Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Official •cC• Contribute Thread

General discussion about gaming.
theGreatZamboni
•cC• TV Moderator
•cC• TV Moderator
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22899731

Official •cC• Contribute Thread

Unread post by theGreatZamboni »

We are all creative in our own ways. But lets face it, some of us are more talented in certain areas than others. But what brings us together are ideas and experiences that are fun and exciting. With the new Team Fortress 2 update that allows for anyone to submit an idea for an in-game item there are going to be allot of ideas floating around. Well this is where those ideas will hopefully land, and be made a reality. Some of us may have ideas for items but aren't good or don't even know how to model. Others may be very resourceful and are skilled at modeling or Photoshop or whatever but aren't creative. The thing is we are a community of dedicated gamers and with our own unique ideas and talents, so lets help each other create, craft, and utterly destroy the competition.

My Proposed Idea

1. All members are welcome to post ideas or questions regarding the new contribute system. Share and criticize openly, cause this is the place to do it!

2. If you are looking to help others let your ideas and/or skills as a modeler be known! We would love to see a new, crazy weapon or item that one of our friends made!

3. Give credit where credit is due, when someone helps you shoot them a PM or a message over steam thanking them. Hell even credit them (or •cC• in general) when you submit your idea to Valve.

Lets make some cool shit!
Loaf
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24291963

Re: Official •cC• Contribute Thread

Unread post by Loaf »

I had this idea for a new Pyro shotgun that I call the Burnshot. It would ignite upon crits(underwater being an exception), and it would have a slightly larger range of fire in exchange for having half the ammo the normal shotgun would have.

As for design I was thinking it would be a jet black shotgun with flames on it's sides, then again that sounds a little bit to cliche.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

'Till Death
Basiclly, it's a WEARABLE sentry that explodes upon death of the wearer(not sure if the engineer should be the only one that can wear it yet), damaging anyone in a 4 meter radius.
(NOTE: THIS WEAPON DOES NOT SHOOT IN FRONT OF YOU AND WHEN YOU TURN 180 DEGREES IT TAKES 3 SECONDS TO RE-CALIBRATE ITSELF)
Specs:

Health: 150

Ammo Type: Bullets(not one man has outsmarted them)

Ammo Capacity: 75

Damage Per Bullet: 8-13(unless I get some critics in here)

Upgrades
Level 2 Upgrade: Explosion Radius doubled, damage increased to 13-17(again critics pl0xz).

Level 3 Upgrade: Explosive Radius increased by 2, Choice between 20% health increase or Ammo Capacity increased by 25 and damage increased to 18-22.

(Awaits hopefully good critics)
Life is whatever.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17045888
Xbox Gamer Tag: Vengeful Sinz

Unread post by Vengeful Sinz »

Critic @Phrozenflame

A number of how much damage the explosion would cause the enemy team would be nice (for considering the range of it) and the explosion radius seems too big (if the damage is too much) since Lvl 3 would be 10 meters and that is a lot of space (in my opinion) so maybe cutting the explosion radius back would make it more balanced. The 18 - 22 dmg seems a tad high since I believe the dmg from a sentry bullet doesnt go down depending on the range of the opponent like a Heavy's gun does (correct me if I am wrong I didn't sit and watch my sentry shoot people when I am an Engy to see how much dmg they get depending on range). I would go with the +25 Bullets instead of the 20% HP increase (unless they are allowed to have a choice between the two in game), for I dislike reloading.

For Damage spread for each level I would go with:
Level 1: same as yours
Level 2: 10 - 15
Level 3: 14 - 19
For I was thinking for a sentry gun that can move the dmg you gave it seemed rather high (unless its like a Lvl 1 sentry with the slow-ish firing rate then I would keep your dmg spread)

Questions:
If it doesnt shoot in front of you where would it shoot? Can it shoot in only angles or is it shooting people behind you?
Does the Level 2/3 'Till Death get two miniguns just like the regular ol' sentry?
EDIT: Can a spy even sap this kind of sentry? And if so, Would the Engineer (or whatever class you put it with) have to stand still? Since the static from sapper affecting the sentry on you would cause some electricity to flow into the wearer's body.

