Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

What keeps you in cC?

Discussion about anything.
Zora
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:30006562

What keeps you in cC?

Unread post by Zora »

I've sat here pondering for the last 5 minutes on how to execute this question. There are so many things that I need to take into account so that this question doesn't get taken the wrong way. There are perhaps too many things to take into account.

I've been sitting here thinking, "Why do I stay in this community?" I can sit here for what seems like hours and still not come up with an answer. Thus why I am asking you guys. A lot of you probably have good reasons for staying in the community, and the more I think about it, the more I think that I probably don't have a good reason for sticking around... but here I am.

I can think of lots of reasons why not to stay in the community, but that's not why we're here. The only reasons I can think of for why I stay in the community are very petty, and shouldn't carry much weight.

I figure I'm missing something, but I'm also beginning to think that perhaps the answer is too big to type in human words without ending in a tl;dr. Perhaps I'm just over thinking things, which is why I'm reaching out with this question: "What keeps you guys around in CalculatedChaos?"

I also feel that it should be important to note that this question has no relation to any contemporary events occurring within the community, and is directed towards everyone; myself included.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: What keeps you in cC?

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

I'm still here because I told myself and others that I wouldn't let the community die. TF2 might eventually die, but we'll move on. Hell, I'll even play LoL if I have to, just to try and keep everything together. I'll be the last person in the chatbox the day the forums shut down. Then I'll finally add everyone on Skype and keep it going there.

Honestly, I think that most people will give you a similar answer. cC isn't about the games, it's about the people. It's definitely a varied community. I've met plenty of good guys and gals here. People here see each other often enough in real life, and one day we might just have a cC meetup somewhere. *coughdon'tholdyourbreathcough*

...I could say some really corny anime shit about friendships and bonds, but no.
Life is whatever.
StormyOuterland
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19609615

Unread post by StormyOuterland »

Well apparently nothing,
as a certain someone desperately wants me out.
I love this place, I really do.
I guess I want it all,
but I can't have it.
Beetle wrote:
Anonyma wrote:I personally love the funserver, it's what brought me here 8-)
You love it until something really stupid and unwarranted happens to you.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

My reasons are essentially the same as Giro's.

Don't really feel like pulling a TL;DR right now, maybe later.
Opium
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:32357569

Unread post by Opium »

I would escape but there was that whole soul binding business.

Might as well look on the bright side, when the apocalypse happens I'll be free.

But on the other hand, there is always more than just TF2, especially when there's an endless loop of crippling validations for it that render it unplayable.
Kriegsmarine
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22107167

Unread post by Kriegsmarine »

Well, that's a good question, we're not well known, we're pretty much broke as far as server upkeep, and we also have to take into account that this group was formed as a rebirth of a dead clan that Captain and Royal were a part of.

Our servers are only active during the hours of 11 AM - 1 AM and this time is much shorter on weekdays with work and school. One server is dead and only filled during a blue moon, and the other doesn't know what it wants to be half the time.

But the thing is we're kind of like a family, a family of people who would cut each other's throats if locked in a room with each other for more than 5 minutes, but a family none the less. We can all agree that we're friends, or at least acquaintances, and I think we can all agre that we're a bunch of sarcastic assholes.

I stay in cC because its the only group of people I've met that I've kept consistent contact with throughout my travels. Heck, when I get into college next year, get a job, and a car I may very well travel to the next convention y'all set up a booth at.
Doke doke doke ushiro metai yatsu wa doke
Dreathtil-P-V-A
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13895992

Unread post by Dreathtil-P-V-A »

Well Plebians It is quite simple. Nobody wants to be in cC, actually its blatantly obvious that everybody would tear at each others bodies to climb the staircase of hope and escape this blazing hell just to get to the cold lifeless conformity that is heaven (or paradise, or whatever shit you call it). But who the fuck wants to go to heaven.

Welcome to the family, its fun here, we have interesting sounds to see, and wonderful food to feel.

cC has the effect of keeping you. The hypnotic paradise we call CALCULATEDCHAOS, is not a paradise at all, it is a collection of memories we have made, and have to yet to make.

