Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Help with XP user accounts

How may we help you?
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Help with XP user accounts

Unread post by steve09 »

My church just got a new PC and it was supposed to come with Windows 7 Pro and come with a Windows XP Downgrade disk, but for some reason it got all mixed up and came already downgraded to XP Pro with HP Restore Plus Disks allowing an upgrade to Windows 7. Anyway, what I want to do is create an Administrator account and a limited or standard use account. The Administrator account will be password protected, and what I want to do is deny internet access for all programs for the standard user/limited account whilst allowing internet access for the Administrator account.

This is to prevent the computer being used for looking up anything on the internet, but allow the Administrator (me) to update Antivirus definitions and do windows updates. I have looked up the internet and it seems there are many ways to do it, but most things want to install software which I don't want to do. There are some things that are supposed to be able to be done about this within Windows such as using group policies but on my XP I can't see how to do it.

Anyone who can help me with this without having to install software would be gladly appreciated.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Re: Help with XP user accounts

Unread post by RandomGuy »

Church....

k easy way: disconnect the network card.

when you want to update, plug it back in.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

its an on board LAN. One way I was thinking was just disabling it in Windows, cos a limited account shouldnt be able to re-enable it should they? this is one of the simplest ways I see of doing it, other than removing the cable between the wall box tht will get put in and the PC, but then someone can buy a cable and then use the internet... I might end up phoning a friend, or speaking to one of the college IT guys, see if they can help me with this.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

If someone goes through all the trouble to bring a cable.... Yeah but disabling it in windows might work, I've never had any reason too
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw