Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

FUCK IT EEVEELUTION THREAD LETS GO (and other pokemon stuff)

General discussion about gaming.
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

FUCK IT EEVEELUTION THREAD LETS GO (and other pokemon stuff)

Unread post by krubby »

state thy opinion or whatever

Vaporeon: damn nice
Jolteon: good but outclassedd
Flareon: garbage
Espeon: god-tier troll
Umbreon: it's just not good enough
Glaceon: shit
Leafeon: totally mediocre
Sylveon: Unbelievable horseshit
Last edited by krubby on 29 Nov 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: FUCK IT EEVEELUTION THREAD LET'S GO

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Jolteon outclassed? There is not a faster Volt Switcher than Jolteon, and I'm pretty damn sure there isn't one that hits nearly as hard either. STAB Thunderbolt/Thunder, STAB Volt Switch to get out in case you can't kill in one hit, Signal Beam kills Psychic types, etc etc. He's arguably the best Eeveelution, and if not the best, he's right behind Vaporeon. Vaporeon is only better because of Toxic/Wish support, not exactly known for being an attacker like Jolteon.

Umbreon is annoying as hell. Run Foul Play/Toxic/Curse/Wish and he can live pretty much forever with the right choices. Protect is more reliable than Curse if you want to give him Leftovers, plus it gives you a free heal after using Wish. Curse boosts his pretty good base 110 defense high enough to where it's only threatened by STAB fighting moves.

If you're using Espeon as a way to set up Light Screen/Reflect, fine. If you're trying to make him a special attacker, he's amazingly outclassed by Alakazam/Gengar/Tentacruel. Alakazam has the same type but a better movepool, Gengar crushes teams, and Tentacruel is a good support on a rain team with his hidden ability and gets Rapid Spin, which makes Magic Bounce pretty pointless. He also gets Toxic and Toxic Spikes so you can set your own hazards and such. Scald has 30% chance to burn, thus cripples physical attackers.

Leafeon has absolutely no positives about him. Good base defense? Too bad he has mediocre speed and awful special defense. Good attack? He has a grand total of one move he gets STAB off of that's worth using. Good speed in the sun? Fire attacks are boosted, and there are still faster threats. Honestly, Glaceon is marginally better, and Flareon is LEAGUES ahead of both of them.
Life is whatever.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

magic bounce
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

krubby wrote:magic bounce
PhrozenFlame wrote:Tentacruel is a good support on a rain team with his hidden ability and gets Rapid Spin, which makes Magic Bounce pretty pointless. He also gets Toxic and Toxic Spikes so you can set your own hazards and such. Scald has 30% chance to burn, thus cripples physical attackers.
Also, Alakazam's hidden ability Magic Guard makes it so he doesn't take damage from indirect sources like hazards, status effects, and most importantly held items. Give him a Life Orb and you just increased his damage by 30% for nothing.
Life is whatever.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

It is brutally destructive to be able to swap in for free, prevent the opponent from using any status changer or hinderer and get to use it on them.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

krubby wrote:It is brutally destructive to be able to swap in for free, prevent the opponent from using any status changer or hinderer and get to use it on them.
I wouldn't call that brutally destructive. At most, your opponent loses one Pokemon. A good opponent doesn't fall for the same trick twice, and with the advent of Team Preview, probably not even once. Espeon has lost a lot of his scare factor. He's not bad, but if you leave him in he's kind of fodder for boosters with his poor health/defense and decent Special Defense.

If the opponent is running stuff like Toxic Spikes/Spikes/Stealth Rocks, they probably don't have a team that's weak to it. The problem with Espeon is that beyond Magic Bounce and Screens, he's not really helping. If that's all you want, fine. If you're looking for an attacker, look elsewhere.
Life is whatever.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Yeah, Espeon doesn't usually cut it nowadays. I just meant that it can be a huge pain in the ass with people not being sure when it's safe to use pointed stones or spore or stuff like that and thus
krubby wrote:Espeon: god-tier troll
Denzo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29304396

Re: FUCK IT EEVEELUTION THREAD LETS GO (and other pokemon st

Unread post by Denzo »

Remember when people played pokemon for fun?

You guys make things not fun.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

TheDenzo wrote:Remember when people played pokemon for fun?

PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

_Pipeline wrote:
TheDenzo wrote:Remember when people played pokemon for fun?

It's all theory, and I'm good at theories.

Pokemon is a game of numbers and luck. Until they get rid of critical hits, damage ranges and IV breeding, that's not going to change. And if they do get rid of those things, only luck leaves the playing field.

You can have a deep understanding of the mechanics and enjoy playing the game. Plenty of people do. You don't have to use the best pokemon or a tried and true strategy, you can do whatever you want. Whether you succeed or fail, however, is based on the logic behind your choices. If you pick Magikarp just to pick Magikarp, you've lost a member of your team basically. It has to contribute something.
Life is whatever.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

krubby wrote: Glaceon: shit
I guess people wouldn't like my taste in Eveelutions still if Sylveon never existed.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Here's my overall ranking:

1. Espeon
2. Jolteon
3. Vaporeon
4. Umbreon
5. Leafeon
6. Glaceon
7. Flareon
8. Sylveon
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

A Wise Man/Confucius/Socrates/Bertrand Russel-sama wrote:Remember when people played TF2 for fun?

Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

This list is based off of compatibility with my team, type (diversity), movepool, and everything else I know gameplay.
1. Glaceon
2. Umbreon
3. Sylveon
4. Jolteon
5. Espeon
6. Vaporeon
7. Leafeon
8. Flareon
I've never used Vaporeon nor Espeon in any way. So those 2 are placed mostly based off of their type
This is my current team, note that I left 1 slot opened. That's because I'm reserving it for Generation 6 hoping that there's a good pokemon I should keep.

1. //Glaceon
2. Mismagius/Golurk
3. Lucario
4. Swanna
5. Luxray
I switch between Mismagius and Golurk often. I cannot decide which is better. So uh, yeah.
Why did I put my team here? So you guys can correct my list and tell me what eeveelution is *truly* compatible with my team. If you were to correct my list, you should probably ignore the fact that Glaceon is on my team.

This list is just by looks generally.
1. Sylveon
2. Glaceon
3. Umbreon
4. Jolteon
5. Espeon
6. Flareon
7. Vaporeon
8. Leafeon
Lastly, this was made in a bit of a hurry. I usually revise posts this long a few times but screw it, this is about vidyas.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Oh yeah, these are my favorites based on how they look

1. Vaporeon
2. Flareon
3. Espeon
4. Jolteon
5. Leafeon
6. Umbreon
7. Sylveon
8. Glaceon
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Haunwulf wrote:This is my current team, note that I left 1 slot opened. That's because I'm reserving it for Generation 6 hoping that there's a good pokemon I should keep.

1. //Glaceon
2. Mismagius/Golurk
3. Lucario
4. Swanna
5. Luxray
I switch between Mismagius and Golurk often. I cannot decide which is better. So uh, yeah.
You play Singles or Doubles? I could give you an extensive writeup on how to make this team work in Gen VI Singles, but I don't know much about Doubles.

And if that Luxray is trying to use Thunder in rain, don't. His base Attack stat is that much better.
Life is whatever.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Let me think...

The last pokemon game I played was Pearl. Let me see how much of my standard party from that game I can remember.

Luxray
Lucario
Empoleon
Azelf, then Gengar after a certain point, because fuck yeah Gengar
Giratina, after a certain point, can't remember who I used before him
Staraptor, I think

Yeah, this was like, way back in 2008, and at least 3 of my slots I never permenantly settled on, to the point that the only 3 pokemon I never, ever switched out were Empoleon, Lucario and Luxray, who were basically defense, offense, and agility, respectively. There actually was a time once, in the distant past, where I avidly played the shit out of every generation of the series and thus knew pretty much everything about all the battle mechanics and abilities of every pokemon up to and largely including the D/P generation. And because I liked to experiment with new and unheard of combinations every playthrough until they became amazingly effective, I knew how to take just about any pokemon (ensuring it had the right nature), feed it steroids, and make it versatile in literally whatever way I wanted it to be, especially once I was at a point where I was constantly fighting in the battle tower. In the end, I could engineer a deadly and effective role for virtually any pokemon that wasn't magikarp, wobuffet, or anything similarly lacking in such a degree of versatility. So I have to say this much: there's really no ranking the eevee evolutions from "best" to "worst", if you know how to bridge certain type-related gaps.