Nothing keeps me in cC actually I could probably break off for a year like I have before. cC is definitely one of the better old-time communities I've been with and have had alot of memories in. cC is nothing, and that's just it, you can't call cC anything other then what "you" think it is, its a collection of personal shit-storm opinions that go hand in hand.

And while our opinions cause a shit-storm. And while we may have an incident or two, or have a total uprising breaking the fabric of space and time, we will still come back and have a rousing game or two of vidja games.

But with Bananas being excellent sources of nutrition, flying elephants have no impact on the economy leading to massive increments in personal toe fungus, but who cares about the Flip-flop war of 20567, we all know war never sponges before rinsing. Ah well mind as well taste the underside of the Washington capital while the bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon, inevitably leading to a glorious end of all existence as we know it.

It appears as though I am needed
Kriegsmarine
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22107167

Unread post by Kriegsmarine »

Dreathtil-P-V-A wrote:But with Bananas being excellent sources of nutrition, flying elephants have no impact on the economy leading to massive increments in personal toe fungus, but who cares about the Flip-flop war of 20567, we all know war never sponges before rinsing. Ah well mind as well taste the underside of the Washington capital while the bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon, inevitably leading to a glorious end of all existence as we know it.
Dreath and his voice are back
Doke doke doke ushiro metai yatsu wa doke
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I should just lock this thread now. Fuck your emotions, nothing can beat Dreth's post.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

For some reason, I've felt that I've seen a thread similar to this topic before...

TF2:
Honestly I only stay because it's a community where it for the most part is hard to forget people. On a filled fun/mainserver. 80% of the players will be regular/admin most of the time. Unlike some communities I know which is literally filled with people I'm unfamiliar with every day.
The maps on the funserver are repetitive as hell. and has regulars that are complete assholes here and there.
I can think of 3 active fun/mainserver regulars that are in my shit list off the top of my head as of today. That basically sums up my negatives.

Starting all over and attempting to find a stable, active, and decent community is a pain. Did I forget to tell you guys that?
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

Dreathtil-P-V-A wrote:But with Bananas being excellent sources of nutrition, flying elephants have no impact on the economy leading to massive increments in personal toe fungus, but who cares about the Flip-flop war of 20567, we all know war never sponges before rinsing. Ah well mind as well taste the underside of the Washington capital while the bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon, inevitably leading to a glorious end of all existence as we know it.
:rimshot:
giggles
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21234769

Unread post by giggles »

what keeps me in cC..
its really weird to say that the people that make up this community is what makes me stay rather than the games played because we all know the reputation of the members of cC. for one, i can't play most of the games because most of the games are pc only. but through playing other games and talking to some people for long periods of times, almost daily even, they kinda stick to you and you want to keep in touch. ive made a good handful of friends from this community that are really great people (most of the time) and i enjoy talking to them and playing games.
PhrozenFlame wrote:Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm still here because I told myself and others that I wouldn't let the community die. TF2 might eventually die, but we'll move on. Hell, I'll even play LoL if I have to, just to try and keep everything together. I'll be the last person in the chatbox the day the forums shut down. Then I'll finally add everyone on Skype and keep it going there.

Honestly, I think that most people will give you a similar answer. cC isn't about the games, it's about the people. It's definitely a varied community. I've met plenty of good guys and gals here. People here see each other often enough in real life, and one day we might just have a cC meetup somewhere. *coughdon'tholdyourbreathcough*

...I could say some really corny anime shit about friendships and bonds, but no.
pretty much all of what phrozen said. like after tf2 kinda died, we all had fun just hanging out in the skype calls talking about nothing and listening to people get drunk lol. then league happened and thats kind of thinning out too.

a giant meet up will happen. for sure. ill make that happen, in like.. 6-7 years. so stay tuned.
~Mai Husbando~
ManOfSteel
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18919919

Unread post by ManOfSteel »

I've only recently gotten involved with the cC community, but there were a few reasons why I decided to join up:

1. I'm so fucking sick of most pubs and the dumb shits that tend to occupy them.
2. Playing on the cC funserver is some of the most fun I've ever had on TF2.
3. I love this community and the people that regularly play on the servers. I don't hate myself, my class, my team, and my life when I'm on cC, but I hate all those things when I'm on, say, skial 32-man 24/7 2Fort.