I like the idea of a mobile sentry it just sounds like this "sentry gun" would turn the engineer class (or whatever class you decide to put it with) into a walking time bomb and a Heavy 2.0 from which direction the sentry is pointing.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Important: the TF2 contribution site is only for models and avatars, not ideas.

More @Phrozen

Moving sentries unbalance the game, so you need to tone down your idea a lot lot lot to even get it to be considered. Damage needs to be toned down, as does fire rate.

Upgrade/repair seems like a major issue, along with the whole explosion suicide-bomber thing. HP buffs are usually OP, as you can see from the backburner nerf.
Royalblue
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:14610505

Unread post by Royalblue »

BLU STEAK

like what valve put in the "meet the engineer" video

this (beer?) would lubricate the sentry to fire twice it's normal firing rate, this also has a cool down meter (like jarate) unfortunately this removes your trusty pistol that you never use :p
There was a FLASH, and then everything was meaningless...... there was doom and gloom and there were no stars........................................There were only ZTARS.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Vengeful Sinz wrote:Critic @Phrozenflame

A number of how much damage the explosion would cause the enemy team would be nice (for considering the range of it) and the explosion radius seems too big (if the damage is too much) since Lvl 3 would be 10 meters and that is a lot of space (in my opinion) so maybe cutting the explosion radius back would make it more balanced. The 18 - 22 dmg seems a tad high since I believe the dmg from a sentry bullet doesnt go down depending on the range of the opponent like a Heavy's gun does (correct me if I am wrong I didn't sit and watch my sentry shoot people when I am an Engy to see how much dmg they get depending on range). I would go with the +25 Bullets instead of the 20% HP increase (unless they are allowed to have a choice between the two in game), for I dislike reloading.

For Damage spread for each level I would go with:
Level 1: same as yours
Level 2: 10 - 15
Level 3: 14 - 19
For I was thinking for a sentry gun that can move the dmg you gave it seemed rather high (unless its like a Lvl 1 sentry with the slow-ish firing rate then I would keep your dmg spread)

Questions:
If it doesnt shoot in front of you where would it shoot? Can it shoot in only angles or is it shooting people behind you?
[/b]Does the Level 2/3 'Till Death get two miniguns just like the regular ol' sentry?[/b]
EDIT: Can a spy even sap this kind of sentry? And if so, Would the Engineer (or whatever class you put it with) have to stand still? Since the static from sapper affecting the sentry on you would cause some electricity to flow into the wearer's body.

I like the idea of a mobile sentry it just sounds like this "sentry gun" would turn the engineer class (or whatever class you decide to put it with) into a walking time bomb and a Heavy 2.0 from which direction the sentry is pointing.
1: Yeah THAT would be pretty smart. I was thinking somewhere between 20-27 damage, since whatever you were just fighting should be low on health, but not enough to make the Engineer a suicide bomber(hopefully the player will at least get an assist).

2: I was going to keep the level 1 sentry firing rate, but if it's still too much, I'm prepared for a distance/damage trade-off.

1-7 Meters: Full damage
8-14 Meters: - 3-6 damage
15-21 Meters: - 7-11 damage
22-Max distance: - 12-15 damage

That way, it'd be like a regular pistol at long range, and a weaker sort-of minigun amalgamation at close range if it seems like it would be too much.

3: Yeah, you get a choice between the 20% health and +25 bullets.

4: I was intentionally trying to make it kind of like a magnet for regular enemies who were trying to be sneaky, or lazy engineers who want to get into the front lines rather than stand around and hit something with a wrench, but if you think it may be a problem... I'll try to think of something like increased damage from shots 180 degrees around your back.

5: I actually did NOT think about this. Hmm... you know what? Fuck the firing rate. This thing shoots in bursts.

Level 1: 3 shot burst; 7 second cooldown
Level 2: 5 shot burst; 5 second cooldown
Level 3: 7 shot burst; 3 second cooldown

Tell me what you think about this.