But it's been so long since I've actually played pokemon that I'm not nearly as good as I used to be at sorting shit out with it. I literally almost never lost any linked or wi-fi battles by the time I stopped back in '08, though. So either I was really, really, obscenely good at pokemon mechanics as a result of all the years I'd spent playing, or virtually everyone I fought online was terrible at it.

TL;DR I used to be ridiculously good at pokemon because of relentless OCD involvement in the series dating back to at least 1999.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

PhrozenFlame wrote:
Haunwulf wrote:blablabalablablalbablablablalbalablablabla...So uh, yeah.
You play Singles or Doubles? I could give you an extensive writeup on how to make this team work in Gen VI Singles, but I don't know much about Doubles.

And if that Luxray is trying to use Thunder in rain, don't. His base Attack stat is that much better.
I like doubles, but I know I'll never play it seriously.-Soooo I'd say singles.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Easy enough. Here's the essay you ordered.

Golurk is better than Mismagius for one simple reason. He's part ground type. They in no way serve the same role on a team (Golurk usually goes Substitute > DynamicPunch while Mismagius is a Disruptor), but Golurk counters some of the most threatening and rampant pokemon in the Gen VI metagame; namely, Mega-Blaziken, Talonflame (He's actually a soft check here, Talonflame will still wreck him with STAB Priority Brave Bird.), and Mega-Gengar (and only M-Gengar, because he has Shadow Tag as his ability and not Levitate like normal Gengar. You can STAB Earthquake M-Gengar and his pitiful defense will shatter. Of course, they can just Sub > Switch out next turn and then you've got an entirely different problem because they can send out a trapper whenever they want really)

That said, Golurk and Mismagius will both be destroyed by what is considered Gen VI's biggest threat: Mega Kangaskhan. Most people who use M-Kangaskhan have Crunch somewhere in its movelist, so you'll die in one hit if you're not invested in Golurk's defense, and even then Golurk's base 80 Defense is just slightly above average. You need something with actual bulk on your team, like Mega Aggron, whose base Defense is on par with Shuckle and has an ability that makes him take half damage from super effective moves.

But if you're gonna be a faggot and run Mega Lucario, who is not nearly as hardcore as M-Aggron, use Avalugg. He has really good base 184 Defense and not-bad 95 HP. And those are the only stats you want to invest EVs in, really. You want a Speed reducing nature so Gyro Ball hits as hard as it can. Curse isn't bad either, since it reduces your Speed a stage in exchange for Attack and Defense. You COULD give it Leftovers, but a Rocky Helmet is better since Avalugg gets Recover anyway and it damages M-Khan twice. The only thing I would be wary about is that more M-Kangaskhans are running Earthquake I think, and that they may use this as a chance to boost using Power-Up Punch, which is a really terrible move that increases your Attack stat by one stage when you use it, except since M-Khan hits twice it boosts Attack by 2 stages. If they do that, you better hope Gyro Ball kills or else you're about to get swept. (Also don't keep Avalugg in against Talonflame like an idiot, he can take 1, MAYBE 2 STAB Flame Charges before dying.)

The rest of your team is kind of meh, to be honest. Swanna can set up rain (two of the pokemon on your team will benefit from lowered Fire attacks, but keep Golurk out unless you know they don't have any water moves) and TRY to attack with perfectly accurate Hurricanes, but his Sp.Atk isn't much to look at. He does get Defog though, which gets rid of all hazards on the field in Gen VI, which will be good since you don't have a spinner and if you run Avalugg then half your team is going to be weak to Stealth Rocks.

Luxray should be a pure attacker. If it has Guts as its ability, give it a Flame Orb and run Wild Charge/Facade/Superpower/Crunch. If not, give it a Choice Scarf and replace Superpower with Ice Fang because Luxray is pretty slow for an electric type (Base 70) and has average defense. If you go with Guts, though, be aware that repeatedly using Wild Charge will kill most things. Including you, because you get recoil from using it and burn damage per turn. Still, Guts is still the better set.

