get an axe out in a fire fight then you kno you are going to loose
unless they have their own axe out and are running at you then dont use it
So you're telling us to get out our melee weapons out because if we're actually taking them out against another pyro then we know we're going to lose.

Good job on making no sense.

Anyways, I actually find using melee useful against other pyros, only if they're already close enough (e.g. When another pyro charges at you head on with his flamethrower and comes extremely close to you). Otherwise, keep using your flamethrower/shotgun.
And if an enemy pyro is coming at you with his melee, but hasn't come close enough yet, then don't take yours out. Keep using your flamethrower/shotgun. By the time they come to their senses and switch to a different weapon, you should have already done a good deal of damage to them while they have yet to damage you.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

there have been a few changes to the pyro as of lat nights update, since they are not listed i will do that myself.

Pyro changes
Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).
Airblast re-fire delay reduced by 25%.
Airblast ammo usage reduced by 20%.
All reflected rockets/grenades/arrows now mini-crit.
Airblasting enemies into environmental deaths now awards the death credit to the Pyro.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
scottlind1
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:27359265

Unread post by scottlind1 »

Actualy the reductions were removed. Like, quite a while ago.
Common sense is so rare now a days it's a god damn super power.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

if you has seen the date on my post you would have seen it was from april.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
scottlind1
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:27359265

Unread post by scottlind1 »

I know, I did it for the sake of the guide. if people saw that the pyro had reductions. then they might believe that it still has them.
Common sense is so rare now a days it's a god damn super power.