Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Drop Farming: Pros/Cons?

Discussion about anything related to Team Fortress 2.
Not The Author
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16538821

Drop Farming: Pros/Cons?

Unread post by Not The Author »

I just want people's opinions on whether or not going on an Idle Farm server is worth it.

So far as I can figure, one would use these servers if there's still stuff they want to unlock, but they're not in the mood to actually play.
So one would, say, get on a Farm server, go Idle, and boot up a VGConsole while they wait for the drops.
Or perhaps overnight, get some pickups while you sleep, yeh? That sort of thing.

The only reason I bring this up is many people have shown annoyance at the randomness of the new unlock system, and I am now seriously considering Idling. It still seems... wrong, somehow, though, so I would like the community's opinion.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Re: Drop Farming: Pros/Cons?

Unread post by Divine Fate »

I don't see a problem when you're not playing to just drop in on an idle server. The only problem I've seen with it is that the servers sometimes crash, then you never know because you were AFK. It's exactly the same as playing the game normally, so if you want drops play the game, don't just sit and wait in the server.

Just don't idle in cC, because the minute you get an item, some overly annoyed person will kick you. No more items :?.

Now whenever I go somewhere, instead of closing Steam, I open it and launch in an idle server. Very helpful to get items when you're not in play.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

It looks like Valve tried to solve a problem by creating another problem. Welcome to no one is ever satisfied.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I like the random drops. I used to go to achieve servers because I wanted the weapons, but now that there's no method to the madness it puts me at TF2 ease.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

If you really really want the weapons, why not? At least you aren't pretending to have skill (which is my main problem with achievement farming).

I already got my jarate though, so I'm just playing and when I get something new I'll play with it. Beats having everything all at once as far as I am concerned.
KEKEKE
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7708842

Unread post by KEKEKE »

I don't love the idea, I think it's relatively pointless to have them drop randomly, but on the upside I am probably unlocking something right now. Who knows? I don't cause I am at work.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Originally I was really against idle servers. I figured I would just play the game and earn the weapons over time. The problem is that the amount of time it takes is stupid and there is no satisfaction in playing for 15 hours and only receiving 2 drops that you already had. I realized that the best way to show Valve/Steam my anger towards this system would be to help break it by having an idle server.

I didn't want to farm the drops but there is no other way for me to get the weapons at the same pace everyone else is getting them. In my experience, when I am logged into the idle server, I get drops almost three times as often as when I play normally. In just 5 hours on the Idle server I got three of the new weapons (one doup) and three other weapons. I have at least 20 hours of play time since the update and I have only received one of the new weapons in that time and only a handful of duplicates.

I am really against farming achievements. Most of the time, if you aren't on an achievement server, you have to dick your team over to do whatever it is you are trying to do. There isn't anything that can be done about it now. The only way that the farming could have been avoided is if all of the achievements were in the game from the start. The way it is now, we all get the achievements at the same time so there is always a large group of people trying to get them. After the initial wave it peters out. This update was a little better then some of the previous ones because 1.) There is nothing to gain from achievements and 2.) The achievements are really easy (I have half the spy achievements without even trying).

Too much rambling. Back to making the new forum template.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

Bummer you didn't put a pass on the achievement idle server, I haven't been able to use it.
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

i have never idled ever and only need the ambasador. like 12 hrs of playtime.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw