[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/chat/lib/class/AJAXChatTemplate.php on line 55: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
calculatedChaos Gaming - View topic - Server Stability and Lag go hand in hand...

Moderator: Zora

Server Stability and Lag go hand in hand...

So, here's a choice for the community. As of maybe a week ago the server has been on a dedicated host. You will also have probably noticed that that also resulted in a drastic increase in lag, as well as a huge increase in uptime. I narrowed the problem down to the antigrief measures. I can remove these, but then the server is not protected, which would force me to go with either me protecting everybody's stuff, or getting factions or towny, in which land is automatically protected. So here's the pros and cons of each:

Dedicated host (current)
Pros
-99.9% uptime
Cons
-Forced to use an rpg plugin
OR
-No antigrief measures
OR
-Put up with the lag
-Everything with a dedicated hosted server takes 5 times as longer to do anything, so fixes or other repairs will be not be instantaneous

Hosted by me (a few weeks ago)
Pros
-antigrief measures
-Less lag
-Things can be fixed almost instantaneously
Cons
-About an 85% uptime
-Downtimes are random, but mostly happen at night on weekdays

I leave the choice to you guys. I don't mean for the pros and cons to be biased in any way.

Last edited by Zora on 27 Oct 2011, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.

Fixed message formatting

Re: Server Stability and Lag go hand in hand...

local. 85% uptime is a small price to pay for lag free mining.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.

Why would you be forced to use an rpg plugin with dedicated?
to go to my Mapping Blog.

Use the RPG plugin and ignore all rpg aspects of it.

Towny is awesome, but doesn't Big Brother work anymore?

That really sucks. That was maybe the best mod out of all the SMP mods out there. You could just rollback within a defined range. It was soooooo wonderful.

Now that I know, I can ask this: Doesn't World Guard have some sort of plot protection?

Fair enough.