Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

How to un-fuck the fun server

Discuss any problems with the server and make suggestions for improvement.
Celtic
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37669475

How to un-fuck the fun server

Unread post by Celtic »

So one of the main complaints I see is "omg the funserver sucks. I like the main server so much better but it's always empty!" We've had numerous attempts to popularize the main server, which as you can see, haven't worked. For some reason people like the main server sooo much but it's a ton of effort to just switch from the fun server to there.

I would like to propose something for higher admins to think about (which I'm sure most of you would like anyways)- making the fun server more serious. Crazy! I know. Bear with me please as I type out this.
The difference you see between the main server and fun server isn't completely day and night. Its more or less an attitude adjustment of admins. (Most) admins put on their adult pants when we go on the main server and don't act like jack asses. When it comes to the fun server (almost) anything goes. I know a reason is mainly because many fun server admins don't have admin on the main server. Why can't people act mature on the fun server as well? Is it because the word "fun" is in the title instead of "main"? If us (the admins) set a good example, then the people (regular players and non-regulars alike) will surely follow us and create a less toxic and hate filled environment. We all tend to make out the fun server to be worse than it actually is. The people aren't as terrible as we say. If you all like the main server so much then stop complaining about it and be the change. I spent a few hours talking to low admins and regulars alike and they agree that there are several qualities of the fun server they like but would definitely prefer a more serious environment. Some issues we have are people feeling like they are exempt from rules because they are older players or admins. Nobody should be exempt from the rules under any circumstances. People also like to make excuses and be dishonest. This isn't something an admin should be. An admin is someone who is there to uphold the rules.
The general consensus is people don't mind things that don't disrupt gameplay. These things that people don't mind (to some extent) are name changing and sound playing. I know many admins like to use these two features. The reason why they aren't too big of a deal is because they're easily solvable and most admins will tell you how to fix it if you have an issue. They don't directly disrupt you from playing the game. Things people generally hate are: sudden map changing, kicking for killing an admin, random one minute bans and admins punishing the entire server for the actions of individuals (changing to a map like test.) Things that make the gaming experience less enjoyable. People have said they wish the main server didn't just have stock maps but instead had some of the more "serious" maps the fun server has (kakariko, black mesa, iron, etc.) People have said the reverse about the fun server, wishing it had less derpy maps and more maps that are serious instead of things like breakfloor, jump maps and such. The consensus is custom content is good, just quality content is what we should be playing.

We obviously don't want a super serious environment, but I think we can still have a more serious atmosphere than we currently have while still maintaining the current casual server style we have now. We constantly bitch about silly children coming to our servers and how cancerous the fun server is but we have the power to change that. It's like that because of the way WE are and for some reason I think people don't want to accept its everyone's problem. Obviously there are some admins who do their job well and don't really need to read this, but the majority should. I'm hoping for some kind of feedback because I know a bunch of you talked to me on steam about this but it's up to you to come out from your anonymity and actually be a face and post about this.

Some proposed changes-
Change the current way we deal with people who cause problems.

STOP with the admin abuse that disrupts game play. The reason why the server is slowly dying is because the only new player we have coming in are younger kids who think that what we do as admins is cool and want to do it themselves. We could have a better group of newer players if our environment wasn't so hostile.

Be more understanding and not assholes.

Have clearly defined rules that all must follow.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Re: How to un-fuck the fun server

Unread post by Beetle »

I'll support it, but even then, you'd just have people that were being more serious on wackyraces and breakfloor all day which isn't any better in my humble opinion.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Celtic

Unread post by Celtic »

I can see what you mean by that. In regards to when we get on derpy maps like that, I would say "acting serious" would count as not random kicking people, and just generally being a decent human being. When I say serious by no means do I mean competitive and strategy oriented. Serious is more or less something I'm throwing towards the admins.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

I really like the idea, but hardly any of the admins are even on anymore, let alone forum regulars. The forums are fading into obscurity, and even the funserver has had fewer people playing lately.

I don't know how we'll manage to make the necessary transitions, but if you think you can get everyone else to agree to it, I'm 100% behind you. Soundspam and renaming are harmless enough if you tell everyone how to name f and !soundoff beforehand, but kicking and spontaneous map switching is something we don't need to be doing every 2 seconds, and kicking in particular is just plain immature, unless the person is being racist or causing trouble in some genuinely noticeable way.

