Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Freelancer

General discussion about gaming.
Xratter

Freelancer

Unread post by Xratter »

This is an awesome game. It sucks that the studio that made it, was broken up... I wish someone else picked it up, and made a new one.

If you haven't played it, I recommend it. It's a free roam space-traveler game. This of Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.... similar to that, but instead of swords and armor, you have lasers and force fields.
Fall Harder, Bounce Higher.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Re: Freelancer

Unread post by thedoghouse »

Possible link please?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

I got this game when it was released and loved playing it. It's basically an entire economy based around a story line with endless possibilities (the game goes on and on).

Of all the sci-fi and space ship games I've seen, this one's still my favorite.

Wikipedia tells you everything you need to know.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

I played through the story line, but not until after roaming around for hours on end just checking stuff out on my own. It was really neat, but I the combat was strange in that you had this odd sort of weapons control that also moved your ship. It was a really good game though, and I always thought that it should have been given another go, or if someone were to make a space combat sort of game they should use this as a template for how to do it. There were some others that tried, but seemed to fall short due to over complexity, like X2: the threat, which I thought went to far in it's economic complexity and left the plot and actual game features to fail.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Sounded cool so I looked into it.

Got the demo which is actually pretty cool. Sometimes the whole interact with people thing in games can get old. Didn't seem too bad though, the interaction doesn't last for days like some games.

The graphics are pretty decent for the timeframe.

When I first started the game I got a 'game doesn't recognize vid card, continue anyway?' message. I hit Y and it's been working fine on Vista, which suprises me because everything old I've tried to use seems to have vista issues.
----------
The Demo only has like 3 missions in it that follow the storyline, and you only get the New York system. However I've probably played almost 2 hours and there are still missions to get in the bar and new upgrades for weapons appearing. I think the demo itself could last awhile. I might have to try and pick this one up, I suppose it's no more than $10 online.

I was REALLY stoked on the spaceship flying/combat. Reminds me of the old arcade starwars game that was just black bg with white lines. You had to fight X fighters and blow up the deathstar (anyone remember that?). I always liked that game but haven't played anything similar until now so I'm happy :)

I do have a bad habit of hitting my space bar with my thumb, this COMPLETELY screws up the combat as you lose 'mouse flight' and your ship gets locked straight. I got blown up several times at first just trying to figure out why my ship suddenly failed to respond to my input.

I really do wish we'd see an Oblivion level game set in space like this, that would kick @$$
This would be worth money if you had it in writing