To answer your question about if spies can sap it, I think it might be cool if the Engineer takes damage instead of the sentry. Like, he takes 3-5 damage every second for 12 seconds, then it explodes from overload, and only a friendly engineer can get it off. That way, it's serious if you don't get a health pack soon, REALLY serious if you get sapped right in the middle of combat, and encourages teamwork with other Engineers and teammates to provide you cover so you can get to the next health pack. The sentry can't shoot when sapped, and you can't remove the sapper yourself.

I'm not sure how all of this will pan out in-game, but only time will tell.
Life is whatever.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote: 1: Yeah THAT would be pretty smart. I was thinking somewhere between 20-27 damage, since whatever you were just fighting should be low on health, but not enough to make the Engineer a suicide bomber(hopefully the player will at least get an assist).

2: I was going to keep the level 1 sentry firing rate, but if it's still too much, I'm prepared for a distance/damage trade-off.

1-7 Meters: Full damage
8-14 Meters: - 3-6 damage
15-21 Meters: - 7-11 damage
22-Max distance: - 12-15 damage

That way, it'd be like a regular pistol at long range, and a weaker sort-of minigun amalgamation at close range if it seems like it would be too much.

3: Yeah, you get a choice between the 20% health and +25 bullets.

4: I was intentionally trying to make it kind of like a magnet for regular enemies who were trying to be sneaky, or lazy engineers who want to get into the front lines rather than stand around and hit something with a wrench, but if you think it may be a problem... I'll try to think of something like increased damage from shots 180 degrees around your back.

5: I actually did NOT think about this. Hmm... you know what? Fuck the firing rate. This thing shoots in bursts.

Level 1: 3 shot burst; 7 second cooldown
Level 2: 5 shot burst; 5 second cooldown
Level 3: 7 shot burst; 3 second cooldown

Tell me what you think about this.

To answer your question about if spies can sap it, I think it might be cool if the Engineer takes damage instead of the sentry. Like, he takes 3-5 damage every second for 12 seconds, then it explodes from overload, and only a friendly engineer can get it off. That way, it's serious if you don't get a health pack soon, REALLY serious if you get sapped right in the middle of combat, and encourages teamwork with other Engineers and teammates to provide you cover so you can get to the next health pack. The sentry can't shoot when sapped, and you can't remove the sapper yourself.

I'm not sure how all of this will pan out in-game, but only time will tell.
1) If it is only that amount of damage I would say to keep the explosive radius to about 7-8 meters, while it isnt an amount enemies would panic over it just seems that 10 meters is just a bit too much in any case, unless the damage was laughable (10ish dmg to me is laughable)

2)Its not that it isnt a problem. Its just me trying to figure out on where this gun will be shooting, Like 'Till Death is placed on the back of the engineer so it only shoots enemies behind the engineer or its on his arms and it would shoot people off to the side of the engineer. (I am sorry if I am a bit mixed up or confusing you with my question x_x)

3)I definitely like the idea of burst shooting, because (a) its different than any gun tf2 has right now, (b) it sounds more balanced with burst shooting instead of really accurate minigun firing rate and (c) I could see the dmg spread you suggested for each level with the distance/dmg trade off you suggested.

4)This would make more engineers go on the offensive side not only to use their own 'Till Death but to save their own Engy buddies from dying. I like your concept much more than my suggestion.

New Question:
If the 'Till Death is on the back of the engineer can a spy even backstab the engineer anymore? As much I would like to see a weapon to give the spy the middle finger, it wouldn't seemed balance since the spy just lost its biggest gimmick about it.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Yeah, that's the one thing I really find a problem with this weapon... I was thinking either A) The sentry explodes when the spy attempts to backstab, alerting the engineer of the spy's presence and doing maybe... 15 damage to both of them? Or B) The sentry is destroyed instead of the Engineer and not explode at all.

I'm probably gonna have to ACTUALLY think about this...

About the explosion radius, how about it only increases the radius by two every upgrade?