I just really like it here. It feels like my E-home.
Trust those who seek the truth; doubt those who say they've found it. -André Gide
Scrambles
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:41717517

Unread post by Scrambles »

ManOfSteel wrote:I've only recently gotten involved with the cC community, but there were a few reasons why I decided to join up:

1. I'm so fucking sick of most pubs and the dumb shits that tend to occupy them.
2. Playing on the cC funserver is some of the most fun I've ever had on TF2.
3. I love this community and the people that regularly play on the servers. I don't hate myself, my class, my team, and my life when I'm on cC, but I hate all those things when I'm on, say, skial 32-man 24/7 2Fort.

I just really like it here. It feels like my E-home.
Fuckin... this. Mostly 3 and 2
Chaofanatic
Steam ID: hurrkayofantik

Unread post by Chaofanatic »

There really isn't any other place like cC. Also I actually very much enjoy the server's sense of humor. I mean really, ear rape is the funniest thing in history. I'm serious!
TragicRhapsody
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:39334908
Xbox Gamer Tag: TragicRhapsody

Unread post by TragicRhapsody »

I think calculatedchaos was the first server I went to that wasn't stockmaps and total retards. I wandered around, and played what I considered the funnest maps evar (iron or some shit like that) and I just kinda stayed because of the slapping and earrape and stuff, up to today.
I will feed you to the homeless.
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

Let me preface all this by saying Fuck all of you, you're all douchebags.

Well, hmm. You're right it's a pretty tough question to answer, for you and me at least. I've actually given this some thought before and i was thinking it was either for the server itself, or maybe the people, But I've come to the realization that i's actually the unique type of bonds formed on here. There is something about the bonds you form with someone you can't see, who doesn't give a damn about your life, yet loves what you love. You really cant find it anywhere else, there are no ulterior motives or reason to hide anything aside from you identity, which you eventually give away anyways, in the relationships formed here. What I'm trying to say is we're a family. People may come and go like they do in life, but when it comes down to it, We're a family, and this is home.

And I love you all.
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
Darthfuel
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:23731640
Twitter Username: Lucas Straubel

Unread post by Darthfuel »

I quitted playing TF2 for .. hmm I don't know 2 years... or maby just one year I don't really know.
But today I joined the Cc server again and some people remembered me, and that was really surprising to me.
And this is why I think this community is so awesome after two years people still know you . :D
Burnerman
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19878267

Unread post by Burnerman »

honestly wish I could leave sometimes, but I've had too many good times at the server even if I'm only there one, maybe two days out of the week
this sounds really fuckin dumb in text form
Lucas Tigy
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:25047848

Unread post by Lucas Tigy »

the people
pcJDAWG
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:36545816
Twitter Username: @pcJDAWG

Unread post by pcJDAWG »

It's the combined awesomeness of the people that are here.
I love playing TF2 with these guys. They're funny, clever and can actually play TF2, and help me become a better player.

Fuck that, it's the funserver that keeps me here.
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

The lack of black people
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Wamp in cC after 2011?
Yeah yeah. Pot. Kettle. Black. Whatever.
Fruitcakes
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29212825

Unread post by Fruitcakes »

I stopped playing regularly about a year ago. Calculated Chaos means a lot to me, because it was practically my first TF2 server that I stayed on. First minecraft server I played on was Zora's (had a blast on that good ol' 1.7.3)

But I don't know. I keep coming back to check up on people. Back in '09 and '10 I was that annoying 14 year old with a squeaky voice. Voice got deeper, and I still never used my god damn mic, you guys scarred me. The same old maps are still playing. It's really great. Most people don't know me, and I'll never be around enough for people to know me, but I still had a great time.