Glaceon. Choice Specs. Ice Beam, Frost Breath (Crits bypass defense modifiers), Shadow Ball, and if you're trying to be a badass, Hyper Beam. Choice Spec'd Hyper Beam from base 130 Sp.Atk isn't a joke. It will probably kill anything that isn't at least 2x resistant to Normal, and even then it might kill. Keep in mind that he's pretty much 100% dead after using this, seeing as you can't switch while recharging, and he's slow so HB will go last. Only use it on their last Pokemon or like you would use Explosion.
Life is whatever.
squishy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:27384194

Unread post by squishy »

So what, am I the only guy who picks his pokemon teams solely based on looks and type advantages and doesn't give a singe fuck about the metagame?
Indeed.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

I'm using the hell out of Heliolisk while people still don't realize how dangerous it is in rain. It restores health from water moves, heals in rain, perfect accuracy thunder, and learns surf. Use it with Politoed and it's basically a water-affinity Jolteon that resists ghost and gets Normal STAB. Outside of rain it's just an inferior Jolteon.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

speedblader03 wrote:So what, am I the only guy who picks his pokemon teams solely based on looks and type advantages and doesn't give a singe fuck about the metagame?
Haun wanted to know how his team would hold up in Gen VI Singles, so I told him. There isn't even an analyzed metagame for Gen VI OverUsed yet, and won't be for at least a few weeks. (Though I didn't mention Rotom-Wash because this fucking washing machine is on every team anyway.)

Competitively, Pokemon is down to numbers and prediction, the latter only significant in battles. The numbers part, however, is the difference between life and death. Between Venasaur dying to a STAB Hurricane in Rain or living with 1 HP and using something super effective like Hidden Power Ice on a frail pokemon, and even if he uses that what he's decided to train determines if that will kill or if the fact that he survived was pointless. The reason people who play Pokemon competitively are all over EV training and IV breeding is because of how much that stuff actually matters. With the wrong numbers, a pokemon is almost dead weight.

Besides, there are plenty of quirky pokemon that are actually a threat. Wobbuffet is a nasty trapper with Encore, Destiny Bond, Counter and Mirror Coat. Almost as bad as Mega Gengar. And the best revenge sweeper in the game is a Ditto with Imposter as his ability. Give him a Choice Scarf and throw him out against your opponent's sweeper. If they're using a half good sweeper, use a move that's at least neutral to the rest of his team. You'll destroy them, unless they're a wall, really.

If you want to use what you like the way you like, that's fine. I've never had a problem with that. (And I've never actually played Pokemon competitively.) I've never understood why people had a problem with those that do care, though I suppose that's part of any community where competition is involved.
krubby wrote:Outside of rain it's just an inferior Jolteon.
Solar Power isn't a bad ability and makes him hit harder than Jolteon, though the recoil per turn isn't really worth it at that point.
Life is whatever.
Denzo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29304396

Unread post by Denzo »

speedblader03 wrote:So what, am I the only guy who picks his pokemon teams solely based on looks and type advantages and doesn't give a singe fuck about the metagame?

how to play pokemon

/thread
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

The point I was trying to make is that there are hardly any "superior" versus "inferior" pokemon at all, and it's possible to make infinitely many new and practical uses with just about any pokemon. Point being, you don't need to walk, talk, eat, sleep, and live exactly according to how the fucking guidebook tells you to with its you-have-to-or-else-you're-a-fucking-noob-who-sucks-at-everything bullshit. All you really need to do is apply basic math to common sense, or even get unusually creative and come up with something workable yourself.

If I may:

So yeah, like with Dota (which is retarded enough as is) and other games where you have an interchangeable "loadout" of some kind (i.e., pokemon, even TF2) it legitimately pisses me off when fucktards (otherwise known as "professional gamers") try to force on you the idea that "this is good no matter what, this sucks no matter what" and "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING WHY AREN'T YOU DOING EXACTLY WHAT THE GUIDEBOOK SAYS HOLY SHIT YOU FUCKING SUCK YOU NOOB YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY ACCORDING TO THE GUIDEBOOK AND THE WIKI HERE WATCH THIS PROFESSIONAL GAMER STRATEGY GUIDE VIDEO" /dildota.