Anyway, you have my support in this.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

I'm terrible at summarizing wall of texts. But let's be honest here, If you want to fix the server, remove melee checkers. There's your starter.
Serious maps = Serious Gameplay = Serious Admins overall. Dumb logic but-So just remove the stupid maps. And no, I'm not saying we should just remove ALL custom maps. Like jailbreak or iron, Those are basically fine.
I see more dumbasses voting the same maps repetitively than people actually saying "I love the admin abuse, Keep doing shit."
Last edited by Haunwulf on 21 Sep 2012, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic

Unread post by Celtic »

I know a while back I tried to compile a list with others of maps that we all felt needed to go. I wouldn't mind going on the server and making a list of all the maps and seeing what we think needs to stay/go.
Haxwehttam
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19860489

Unread post by Haxwehttam »

some of us should also try to not deafen our players... you know who you are and what things other people do.
TragicRhapsody
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:39334908
Xbox Gamer Tag: TragicRhapsody

Unread post by TragicRhapsody »

I like the funserver in a way that's mostly good with some things I just hate about it. I really like the custom maps, save for a few that just piss me off, and every once in a while I like to go to a valve map.We can go on without some of the plain retarded maps, like background, melee checkers or breakfloor if you really want to, because I think these maps are iconic of what the funserver is. I like melee checkers, I just can't download the map in any way, but going to it 24/7 while not going through the other hundreds of maps is just ridiculous. I'd like a little bit less of the admin stuff that goes on, I usually find myself laughing when we get renamed or they're spamming music, but I hate repetitive kicks and bans.

In all irony and honesty, I hate little kids and they're voices. I, myself a 'little kid' by age standards don't care if they play, just that they don't try and talk sounding incomprehensive and retarded. One last thing is regulars. I play during the day and always have at the last 2+ regulars on. The only exception was one night full of pubbers on iron. I was able to make them shit their pants in awe at the dancing soldier taunt, but I always like another person there to get the inside jokes. Other than that, I'm satisfied in the funserver and don't give a shit about what you do to it, I'm always gonna come back.
I will feed you to the homeless.
NueNueNue
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:30887771

Unread post by NueNueNue »

We really just need to fix the maps we have, Checkers is fine once and awhile cause atleast I can kill things. But jump maps, team trial, and the test are IMO lame and leave worthy. Better maps will result in a better community.
Boots
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

Honestly, I find myself only doing things like soundspam and stuff like that when we're on bad/boring maps. If we're on good custom maps or valve maps I don't use my powers at all. I think that the bad maps are the problem. We should make an official poll for what maps should be put into admins only- that way they can still be played occasionally if the regulars really want to and the admin is nice.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
Celtic

Unread post by Celtic »

So is getting rid of derpy maps and playing on "serious" (serious for funserver standards) the way to go for us to calm down on the admin abusing a bit and making it more new person friendly?
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I think we should at least restrict admins' ability to kick and change maps without calling a vote first.

EDIT: And eliminate votescramble. People keep screwing with that just to hold everyone else up and restart the maps.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

With the way you talk to people you have never met about this you could be a politician.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

_Pipeline wrote:I think we should at least restrict admins' ability to kick without calling a vote first.
u r dum. So if someone's blocking the spawn doors in blackmesa, We're gonna vote kick the person? That buys him about 20 seconds more. And before you know it, The team that isn't stuck in spawn CAPS AAALL THE POINTS.

Here's another example; One main purpose of admins:

Okay so there's a hacker. And it's obvious, he's using crit hacks, micspam, all that crap that typical hackers use on this game. So let's just put up a ban vote. (Also, if you're gonna say you don't want bans restricted to votes, all the admins are obviously gonna resort to that regardless of why). Okay so the ban vote comes up, Hacker notices it, and leaves. Yes, I know that he will still be banned if he comes back. Buuut why would you even put up a ban vote. Just straight out ban him. Knowing the funserver, they're gonna be dumb. I'll call out on csay or something that he's hacking and what he's doing. Others just assume I'm lying or whatever. And no vote it. Hacker wins.

Btw, I remember a minor discussion with Captain (Probably my first one with him too). You were on at the time Celtic. It was when Porygon lost his admin. Although to this day I'm not even sure if HE was the one at fault. Anyways, I suggested to Captain that we should remove the ability to kick @all because you know, that's what got Porygon to lose his admin. I forgot his reason, It was probably whether that he wasn't able to do it or somethin'.

Nevermind the paragraph if it turns out he wasn't able to. Because we can probably have flamin to that crap now that he's here.

TL;DR Your idea fucking sucks.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

As far as the maps go, I don't think mind any of them. It's just the rotation needs to change a hell of a lot more often. There are many fun maps out there that aren't being played, that aren't even on our server.
Celtic

Unread post by Celtic »

spleenter wrote:With the way you talk to people you have never met about this you could be a politician.
I went around on my friends list asking people their opinions on what makes the mainserver>the funserver lol. I would have talked to you as well considering you're a high admin but you weren't online. Your name came up a few times as someone who helps keep up order and make it more srs time.

You can ask Pipeline as well- I talked to regulars on the server that don't have forum accounts and for the most part they agreed with this after I linked them.

Btw, I remember a minor discussion with Captain (Probably my first one with him too). You were on at the time Celtic. It was when Porygon lost his admin. Although to this day I'm not even sure if HE was the one at fault. Anyways, I suggested to Captain that we should remove the ability to kick @all because you know, that's what got Porygon to lose his admin. I forgot his reason, It was probably whether that he wasn't able to do it or somethin'.
I remember this, and I THINK somewhere Captain and a few other admins had a conversation (can't remember if it was on the server or on forums) about restricting /kick @all to higher admins and permabans to higher admins. I don't think he could've done it because of technical limitations.

