Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Google Chrome Out of Beta

Discussion about anything.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Google Chrome Out of Beta

Post by captainAngry »

I am not sure how many of you are into web browsers (being a web developer I am required to be aware of anything like this) but google chrome is now out of beta. Personally, I am addicted to FireFox.

Chrome uses the same rendering engine (Webkit) as Apple's Safari and it renders website pretty well. I didn't make the swap because I missed all of my FireFox plugins that help me do web development. I had my girlfriend fire it up when it first came out and I don't think she has used FireFox since. She uses it exclusively so I guess different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, what web browser do you use? What do you think of chrome?
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Re: Google Chrome Out of Beta

Post by g_e_oos »

Honestly I love Chrome. I've been using it since it came out. I've had a few compatibility issues but nothing serious. I really am excited for when Chrome starts allowing apps like they said it would which shouldn't be to far off now that it's out of beta.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Post by Riftoff »

I liked Chrome when I tried it, but it didn't have all the awesome features of Firefox, so >_>.
genie
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20121258

Post by genie »

i love my firefox...forever and ever. <3
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Post by thedoghouse »

INTERNET EXPLORER I HAS AND WILL HAS TILL MY COMP EXPLODES OR SOMETHING OF THE SORT
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Post by g_e_oos »

Look at the bright side. My GF still has IE v.6 on their comp. Oh and windows ME so....yeah....
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Post by captainAngry »

I still have IE6 on my computer but only because I still need it to test websites. One of these days people will stop using IE6.
genie
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20121258

Post by genie »

that day will come soon!

i'm a huge recruiter for firefox users. i have all my friends switch, and they love it more than IE. =)
tis a beautiful thing.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Post by MrKerplunkers »

Believe it or not most of my friends still use safari :roll:
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Post by Riftoff »

MrKerplunkers wrote:Believe it or not most of my friends still use safari :roll:
On Windows? Why the hell would you do that, other than to be a pretentious hipster? It's slower than IE, and has less features than pretty much any other browser.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Post by g_e_oos »

Well they don't even know there are other browsers or that they can update IE....
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Post by MrKerplunkers »

Riftoff wrote:
MrKerplunkers wrote:Believe it or not most of my friends still use safari :roll:
On Windows? Why the hell would you do that, other than to be a pretentious hipster? It's slower than IE, and has less features than pretty much any other browser.
Naw, quite a few of my friends use mac. Which even then you can still get firefox, chrome and even netscape I would prefere. I hope they make chrome for the Iphone :ugeek:
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Post by captainAngry »

Riftoff wrote:
Safari uses the same rendering engine as Chrome. It's called webkit.

I have safari on my PC too, but I only use it to test websites.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Post by thedoghouse »

I know use google chrome :awesome:

(AND YES I JUST DUG UP THE LAST THREAD ON THE LIST! MWUAHA!)
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
MehPlusRawr
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:21247467

Post by MehPlusRawr »

that day will come soon!

i'm a huge recruiter for firefox users. i have all my friends switch, and they love it more than IE. =)
tis a beautiful thing.
I love doing this. Firefox recruitment ftw! Yeah, I know you posted that 7 months ago. Also, I use Firefox and Chrome for a backup, and IE for a backup of that.
When life gives you lemons, throw them out, but then make a witty signature about it like Goose.

And also like me.
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Post by Plastic Jesus »

Um, I haven't even noticed a difference between browers. All I need in the little bar at the top for inputing sites, back, forward, stop and refreash buttons and a favorites list. Really, unless you can engineer a web browser that can kill my enemies then they are all the same since the begining. Using a new one only makes me angry because the buttons that have always been there are in different places and look different. If someone can convince me that there is any browser that is superior to any other one browser I will buy you a coke.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Post by captainAngry »

The difference is how compatable they are with the web development standards. For instance, there are a lot of websites that don't appear the way they were intended because of the browser you are using.

Then there is rendering speed, the amount of time it takes to load a webpage. If you load a page in IE and then load that same page in FireFox or especially Chrome you will notice a huge difference in the amount of time it takes for the browser to render the page, especially if it has a lot of javascript.

Chrome runs all of the browser tabs as seperate processes so that if one of the websites in one of your tabs crashes, it doesn't crash the rest of your tabs. This will only become more important as we do more and more stuff on the web that we used to do with desktop software.

Jesus, you owe me one coke. If you still don't belive it I could put together a 2 hour powerpoint with stats graphs and pie charts. I do understand where you are coming from as a user. All the browsers do the same thing for people looking to surf the web, and they all look basicly the same, but that doesn't change the fact that there are real things going on behind the scenes that make one browser better than another.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Post by Sastora »

I use Google Chrome, I used to use Firefox all the time but Goose showed it to me and now I don't use anything else.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Post by Original »

MMM, pie charts.

I use IE8, why? why not. I get on, browse some... I don't love or hate it, just really have no reason to bother with another browser.

I will say though when I had Kbuntu on my machine Konquorer is the slowest damn browser EVAR! It felt like 56k tops on my cable connection.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing