Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Admin Badge

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Admin Badge

Unread post by captainAngry »

You may have noticed the new admin badge underneath the avatars on the forum. This is a still a work in progress. Right now, you will be able to see who is in the new admin system and who is not (for the most part).

Within the next couple days I will get the voting system working. Anyone will be able to vote yes or no for admin for anyone. I am thinking we would start with a base of something like 20. A vote for yes will reduce this number and a vote no will increase the number. Once the votes get to 0, you will automatically be made an admin on the server.

I am most likely going to make it so that people that are made regular admins will be able to lose their admin the same way. If you fuck up after you get admin, people can come to the forum and remove it from you by changing their vote and getting you below the threshold.

It's a self balancing system. If we run into problems, I will be able to tweak the system, remove peoples votes or ban people from becoming admin entirely. If anyone has any thoughts, let me know now before I make it work.

After I get it working it won't be up to me to give anyone admin any more, it will be up to you to not be a dick and make friends with the people on the forum.
Ex-PFC Wintergreen
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20067578

Re: Admin Badge

Unread post by Ex-PFC Wintergreen »

What happens to all the people who are already admins? Do they have to be voted on or do they start at 0?
At least I don't have flies in my eyes.
Viano
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:10048976
Xbox Gamer Tag: Vian0

Unread post by Viano »

Well Wintergreen according to the sidebar your an admin but we get to decide if Captain is.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion man.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Unread post by Äusländer »

See I piss everyone off... I'm going to lose my admin quick... btw I still don't like you hellfire (there is another point)
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
Ex-PFC Wintergreen
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20067578

Unread post by Ex-PFC Wintergreen »

I think aus will keep his admin but Gypsy Joe will no be so lucky. Every regular on the fun server hates his guts.
At least I don't have flies in my eyes.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Gypsy isn't going to change his ways ever, so it'll be up to him to do what he has to do.
Life is whatever.
[DAWN]HellFire
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:25080918
Xbox Gamer Tag: coltalmighty

Unread post by [DAWN]HellFire »

Eh, I'm not going to suck dick just to be an admin, I'll treat people the way they treat me.

Good Luck everyone.
--Banned Calculated Chaos Member--
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Not everyone can be demoted. And I don't think you will need to suck anyones dick.
That's why I made it really easy to vote for someone. All you have to do is click yes from any one of a users post. I would imagine people will just vote on people when they see they haven't voted yet.
[DAWN]HellFire

Well, we'll just have to watch how it all fans out, I'm just saying people might base their votes off of their feelings toward a person, not by their skill at being an admin.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

If people generally likes someone you could make a general assumption that those people don't act like jerks to the people that like them.

You have to remember that a negative vote is worth the same as a positive vote so if someone is nice to some people but mean to others, it is going to be a lot more difficult for that person to get admin.

If you put everything on a time line of a few months I would imagine someone could work their way from being generally annoying and disliked to liked enough to be admin given positive reinforcement and a constant reminder of where they stand.
[DAWN]HellFire

Oh, well, thanks for clarifying that for me, Captain. I think this system will be a good idea, force people that want admin to be nice to those that they are above! good work!
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

I like this idea. One question, will everyone be able to vote? I think a good system would be you have to be voted to a certain level in order to even vote yourself. Like, say you need 10 positive votes to be an admin. You would need 5 positive votes to be allowed to vote.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19053068

Unread post by Guy Montag »

[DAWN]HellFire wrote:Well, we'll just have to watch how it all fans out, I'm just saying people might base their votes off of their feelings toward a person, not by their skill at being an admin.
you make it sound as if public approval isn't vital to successful administrating.

anyway, this system will yield results. 20 seems a bit high though. admins are almost universally hated on the fun server, so anyone who gets admin there will probably catch quite a few No votes.
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

Guy Montag wrote:
[DAWN]HellFire wrote:Well, we'll just have to watch how it all fans out, I'm just saying people might base their votes off of their feelings toward a person, not by their skill at being an admin.
you make it sound as if public approval isn't vital to successful administrating.

