Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

PC Hates Human Interface Devices

How may we help you?
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

PC Hates Human Interface Devices

Unread post by steve09 »

My computer absolutely hates Human Interface Devices, such as USB Keyboards, Mice My Microsoft Headset which I use for gaming, my gamepad receiver which I sometimes use for gaming, the Receiver for my Wireless Keyboard and mouse. If I plug any of these in when my computer is running my computer will restart as soon a few seconds after I plug it in. This is annoying me cos I didn't used to have this problem, it just appeared. I can't even find anything on Google helping me with my problem. The hid.dll is the correct version.

After my PC boots back up again & I log into my profile it comes up with this window:
the first window that appears after login
the first window that appears after login
Serious Error Window.JPG (21.18 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
And when I click on More Info:
The More Info Window
The More Info Window
Serious Error More Info.JPG (49.6 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
After I click Send Error Report it sends me to this Webpage:
The webpage it sends me to
The webpage it sends me to
There are 2 files it creates and sends to Microsoft, if it would help anyone (which I doubt it will) I could upload them as well. I don't really want to spend £40 on Microsoft Support fixing this. The disk will allow me to install XP if I boot from it, but what I would need to know is whether it would delete all my files and software, or whether it would just write over all the XP System Files. I also have a Vista Ultimate Upgrade disk and one other Vista Computer in my house, I have been told that if I update to Vista it should fix my problem, but I'm worried it will also delete my files and software.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: PC Hates Human Interface Devices

Unread post by captainAngry »

My guess is that it is a hardware issue with your USB hub/port.

Are you plugging all these devices into the same USB port? My guess would be that you have a couple ports on your motherboard, possibly an additional hub on the back and a few ports on the front. You should try plugging the device in while the computer is booting and see if you still have the same problem. If the computer shuts down while it is booting or while you are in BIOS, you have a hardware issue. Replace the hub and you should be good to go.

If this was the case, you probably would only have issues on one port or one set of ports so you should be able to plug into a different port/set of ports and everything should work.

If everything works until the OS tries to grab the USB stuff it's a software issue. In that case you have to delete all your USB drivers and restart your computer. On restart, the OS will re-install the device drivers and the problem should fix itself.

Right click 'My Computer'
Select 'Properties'
Select 'Hardware' tab
Click 'Device Manager'
Open 'Human Interface Devices'
Delete everything under 'Human Interface Devices'
Reboot

Hope this helps. I also hope you have a PS2 port and PS2 keyboard or mouse because otherwise it might be pretty tricky to delete that stuff.
steve09

Unread post by steve09 »

Well I did what you said, used my PS2 keyboard I always have plugged in just in case my Wireless keyboard dies which happens sometimes. So I used my PS2 keyboard to delete ALL entries under the HID tab and things then stop working as they should, then I did a shut down and rebooted. Took ages to boot back up and only started reloading all the drivers after I logged into my Profile. Installing drivers: it started with finding the USB intelli mouse I have, that worked ok, then it enabled my receiver for my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, that was ok, after that came my Microsoft Headset and that was also fine. Then it installed things for my bluetooth dongle which I figured I'd better plug in once it was shut down, install for that worked ok as well. When it got to my Wireless Keyboard and mouse it annoyingly did the exact same it did before, BSOD and auto restart. After I logged into my profile it said that the computer had recovered from a serious error, so I clicked send error report, and it started transferring the report and another BSOD and auto restart. After logging in again, same window but everything appears to be working properly. Whether its just the Wireless Keyboard and mouse thats the problem or maybe the USB socket its in I'm not sure. Certainly I know that if I were to plug in my headset while Windows is running it would do the BSOD and Auto Restart, whether it does now I have yet to find out.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

you may need to go through the same process as cap'n mentioned, but with the USB controller section as well.
steve09

Unread post by steve09 »

I'll maybe try that some time Zoth. In the meantime I've not tried plugging in HID's when Windows is running so I've no idea if that was just one glitch or not.