Regardless of whether or not you can make your personal preferences work for you (I typically can, so don't worry about me, Lone) the same morons who try to forcibly tell you how to play Dota 2, otherwise known as 99.9% of all people who play Dota 2, are also the same people who tend to be interested solely in the extreme, quantum metagame layer of 24/7 pokemon strategizing. In large part, these people either haven't played a legitimately serious and realistic RTS game before, or they really need to, and hopefully stay there (because sweet Jesus the entire multiplayer CoH community is absolutely retarded and plays every match like it's WWI and not WWII).

I don't think Giro is being one of these aforementioned guidebook-maniacs at all, since he frequently just reiterates that pokemon really just boils down entirely to numbers and prediction. Now I'm obviously not the kind of person who spends any amount of time reading through guidebooks and walkthroughs, but for all you know the suggestions Giro's been handing down could have at one point been realized from his own experience, and are just that--suggestions for one possible situation in one or more possible combinations, and not some textbook rule of thumb copypasted from the wiki and endlessly aped by overzealous players everywhere.

So yeah, pokemon is really just endless experimentation, leaving you with plenty of freedom, constrained only by common sense, which hopefully isn't a very burdensome chain.

I mean, there has to be at least one good reason why Game Freak just keeps on spitting out more and more new generations of new monsters with new movesets and new TMs every few years--there are less than good reasons for this too, of course, such as the omnipresent want and need to profit by milking the players for all they're worth (see also: Valve)--but they certainly aren't implying that they want fucking everybody to be generic, traditional, and constrained in what to use in their party, and how to use it. And to be honest, if playing around with and experimenting with whichever pokemon and combinations you like were as unrewarding as the guidebook nerds tend to claim, the franchise could hardly have been expected to become as popular as it had, and has remained for over 15 years.

Fuck the police.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Pokemon is kinda interesting as in that generally what makes a pokemon good besides raw stats is how many niches it can fill. So yeah, almost every fully evolved pokemon has a use, but often what makes one better than another is how many positions it can fill and how much adaptability it has. There are some that are just plain better due to stats and abilities, but generally the strategy between individuals is so variable that the pokemon used is extremely ranged. Still, the ones that are easier to work with will get used more, eg Ferrothorn, Scizor, Chansey, Aegislash, Blaziken if it wasn't banned from normal comp. play, etc. Pokemon that "aren't as good" are usually called that just because they're so heavily situational or are only real good at one single thing. Even if they can do that thing really well, they often force you to adapt the rest of your team to fit it.

Also, Pipes, deadly Magikarp usually only works against people who have no clue what they're doing. It's hella fun but it won't work when playing against other good people.

Anyway, I think that if you're just playing Pokemon because you want to you should ignore the metagame strategy and choose what you like. That's what I do whenever I get a new Pokemon game. Have fun using Pokemon you think are cool or funny or whatever and it will work. No matter what you'll eventually win thanks to the rather high level cap opposed to the levels of the final Pokemon you fight. I only play seriously when I'm doing actual battles against other people who want to win.
But Dunsparce is useless in any situation and none can deny that.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

krubby wrote:
But Dunsparce is useless in any situation and none can deny that.
True. But everyone knows that Unown is the god of the Poke-World.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/unown

And really, I have no experience in the actual OU metagame. I just played a lot of Random battles on Pokemon Showdown and got used to the common sets to the point where I can call out what move someone was going to use next on some pokemon. If you do that and vaguely look at the usage stats for the month (They'll have Gen VI OU stats in a few weeks, I hear), then you can make a team that can counter the top mons pretty easily.

And for the record, my favorite Pokemon is a tie between Ariados and Typhlosion, who are NeverUsed and RarelyUsed respectively.
Life is whatever.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Don't forget Farfetch'd, the honorable knight that guards the sacred sacrificial altar to Unown.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/farfetchd
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Here's a replay of me being embarrasingly bad at predicting his Skarmory, sending out Ferrothorn for no reason against his Tyrannitar, then Sweeping in the Rain with Heliolisk.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67067812
Burnerman
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19878267

Unread post by Burnerman »

pokemon is just RNGods running everything, i should have a rant on hand, but i dont, because its pokemon
/lennyface
VIDEOGAMES
Last edited by Burnerman on 03 Dec 2013, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

You are the first to use this face in this land I believe, and you shall be banished.