Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

More Tips!!!

Tips and tricks for playing the Engineer class.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17666999

More Tips!!!

Unread post by Kittylipstikk »

Here are a few more tips....

1. put up a sentry first because there is usually enough metal near by that you can build a dispenser with once the sentry is set up
2. ducking behind your sentry allows you to stay somewhat safe from flying bullets, having your dispenser near you helps as well
3. teles can also help you know when someone is coming. Like a spy, they will destroy it or have to jump over it
4. try not to put a sentry out in plain sight. It is likely to be shot down from farther away.
5. beware of demo men!!! lol they like to sticky your stuff! :(
6. and yes spies too like to stab you from behind as engy so make note of that, watch for them being disguised as a team member.
7. and know that if you are the only engy, you CAN DO IT!!! lol because sometimes it is difficult if you are the only one defending the intel.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Re: More Tips!!!

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Just an opinion, when looking around for metal, I set up my dispenser first because (1) it takes longer to set up, so you're not wasting any time while you go look for metal and (2) you can build your sentry around your dispenser so that it doesn't block your sentry's path and that you can keep it safe. Sentry placement gets easy, but knowing how to set up your dispenser is valuable because the setup time is so long, and the wrong spot can screw up your sentry altogether. However, if you're in the heat of battle, get that sentry up first because support is always needed, plus when battle is near so are dropped weapons (You might not even need to build a dispenser until you have a level 3).

A good technique is to always place your dispenser in a corner or against a wall, and place your sentry on the opposite end of the dispenser to the wall, so that it doesn't get in the way.
RandomGuy
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20316080

Unread post by RandomGuy »

also, you have guns, use them. don't depend only on your sentry and wrench, you shotgun can help teamates and suprise enemies. it can provide covering fire to help a teamate escape. just dont try to kill heavies with it. the best way to kill a heavy is with a lvl3 sentry. otherwise you will have to ninja around it and somehow get 2 critwrenches. ;)
IT IS NO LONGER MONDAY!!!!!! I made all of this btw
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Most classes can strafe around most heavys at close range and take them out before they take you out. Heavys are just too slow.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

I agree with putting up a dispenser and that it is vital. For me I feel that at least a lvl1 SG can do something while you get metal, cuz if they find your dispenser it's gone. It does take a bit to set up so I just throw it up there right after my SG. But hey, whatever works best for someone by all means do it! :D
Not The Author
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16538821

Unread post by Not The Author »

Kittylipstikk wrote: 3. Teles can also help you know when someone is coming. Like a spy, they will destroy it or have to jump over it.
Nope, sorry. Everyone hasta jump over Teleporters. I'm pretty sure...
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Not everyone. And not anymore. Now spies can take teleporters of enemy teams.
Kittylipstikk
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

aw really :( booo! well the other team likes to destroy them, whether they are spies or not, so it can help let you know someone is coming your way.
SmylesE
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3228205

Unread post by SmylesE »

I almost always drop a sentry first. With that said the only time I will never drop a sentry first is when I'm deep in the enemy by myself with no metal supply. Then I'll find a 'hidden' spot for the dispenser first (not the same area as the sentry I want to place). That way If I die and fail the first time I can make it back there with a full dispenser ready for me and a level 2 waiting for them in the amount of time it takes them to spawn.

Also most people tend to under value the power of a simple sentry. Level 1s are good for dealing out a few points of damage and placed in an unexpected location can really stop the other team for a moment giving your team more time to get together or push forward.

Know when to die. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a rocket/nade for my sentry. Normally it goes down like this, I drop a sentry in a corner and as soon as I place it a soldier comes up. I get in between my sentry and the soldier shooting at him while he tries to shoot down my sentry. Then after a few shots the soldier gets a rocket aimed right at my already burning sentry so I jump in front of it. I die. My sentry finishes shoots once and kills the soldier, along with the next two enemy team members that pass by. Sometimes I can make it back before it gets destroyed and get it built up. Sometimes I can't but either way I killed a few of them which buys more time for my team.

Know when to not die. Don't sit there tanking (Tanking is when you have the Sentry + engy + dispenser setup) while a demo 'edge' nades the crap out of your sentry. Get your ass up and shoot him in the face. Soo many times I've seen other engys just take it when they could have killed the demo and gotten metal from his dead corpse to fix or rebuild. Trust me. It works. Don't stand back there unless you need to tank. Walk around and be aware. To the enemy your sentry is more important then you so most will try to take your sentry out without expecting you to come from the side and wrench them in the face.

Also help each other. If your one of a few engys on a point or just on the map and someone already has a sentry going don't place another one! At least not right away. Drop a dispenser and help build up the sentry that is there while the other engy is off getting more metal. Adding to that when you die and see a teammates teleporter on the floor LEVEL IT UP! Take a few seconds while your near your spawn to help your team. Level 3 teleporters can really change a game around.

A good trick to being a good attack engy is to play like a spy. Stay out of the way hidden in the corner and pay attention to when people die (So you know if you will have time to place a sentry or not).

Thats all I've got for now. maybe more later
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Kittylipstikk wrote: 1. put up a sentry first because there is usually enough metal near by that you can build a dispenser with once the sentry is set up
By the time your DISPENSER is up where it needs to be, the round's already started.
Kittylipstikk wrote:3. teles can also help you know when someone is coming. Like a spy, they will destroy it or have to jump over it
...An intelligent spy will get to your base, take the tele since they can do that now, alert thier team of where your stuff is, and THEN attempt to sap it. And even if they fail, you have to be aware that thier team is on thier way. :o Either build your tele AWAY from your stuff, or have a friendly heavy or pyro spy-check for you (Option 1 is better since they won't know where your stuff is immediatly so you still have a chance to bump into and kill them before they get there.)
Kittylipstikk wrote:4. try not to put a sentry out in plain sight. It is likely to be shot down from farther away.
If the enemies just around the corner just put it up somewhere to help your team defend.
Kittylipstikk wrote:6. and yes spies too like to stab you from behind as engy so make note of that, watch for them being disguised as a team member.

This is why you stand on top of your sentry with your back to a wall. Other than those points, your pretty much right.
Life is whatever.