anyway, this system will yield results. 20 seems a bit high though. admins are almost universally hated on the fun server, so anyone who gets admin there will probably catch quite a few No votes.
This is generally true, except for maybe a few admins that would attempt to keep the spamming down and the maturity level at least at 17 years of age (Mental, not physical maturity). Those people would then keep their admin because well governing admins are respected.
I personally believe that this is a well thought out system that will not only reduce the amount of people who voice their complaints directly to The Captain, but also make people more happy due to the new establishment of democracy, and will encourage admins to be responsible. ;) :highFive: :awesome:
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Guy Montag wrote:anyway, this system will yield results. 20 seems a bit high though. admins are almost universally hated on the fun server, so anyone who gets admin there will probably catch quite a few No votes.
20 might be a bit too high. I'll make sure it is configurable so we can adjust it if necessary.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

Well for me the admin badge thing isnt working at all, it did when Spycrab linked me here and I came and looked, Captain had 20 votes left, but after I signed in its just totally stopped working, get 3 blobs tht light up one by one frm left to right like progress bars on Vista. I've tried IE8 and FF 3.5.5 but neither have worked again after that first sign in. Also I just came back here frm msn and came to this thread and now all Steam IDs show as chickenpowered.com, last signed in 18 hrs 37 mins ago type of thing.

I think this admin badge vote thing is a good idea but I think it may be a good idea if only people that have been on the forums for say a month or more can vote, just so its a fair vote. We don't want really new people joining the server and the forums and giving unfair votes when they don't really know the person they are voting for. If they are on the forums and server for at least a month then they can get to know members and can (in my opinion) give a fairer vote.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
steve09

Unread post by steve09 »

Weird, after I posted my previous post everything works now, maybe just captain modding it all again.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

It doesn't do anything yet and yes, I was working on it.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

Am I admin? I know I am on the fun server but does that count on here? C:
I think this is a very good idea and I like how it looks. Very smart Cap. (I have a walmart sale commercial song in my head!)
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Surnem
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21134355

Unread post by Surnem »

This is just a test, please ignore this post (testing side bar)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
steve09

Unread post by steve09 »

Sastora, it appears (according to your sidebar thingy) that your are not an admin, either that or Captain needs to fix/link some things. Seems that you need to be voted into admin.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

Ex-PFC Wintergreen wrote:I think aus will keep his admin but Gypsy Joe will no be so lucky. Every regular on the fun server hates his guts.
there's your problem, there are only a few regulars on the fun server that are on here anymore, and all the REAL regulars are used to it
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
[DAWN]HellFire

The only issue I see about this new system is the levels. Like say, you get to the zero mark and make admin; What level of admin will you become? I would like to suggest that if you get a lot of votes that put you into the negatives, you rise in admin power, because the people that vote "yes" to you, know they can trust you with such a higher power.

It would be kind of like a waypoint, so to speak.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

No, I don't like that idea to much Hellfire. It seems all good but I think to be higher admin it should be up to the people who are already higher and captain or just captain. Because anyone can win with the popular vote, it doesn't mean that they'd be good with more and more power.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

cool
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

steve09 wrote:Sastora, it appears (according to your sidebar thingy) that your are not an admin, either that or Captain needs to fix/link some things. Seems that you need to be voted into admin.
These are admins that are on the new system. The sidebar doesn't show everyone.

Also, even though I am in the new system, I don't show up because I need to test the sidebar voting on someone when I am working on it.

About the higher admin stuff: I can tell when people are higher admins right now and there will be a way for me to make it so certain people can't lose their admin powers through voting.
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

This is like some Godfather shit.

"I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse. Gimme a vote, and you get some protection. Protection from what you ask? nothing in particular, but accidents do happen..."
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

Just for the record, if any of you come to Portland and suck my dick, I will get on the forums and vote yes for your admin.