Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Bioshock Infinite

General discussion about gaming.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Bioshock Infinite

Unread post by _Pipeline »

Since the recommendation system on steam is being incredibly autistic right now, I'm just going to leave this here until it works again, if ever, because I hated writing all this shit down only to find it unusable. I give you Bioshock Infinite (TL;DR alert):

This manages to be the most creative, brutally violent game I've ever played. Every little detail is important, has a meaningful purpose, and serves to flesh the story out in a manner which will make you shit yourself so hard by the time you reach the end that you will need an entirely new ass afterwards. If you plan on playing this game, and by all means you really fucking should, DON'T let anyone spoil anything for you, and certainly don't spoil anything for yourself either.

Settingwise, any idiot could point out to you that it's 180 degrees from the underwater city in the original game--this time you're in the fucking sky in 1912--but it's also a bit like Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, in that it's kind of like what people actually living in the year 1912 would have written into their idea of a science fiction story based on how people saw the world at the time. Instead of terminators and spahce mahrenes with laser guns and self-aware computer programs, there are clockwork tin soldiers and World War I-era weapons, and giant electric superconductors taken directly out of Nikola Tesla's theoretical designs; and because it's nineteen-fucking-twelve, everyone has a fabulous gentlemannly beard, top hat, and deep-seated racism against Irish people. But it transcends a simple steampunk label; essentially, it's what would happen if Tesla, Jules Verne and Bertrand Russel combined their century-old powers of kickassery and made a video game about a fictionalized version of the time they lived in, complete with floating cities, quantum metaphysics, and theoretical concepts in epistemology which were contemporary with the great thinkers of that era. Come to think of it, that may be what actually happened.

TL;DR you can make your enemies' heads violently explode by electrocuting them, 10000000000000000000000000000000000/10 GOTY, fucking get it.
I will not lie, this game so genuinely impressed me that it's going on my all-time favorites list along with Chrono Trigger and Escape Velocity.
Last edited by _Pipeline on 29 Mar 2013, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Re: Bioshock Infinite

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I'm like 6 years late to the bioshock hype train. I know that Infinite has very little to do with the first game, but I still want to play the original Bioshock before I pick this one up.

Unless it's like a half-life sort of thing where the sequel makes the first game feel wierd and antiquated. Going back to half-life 1 right after 2 felt awkward, to say the least. If Infinite really does blow the original out of the water (hue) I might just skip it.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

You actually don't need to have played either of the first two games to fully get this one and not feel awkward. The plot and setting of Infinite are both completely different from the original and there is effectively no crossing over between the two universes. In other words, you won't feel like you're missing something if you're new to the franchise.
JamesOfGoo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:34063525

Unread post by JamesOfGoo »

I've played the first Bioshock a bit, it's fun.

I don't have Bioshock infinite, but it really does sound extremely different from the first. I imagine the gameplay is still the same, though.
Image High-five.