Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

New Server?

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

New Server?

Unread post by captainAngry »

I have been thinking a lot about adding a new server. I think that eventually we will need one and I think that with the right addition to our server line up, we could bring in more members to the community. We also need to balance out this new wave of people from the fun server :D

The challenge for me was trying to come up with a new server that wouldn't take too much away from the other servers. What I have been thinking about recently is adding a server that has a very limited map rotation, or even none at all. Maybe one week (or one day or a few days) we run a 24/7 Orient or Matterhorn (or BOTG I guess) server to get people interested in the maps. Maybe the next week we run a 24/7 Cyberpunk server. We could run just contest maps in a rotation for a week or one day a week so we don't have to play them during play tests.

With something like this I could promote both our favorite maps and promote our community with special events (like the contest rotation above).

I am open to your opinions at this point. With a few recent donations from awesome people we have the funds to run a new 22 man server. I am also open to opinions on where to open the new server. I always went with Chicago because it is kind of in the middle but I am open to moving this one somewhere else. It can always be changed.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Re: New Server?

Unread post by GrimGriz »

Portland!

I think if you pick REALLY good maps (not botg), you could do 1 featured per week and it'd be pretty cool. I'd do a rotation of like: goldrush, dustbowl, badwater, featured custom...or something...

+1 vote for alltalk off too :)
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

I say the new server should be in either Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, or Illinois (south, not Chicago). Since most of our members are either near or in Canada, or in Texas or Florida. That would be the middle.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

The options would be:
  • Atlanta
  • Chicago
  • Dallas
  • Denver
  • Los Angeles
  • New York
  • San Jose
  • Seattle
  • Washington, D.C.
coolbreeze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:16199966

Unread post by coolbreeze »

i know for sure that when ever i play on dallas server my ping is usually 49-52
and i am from Toronto
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

Chicago.

And maybe we just pick the best playtest map THAT ISN'T IN ALPHA.
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

id say atlanta.
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

In regards to server location, you can stick with what you have currently and make sure current members have identical ping on all 3 servers...or you can try to get new members from other locations. You'll get less of a player split if current members have a worse ping on the new server.
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

Unread post by 4most »

Chicago or someplace in the Midwest...and this sounds like a really good idea just dont pick crappy maps

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I'm thinking Denver would be a good place. A little bit further from Ontario but a little closer to the West coast and Texas.]

Does anyone else have any feedback beyond location? I suppose you guys just want me to do it and get it over with already.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

captainangry wrote:What I have been thinking about recently is adding a server that has a very limited map rotation, or even none at all. Maybe one week (or one day or a few days) we run a 24/7 Orient or Matterhorn (or BOTG I guess) server to get people interested in the maps. Maybe the next week we run a 24/7 Cyberpunk server. We could run just contest maps in a rotation for a week or one day a week so we don't have to play them during play tests.
I think the location should stay the same as the rest of the servers, but beyond that the limited rotation sounds good. Maybe include a few valve maps plus a map-of-the-week to increase it's popularity. Basically what GrimGriz said: Locked Rotation with 4 Valve maps + 1 Map of the Week. Alltalk? Maybe.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Divine Fate wrote:
captainangry wrote:What I have been thinking about recently is adding a server that has a very limited map rotation, or even none at all. Maybe one week (or one day or a few days) we run a 24/7 Orient or Matterhorn (or BOTG I guess) server to get people interested in the maps. Maybe the next week we run a 24/7 Cyberpunk server. We could run just contest maps in a rotation for a week or one day a week so we don't have to play them during play tests.
I think the location should stay the same as the rest of the servers, but beyond that the limited rotation sounds good. Maybe include a few valve maps plus a map-of-the-week to increase it's popularity. Basically what GrimGriz said: Locked Rotation with 4 Valve maps + 1 Map of the Week. Alltalk? Maybe.
I would very much like this configuration.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Sounds good.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

chicago or dallas.

all talk off. :)
Twister
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:23285097

Unread post by Twister »

I think all talk should remain on, because when you have it off there is more strategy but at the same time there isn't much humor or conversation making it a less "fun" experience. :)

And, Chicago should be the server location.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Nope all-talk needs to be off. That is what most of the complaints I hear are. We have two servers with it on, this one needs it off.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I am thinking allTalk off, limited rotation of valve + featured custom or something with only a handfull of maps. I am still thinking Denver would be a good location but I might end up sticking with Chicago.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Sounds great, especially the Denver part. I'm curious how you plan on deciding the maps :)
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

my suggestion would be to take the highest rated map from the playtest the week before and promote the heck out of it. If no good maps came for playtest, promote a map we've done before. Start with Orient.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

We would have to just pick one. I would open up a forum for the new server and take suggestions, make a list and a schedule.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

g_e_oos wrote:my suggestion would be to take the highest rated map from the playtest the week before and promote the heck out of it. If no good maps came for playtest, promote a map we've done before. Start with Orient.
I'm thinking we all agree on a schedule each week. Four valve maps and a finished (or at least feature complete and textured) custom map that hasn't had a lot of attention. (Like Orient, Repository, or Ghost Town when it gets out of beta)
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

Riftoff wrote:...custom map that hasn't had a lot of attention. (Like Orient, Repository, or Ghost Town when it gets out of beta)
whenever original is in the server thats all we play... besides that i think we should have map of the week with no repeaters, thats so if some guy gets a good map and he wants to really promote it he can have his map on the server for a whole week and it also wont let the good custom maps hog the server.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

+1 for Dallas
+1 for map custom map promotion
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

how about a 24/7 cp_heroicassault new york server? eh?

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

Moneygrubbing solution: Have a mapmaker pay five bucks to get his map on the server for a week or something.
VillageSavant
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5138113

Unread post by VillageSavant »

Sounds like fun, beng in PA I seem to have 50 ping no matter how far away or how close I am to server location.
- Every village needs one. I'm the best at what I do.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Riftoff wrote:
g_e_oos wrote:my suggestion would be to take the highest rated map from the playtest the week before and promote the heck out of it. If no good maps came for playtest, promote a map we've done before. Start with Orient.
this= :awesome:
Life is whatever.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

i say we turn the custom maps server into a 7 day a week deal and this new server into a playtest server for 7 days. it would draw more mappers to the community IMHO
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I disagree. tf2maps has playtest servers and the typically empty. The best way to get average gamers to accept custom maps is to mix a small amount in with official release maps.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

The server we have now does about as good as we could hope for for getting map makers interested in the community. We do have a good amount of those guys around, although I am probably one of the few that notices it. That and adding new maps every day and then posting demos of everything would kill me dead.

I am not certain that Grim is 100% right as of yet but I am leaning towards that being a good idea. It will probably take a little while to get a good regular rotation down, but I can definatly see how a rotation of Goldrush, Badwater and Repository would do a good job of both populating the server and promoting Repository. Promoting something that is a little more out there gameplay wise won't be as easy until after the server has a following.

Also, I can promote this server and the community by running the contest maps on this server for a period of time. Plus, if I could get the server populated during that time, we wouldn't have to play the contest maps on the regular server. Only one or two have gotten past the ratings so far but we have to test them as a contest sponsor.

I'm planning on getting this non-alltalk denver based server going this week at some point so stay tuned.