Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

fucked up autoexec.cfg problem

How may we help you?
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

fucked up autoexec.cfg problem

Unread post by rudedog04 »

I was downloading HLSS, and i saw that i needed an autoexec.cfg file that i didn't have. So when i downloaded it, it wouldnt open. When it finally opened after several tries, all of the files in my cfg. folder(which were information about all the classes in TF2) changed from Microsoft Vista Application files to CFG files which i have to use IE to open, which takes me no where!

So question is, how do I change those files back? It is not messing up the game in no shape what so ever, but I still don't know if this will lead to a problem in the future.
Image Image
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Re: fucked up autoexec.cfg problem

Unread post by Divine Fate »

autoexec.cfg is originally a blank file. You can create an empty text document and rename it to that to create the file.

What you did was set Internet Explorer to automatically assign itself to those files. No harm done, and I have no clue how to change them back. Those are blank files too, and you don't need to set your computer to reassign the files. If you ever want to edit them, right click and select open with Notepad.exe.

There is a way to set notepad as the default for those files, but I don't remember. As long as nothing is wrong with the files, and you know how to open them, you should be fine.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

When you right click you should see options...

open
open with

choose program is what you want
then find notepad and check the box always open with

then just close it and it should default to notepad for all of that type.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

well i got it fixed and now i downloaded it through notepad, but now im gettin this "timeout expires" window when i sign in to steam. it seems to not do anything.
Image Image