Now that those have been solved (/pray) I need to figure out a FREAKING WAY TO ACTUALLY UPGRADE IT.

/headdesk

Sigh...
Life is whatever.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote:Yeah, that's the one thing I really find a problem with this weapon... I was thinking either A) The sentry explodes when the spy attempts to backstab, alerting the engineer of the spy's presence and doing maybe... 15 damage to both of them? Or B) The sentry is destroyed instead of the Engineer and not explode at all.

About the explosion radius, how about it only increases the radius by two every upgrade?

Now that those have been solved (/pray) I need to figure out a FREAKING WAY TO ACTUALLY UPGRADE IT.

/headdesk

Sigh...
1)I would probably go with the take 15 HP from them both giving the player more incentive to deciding whether to get +25 Bullets or a 20% HP bonus, since option B (to me) would lean more towards more bullets, while option A would make players think if they want to risk taking 15 HP while still having standard HP.

2)That sounds like a good idea and it would go well with my suggestion and your starting range of the explosion.

3) Why not go along with the idea that your ally engineers have to upgrade it for you? Since they have to hit sappers off of it.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Vengeful Sinz wrote:
PhrozenFlame wrote:Yeah, that's the one thing I really find a problem with this weapon... I was thinking either A) The sentry explodes when the spy attempts to backstab, alerting the engineer of the spy's presence and doing maybe... 15 damage to both of them? Or B) The sentry is destroyed instead of the Engineer and not explode at all.

/headdesk

Sigh...
1)I would probably go with the take 15 HP from them both giving the player more incentive to deciding whether to get +25 Bullets or a 20% HP bonus, since option B (to me) would lean more towards more bullets, while option A would make players think if they want to risk taking 15 HP while still having standard HP.

2)That sounds like a good idea and it would go well with my suggestion and your starting range of the explosion.

3) Why not go along with the idea that your ally engineers have to upgrade it for you? Since they have to hit sappers off of it.
See, that's the thing; I don't want this upgrade to turn the Engineer into an offensive medic. I thought about it and decided on either UoT (Upgrade over Time) or UoK (Upgrade over Kills). I don't have a spread for either of these, so I need to think up a decent one. In the meantime, how about we get some other people to critic my idea? Sinz has given some good tips, but I need a wider variety of people so I know that it's well-rounded.
Life is whatever.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote: See, that's the thing; I don't want this upgrade to turn the Engineer into an offensive medic. I thought about it and decided on either UoT (Upgrade over Time) or UoK (Upgrade over Kills). I don't have a spread for either of these, so I need to think up a decent one. In the meantime, how about we get some other people to critic my idea? Sinz has given some good tips, but I need a wider variety of people so I know that it's well-rounded.
1) I think the UoK idea is better cause then an Engy with the 'Till Death can just sit in front of their spawn and just wait to get a lvl 3 with the UoT method.
2) I believe Divine gave some advice on your item earlier.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

Till death is pretty cool. I'd have to think of a weapon or so. Hmmm, what would be most useful for the engie?
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Some sort of Tazer or spy radar.
Life is whatever.
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

Wrenches etc.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

The new engy secondary weapon should be an Anti-zapper, that he can be shot every (some odd) seconds to save his stuff, so he can unsap his sentry from a distance. For melee I think a mini-crit-on-spy wrench, but no crits anywhere else. 'Til Death is cool, but i want them to keep engy defensive, If 'Til death Did exist, It would have to be the 4th slot which doesn't exist, so I think valve is going another Direction with it. Maybe not though, and it would be cool to have a portable sentry.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

The 'Till Death could just replace the immovable sentry with the portable sentry in the PDA and the sentry will just "grow" or "pop" out of something on the engy.
TheBlindKhezu
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26179687
Location: In a land where the Eldritch Abomination known as the pyro lives

Unread post by TheBlindKhezu »

Or the engineer could deploy miniature clockwork engies that could repair and upgrade his buildings and fight with him
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