As far as the maps go, I don't think mind any of them. It's just the rotation needs to change a hell of a lot more often. There are many fun maps out there that aren't being played, that aren't even on our server.
Do you think its possible for there to be a set rotation that is randomized? ie: We choose 50 maps, instead of the whole nominating and map voting thing it just chooses 1 out of 50 randomly. The only way to not go to a random map is if an admin manually does /setnextmap XXX
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

spleenter wrote:With the way you talk to people you have never met about this you could be a politician.
Even if I even remotely wanted to be a politician, which I don't, I would have to invent my own political party just because I hate all of the country's current ones so much. Stop always assuming things about me.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I don't know Celtic, it's just that the ones being voted all the time seem to be on the rotation or at the beginning of the nomination list.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I have a suggestion: Why don't we just
BRING FUNSERVER 09 BACK!

Edit: Oh yeah and this one too.
Last edited by Haunwulf on 25 Sep 2012, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I'm totally up for some drunken karaoke.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

_Pipeline wrote:
Even if I even remotely wanted to be a politician, which I don't, I would have to invent my own political party just because I hate all of the country's current ones so much. Stop always assuming things about me.
i was talking about celtic you dolt
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
BILLY MAYZING!!!
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29952587

Unread post by BILLY MAYZING!!! »

BRING FUNSERVER 09 BACK!
I guess this would be as good a time as any to talk about my idea

Since the main server is dead, I propose we reboot it as "cC classic"

I've talked to a few of the Original cC members about this and most of them support the idea

We bring back some of the best traditions and maps from old cC and more scheduling in general.

For instance on Mondays we can test out new maps suggested here on the forums. (bringing the forums back into the picture) The ones we like enough can be added to the map rotation of the funserver.
We could bring back Nilla nights (old idea of mine to play only stock with no hats or anything like that)
Maybe even randomizer nights (since people always complain when its put on the fun server we can actually plan it and tell everyone ahead of time)

cC classic would have a different admin pool than the fun server (like now but with people who would actually be there most of the time) so flamin doesnt have to be responsible for putting the new maps on the servers or turning on certain server mods.

I tried to talk to Flamin about bringing back some of the old server mods (the presents an shit) but never got a solid response from him so I don't know if we could

I think that's everything... I suck at wording things so if there's anything you don't understand ill try to explain it better.
DRINK OXYCLEAN
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

It sounds like a pretty good idea to me, except I have a strong feeling it just wouldn't last.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

_Pipeline wrote:It sounds like a pretty good idea to me, except I have a strong feeling it just wouldn't last.
It wouldn't last because Flamin is the only one who can unofficially change things (that still plays)
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

BILLY MAYZING!!! wrote:

BRING FUNSERVER 09 BACK!
I guess this would be as good a time as any to talk about my idea

Since the main server is dead, I propose we reboot it as "cC classic"

I've talked to a few of the Original cC members about this and most of them support the idea

We bring back some of the best traditions and maps from old cC and more scheduling in general.

For instance on Mondays we can test out new maps suggested here on the forums. (bringing the forums back into the picture) The ones we like enough can be added to the map rotation of the funserver.
We could bring back Nilla nights (old idea of mine to play only stock with no hats or anything like that)
Maybe even randomizer nights (since people always complain when its put on the fun server we can actually plan it and tell everyone ahead of time)

cC classic would have a different admin pool than the fun server (like now but with people who would actually be there most of the time) so flamin doesnt have to be responsible for putting the new maps on the servers or turning on certain server mods.

I tried to talk to Flamin about bringing back some of the old server mods (the presents an shit) but never got a solid response from him so I don't know if we could

I think that's everything... I suck at wording things so if there's anything you don't understand ill try to explain it better.
Hell yes, I would play on that server non-stop all the time. I only got a small taste of the beautiful old cC because I joined around mid-2010, about the end of that period. It was those things that made me love this community, along with the people of course. Anyways if you need funding, assistance or anything i am willing to do it for this.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
BILLY MAYZING!!!
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29952587

Unread post by BILLY MAYZING!!! »

Beetle wrote:It wouldn't last because Flamin is the only one who can unofficially change things (that still plays)
The point is that we would have a couple more admins that could do this OTHER than flamin. Sorry i thought i made that clear.
DRINK OXYCLEAN
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I'm pretty sure if he wanted that he woulda done it 3 years ago
FlaminSarge
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19100391

Unread post by FlaminSarge »

I need to figure out 'server modes'. That is, configs that swap out map cycles, enabled mods, etc, and then a config scheduler. Then it'd be possible. In the meantime, somebody come up with a 7-day schedule for it, I guess.

<Relevant Necro>
TF2Backpack
I make various SourceMod Plugins for TF2.
Also I fix things. And break things. No complaints.