Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Server Map Reset at 1.8

Server IP: mc2.calculatedchaos.com
Gametype: Freebuild

Moderator: Zora

Zora
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:30006562

Server Map Reset at 1.8

Unread post by Zora »

Either way, people are gonna be mad. Here's the three things I can do:

If I keep the old map:
People are happy for a while, but then as time progresses start to get mad at me for not having a good map that supports all of the new features and awesome game material that is coming out in 1.8. In a matter of a week or so people will be asking me for a new map or to move the spawn.
If I keep the old map but change the spawn:
By now people will probably be a bit tired of the ridiculously huge snow biome that spans for a good 500 - 2000 blocks in each direction. So, I'll have to build a spawn that is far a way to remove traces of that map that we are all sick of. At this point, the map will be generating new chunks, and these new chunks will contain the new content from the 1.8 update. This way, people can go to their old houses if they so choose to take that journey. Unfortunately, this will make the map ridiculously huge. It will be like 2 maps combined in one huge map. This will cause the server to lag a lot when loading chunks and when the server backs up. People get mad when the server lags... Very mad. Eventually, the server map will be so big that it might just be in the best interest of the peoples to reset the server map anyways, but this is an extreme scenario.
If I get a new map:
The server peoples will be very mad at the beginning, but in a few weeks we'll forget about the old map. We will have all the new content and we can have a nice fresh beginning.
To me, the most logical choice is just to get a new map. However, you might find these options biased. I don't know. I wrote this knowing that I want a new map, however, I would like other people's input on this topic.

-Mr. Z
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Re: Server Map Reset at 1.8

Unread post by Beetle »

Just an option, you could get multiworlds going and make the border as close as possible and still get everyone's old stuff. then have the new world.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Zora
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:30006562

Unread post by Zora »

Beetle wrote:Just an option, you could get multiworlds going and make the border as close as possible and still get everyone's old stuff. then have the new world.
Unfortunately, i've tried that. I've tried it many times. This server map has been reset a few times and when I do try to move people's structures around, things get messy. This is because people have a huge basements that I can't fully copy, and their houses need to be pasted to the right land forms exactly. It is rather annoying when I do this because people request that I move their entire 8 story deep underground lair over to the new world. This time, I'm keeping the world fresh so it doesn't look like a massive earthquake happened. However, I will probably copy over houses from the lots in the old main server city. This is because they were specified lots, so it will be easy for me to copy those houses. With the new biome generator, there will be flat grasslands so I will be able to move those flat lot houses to that biome with relative ease, but other than that, things get ugly very fast.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I am not talking about copying things, though that is an option if you have the patience.

I mean have two worlds. I have done it before. It's like the nether, except its another regular world instead of a hell world.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.