TheBlindKhezu wrote:Or the engineer could deploy miniature clockwork engies that could repair and upgrade his buildings and fight with him
That would be pretty awesome, but i doubt valve would go to the extent of doing that and the clockwork minime engies would have to be considerably weak to even make that balance in the game : x
Jimmy TwoTimes
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22756162
Xbox Gamer Tag: PQRKCHQP SAMICH

Unread post by Jimmy TwoTimes »

I say that a medic hat needs to be made. It looks like a plague mask, thats about all ive thought of so far...
Yes sir.
Loaf
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:24291963

Unread post by Loaf »

BOOMSTICK
Replacement for Engie's shotgun, it does 3 times the damage that the normal shotgun would do but has a downfall of 1 shot per round and a 4 second reload time, it would work pretty good for retreating after your sentry gets destroyed or if you just feel like doing a hit and run here and there

MUSKET
Same as the boomstick but not nearly as much damage and is more suited for long range and faceshots

PRO ENGINEER KIT
It would retain all the same buildings as the normal engineer kit but concentrates more on quantity that quality.

EX: You could build 3 level 1 buildings, 2 level 2 buildings, and 1 level 3 building if you upgrade them to that. Oh and also upgrading one of the buildings if theres already the max amount of building you can place will destroy the last previously built bulding.
kplax3
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19938064

Unread post by kplax3 »

this may be a bad idea, but i think if the engie was on top of or near the sentry, he could become invisible, but if he moves, he is visible again, in order to kill spies. it could replace the handgun
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: Get outta here, lolicon furry yuri fan!
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: But enough about me.
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: XD
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I think I finally figured out a decent UoK for 'Till Death:

Level 2: 3-5 Kills

Level 3: 6-9 Kills

Tell me what you guys think.
Life is whatever.
Vengeful Sinz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote:I think I finally figured out a decent UoK for 'Till Death:

Level 2: 3-5 Kills

Level 3: 6-9 Kills

Tell me what you guys think.
That seems like a fair amount of kills for the "Till Death to upgrade itself. Now you really just have to make an image of it and find a person that can model it.
TheBlindKhezu
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26179687
Location: In a land where the Eldritch Abomination known as the pyro lives

Unread post by TheBlindKhezu »

Another thing i wanted to add was different ammo and weapon variation of the sentry like incendiary bullets,Explosive, or a sentry that gets powerful by the kills it have
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

SHIT. My drawing skills are awful. I have an idea of what it would look like though.

When you equip the 'Till Death PDA, you put on what looks like a regular backpack, but when you build 'Till Death, it pops out of the top and a large magnet pulls everything in place. Takes ~7 seconds to build and you can't speed it up because you can't hit it with your wrench.

The finished product would look something like this, except it would have the level two sentry's guns.

I'm also thinking that since it's ON YOU, it should slow you down to about, ehh, around Demoman speed?

*Looks at modelers since my regular comp is down*
Life is whatever.
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

Phrozen, demomen and engies move the same speed.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

RandomGuy wrote:Phrozen, demomen and engies move the same speed.
No they don't.

From tf2wiki.net:

Class: Demoman
Regular Forward Speed: 93%
Regular Backward Speed: 84%
While Charging: 250%
With Eyelander and 1 head: 100%
With Eyelander and 2 heads: 108%
With Eyelander and 3 heads: 116%
With Eyelander and 4+ heads: 123%

Class: Engineer
Forward Speed: 100%
Backward Speed: 90%

But I see why you might think that, the difference isn't that much. I think I'll change it to this:

Class: Soldier

Speed: With Equalizer and 121-160 HP: 88%

That way, it's not a HUGE drop, but it's enough to where it's noticeable.
Life is whatever.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I want a gun that shoots squids. The squid sets stuck in the enemies corpse and then tentacles swing around and decapitate people. I don't care how or why, just make it happen valve.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Reviving thread since Kerplunkers killed it...
This is usually how we approach our game design: Identify a problem, then discuss the ways it could be solved. Our experience told us that even when the Engineer didn't feel immediate pressure, he still couldn't range out away from his base.
My idea could fix this problem! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Life is whatever.