Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

About upgrading my computer

Discussion about anything.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

About upgrading my computer

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

My friend said if it can't run l4d it probably won't fair well against alot of games.

so i was thinking of getting an ATI X1600 Graphics card

More memory

And an Intel core 2 duo

Any suggestions?
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: About upgrading my computer

Scratch that

Ok, My processor is an AMD athlon

My graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro FX which has a Direct X integrated soundcard.

And windows XP

How does this compare to the l4d recommended/minimum hardware?

My dad is worried that the intel processors won't fit on the motherboard. Which is a K8V SE with a socket 754 meant for AMD 64processor with built in 1MB L2 cache

So what should i get, and can i get an estimate cost?
Last edited by Wamp Rats on 17 Feb 2009, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

If anyone knows what the fuck i said, because i sure as hell don't know, help meh nao sos i can playz some 1337 l4d lawl
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

The slot on your processor will compare to what processors are compatible. For instance, if your board supports a socket 754 processor, any processor that is socket 754 will work.

The amount of ram you have and the type of ram you have will play a big part in how well the game runs. You should have at least 3GB of DDR3 ram if possible. I can run L4D alright at max resolution with 3GB of DDR1 ram. I have a nice graphics card, a pretty nice processor and meet all of the requirements, my ram just isn't fast enough to run everything on max smoothly.

Graphics card should have 512MB of DDR3 memory at the very least. All of the cards you have been looking at probably have this much memory.

Soundcards don't have anything to do with running the game.

Windows XP should run any game you want to. The version of OS isn't very important as far as being able to run the game. It's more important that your OS is compatible with all the hardware you get which shouldn't be an issue when using XP.

If you are going to replace your processor, you should probably just upgrade your motherboard to support a better processor. As long as you get a good motherboard and a good processor, your computer should last a while and motherboards are actually one of the less expensive parts of a computer. Maybe not less expensive but somewhere in the middle anyway. Graphics card is probably going to be the most expensive, depending on what you end up getting for a processor.

Today I am in a hard place. I have a nice graphics card, a nice monitor and decent processor but my Motherboard doesn't support DDR3 ram. That means I am going to have to replace my Motherboard, all my ram and probably my processor in order to upgrade my computer. On top of that my power supply is crapping out on me so about the only thing I can keep in my computer are all my drives (HDD, DVD etc.), some of my fans and my graphics card.

If you don't know a lot about computers and putting them together it is almost impossible to go to the store and find what you need, especially if you are looking for a new motherboard. My best advice is to try and find a computer store in your area with knowledgeable employees. I'm not talking about an office supply store or a big box store somewhere with a computer department, I am talking about a computer store. One that you would be able to walk into and have a selection of a few dozen of any one thing you would need. Microcenter is good if there is one in your area. When I built my first computer I went in there, told them my budget and what I needed the computer for and they walked me around to each component, gave me the pros and cons of the items they would recomend, and helped me pick out everything I needed to build a fully functioning computer.

Long post, wall of text, done.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

captainangry wrote:3GB of DDR3 ram if possible.
LOL WUT :shock:

Uhh, angry I got 2GB of DDR2 and I max L4D. Not to mention that much DDR3 is like $200.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Also maxed out graphics isn't the only way to play games. My comp runs L4D. Not very well mind you but runs.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Me and my padre had a long and brain wracking discussion about it.

Turns out i'm just going to save up enugh to build a whole new custom computer
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Riftoff wrote:
captainangry wrote:3GB of DDR3 ram if possible.
LOL WUT :shock:

Uhh, angry I got 2GB of DDR2 and I max L4D. Not to mention that much DDR3 is like $200.
I guess for the ram I went to what I would get and not what would actually be required to run it.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

honestly building a whole new pc would be better for the amount of things you need to upgrade.

i highly recommend IbuyPower.com they have alot of discount prices and are very reliable.
Aerogablaze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19303814

Unread post by Aerogablaze »

I Bought my 700$ computer form them :awesome: But I went and got me a 100$ Graphic card on the side
"-Ahem- Gentlemen? ..."
Team Fortress 2 Hired Spy
I am Spy - Play Free Online Games
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Unread post by Äusländer »

newegg.com

all you need to know, ever.

Every computer in my house has either been built by parts from there for has parts from there in it, even my carputer.

DDR3... at the moment a waste of cash.

DDR2 1066 is the sweet spot at the moment in my opinion. Paid just over $100 for 8 gigs (4x2g) of 5-5-5-15 RAM for my new machine...

Before you say anything I'm running a 64 bit OS.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I recommend newegg also. I bought an 8800 gt from there and I can play it at full settings. Though lately its been crashing a bunch, yet no other game I have does that. It crashes to the point of me being too impatient for it to "uncrash", and it gets caught in a sound loop. It doesn't happen often, but its really annoying. I still recommend it :-p
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

If my dad lets me use the money in my bank account i'll have about a third or almost a half of the money i need out of the way, Alot of nice stuff is on Tiger Direct, So i might get some stuff from there, I'm still split on case mods