Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

End of console gaming?

General discussion about console gaming.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

End of console gaming?

Unread post by g_e_oos »

http://www.onlive.com/

First check out the link. Maybe google it and look more in to it and tell me what you think. If this actually works it really could end consoles in my opinion.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Re: End of console gaming?

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

I'm confused... do you play with a controller if you're not playing on your PC? That is still a console in my opinion. This thing still confuses me and how it works.
ImageImage
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

The one you play on your tv is pretty much a small comp that you hook up to your tv. You control it with a controller or a mouse and keyboard.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

so its a computer with forever good specs? o.o
ImageImage
Plastic Jesus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5404857

Unread post by Plastic Jesus »

I'd put money into the future of gaming being run via internet. I am almost able to watch any movie I want, when I want with Nexflix. I can already download and play many games on my computer. I'm betting onlive (stupid name) or something like it will replace buying games completely. Eventually there will only be one platform, some sort of computer/TV/internet/sextoy hybrid and you're concern would not longer be your platform but the services that you buy though it. I said this about phones years ago, that eventually there would be a phone/portable game/camera/computer/sextoy hybrid and now we have iphones and blackberries (as far as the sextoy comment goes, have you ever put one on vibrate?). I'll wait for the tech to advace a bit before I make my descision, as I don't want to end up with a bunch of HD DVDs, Laser Discs, or Betamaxes.
Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

onLive or whatever the fuck it is called is bullshit. There is no way you can play any game you want without having to download anything whithout losing some kind of performance. I mean, netflix movies are fine when you stream them but they have to buffer and the quality isn't great unless you have a nice connection. When you are talking about multiplayer games with graphics constantly being drawn to the screen to think that something won't suffer when that is moved to half way accross the country and accessed via the internet is a pipe dream.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

I agree with captain, this is physically impossible. Just check out http://instantaction.com/. It is pretty much the same thing, but it requires hoards of downloads and PC capabilities.
steiner949
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7276060

Unread post by steiner949 »

OnLive is just another scheme for some company to try and monopolize on people that believe everything that they hear. I know the higher end functions of computers and servers are above my head, but I still have enough common sense to know that something that big would require massive ammounts of capital to put into practice. Not only that, it would also require better forms of data transfer, currently the best that we have is fiber optic (anyone can correct me it that is an incorrect statment), and even then that costs much more becuase they have to dig up all of the old copper wires to replace them. They would be better off trying to create a game that is controlled with thought and transmitted straight into your brain than think everything can be taken care of by some magical server.
Give the hardest job to the laziest person, and they will find the easiest way to do it.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Plastic Jesus wrote: I'm betting onlive (stupid name) or something like it will replace buying games completely.
They tried that already with the phantom a few years back. It didn't really work, which may be why a good deal of people never heard of it.

With our current tech, such a thing as onlive is merely impossible, as much as I would love it. If this thing isn't delayed till 20XX, then it will probably be too expensive to be productive.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

I just came
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

captainangry wrote: When you are talking about multiplayer games
Are we? Or are we talking about single-player experience...and would it make a difference?
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I would assume it would make a difference because in single player games, the console/computer is already calculating where the enimys are, where they are going to be etc. In a multiplayer game each player could move in any direction at any time and fire their weapon at any time so I would assume that would require at least some additional processing power.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

I actually saw a show awhile back on what they want to replace fiber optic with.

LAZERS!!!

seriously, they can transfer the data to light, then send a package every x seconds or whatever. On the other end it gets decoded.
The main reason is national security.
Through fiber optic you can 'gather' the data as it streams, with this tech Somebody could hack a small piece of data but the interuption they make in the stream is found right away.
Anyway, I'm typing fast and it's been awhile so I'm a bit fuzzy on details, I just thought about it so I figured I'd get up on my soapbox and rant a bit.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
arkawn
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7761101

Unread post by arkawn »

vaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporware
vaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporware
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

arkawn wrote:vaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporwarevaporware
second'd!