Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Lurnin' 2 Heavy with Guy Montag

Tips and tricks for playing the Heavy class.
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19053068

Lurnin' 2 Heavy with Guy Montag

Unread post by Guy Montag »

inb4 "LOL U SUCK BUT U HAV MILLION MEDICS"

THE HEAVY WEAPONS GUY!

Pros: Awe-inspiring damage at close range, high health, excellent leetle-cart-pusher.

Cons: Painfully slow, large head (fuck you Gabe), large back, tunnel vision.

Natural Prey: Pyro

Natural Predators: Spy, Sniper

WEAPONS COMPARISON!

Sasha vs. Natascha

The minigun: Capable of solving up to two hundred problems per ammo load. Contrary to popular belief, Natascha is actually very good at what it does - kill scouts. Unfortunately, its awful against everything almost everything else with the exception of pyros, and accurate fire from Sasha does almost as good a job at killing those particular types of cowards. Natascha is a situational weapon for a situation that rarely occurs (facing lots of scouts).

Shotgun vs. Sandvich

The shotgun, although an excellent sidearm for other classes, does little to endear itself to massive russian men. Although it hits hard at point-blank range, similar damage can be achieved with the KGB, and you'll be rewarded with crits. Otherwise, its only handy for fighting on the move. This is, however, when the heavy is fundamentally at his weakest, and no choice of weapon can change that. You're often better off stopping and mowing down the offending bad guy with Sasha.

The sandvich, on the other hand, is a handy health boost for those rare moments you can take a lunch break from coward-killing and baby-pwning and can't find a medkit. Keep in mind that a medkit is usually preferable to a sandvich, because you aren't helpless while acquiring one. Overall, I find myself using the sandvich far more often than the shotgun.

Fists vs. KGB

The fists are faster. This can be a surprise for your enemy, but due to the very quick nature of melee fights speed is usually irrelevant. The fists are, however, completely invaluable for taunt kills, which are totally hilarious when successful.

The KGB is very handy in a pinch. A swift meaty plastic-wrapped fist to the face can finish off most enemies in a quick close-quarters skirmish, and give you crits to worry oncoming enemies. I rarely find myself missing the greater speed of the fists. One surprisingly irritating drawback to the KGB is how much of your screen it takes up.

:woop: THE GOLDEN RULE :woop:

YOU ARE INFINITELY BETTER WITH A MEDIC

:) THE LESS IMPORTANT OTHER RULE :)

NOTHING OUTMATCHES YOU AT CLOSE RANGE

CLASS MATCH-UPS
(Assuming you don't have a medic. If you do, you are infinitely better against everything.)

Heavy vs. Heavy

Whoever revs up first or gets crits wins. Despite the large amount of health you both have, heavy vs. heavy tends to be very quick.

Heavy vs. Soldier

Simple. If you aren't close, he wins. Otherwise, you win. UNLESS HE'S FUCKING WARMONGER AND HE CRITS LIKE THE HACKING MOTHE--unless he crits.

Heavy vs. Scout

Surprisingly, range plays a much less important role in this fight. If he's dancing around like the puny little man he is, he's winning because you're having trouble tracking him, and he's hitting you hard with that scattergun. If he doesn't take evasive action, you will win.

If he isn't careful, he'll get too close. In this event, sever his puny spine with a punch. Taunt him over your mic afterwards.

Heavy vs. Pyro

Unless you don't see him coming, you win. Even if he does sneak up on you, there's still a good chance you'll win. If he dances around you, you might lose. Overall, this engagement is favourable for you. If he gets you low with his fire, don't hesitate to each a sandvich.

Heavy vs. Demoman

Keep a good eye on this one-eyed guy. He's only threatening if he manages to pile up stickies around you. Otherwise, keep moving with your stubby legs so he can't peg you with grenades.

Heavy vs. Engineer

Killing the slow 125 health coward is simple, but his coward toys are a different matter. Simply get into a position to shoot at it point-blank without taking any damage. Then, step out and fire right into it. Even with the engie fixing it, one-on-one you'll win. At a long distance, your efforts are futile. The knockback is too much for your ponderous movement.

Heavy vs. Medic

He'll run away. Kill him if you can, but don't worry yourself too much. If he's healing someone other than a heavy and you're close, shoot the guy being healed. This may seem strange, but you can actually kill him really fast even with the extra health. This is especially important with pyros, who are still fragile to Sasha bullets even with healing, but can make a mess of you if you focus on the medic.

Heavy vs. Sniper

Be sneaky. Only show yourself if you have no choice. If there's a sniper watching you, bob up and down erratically. This can work surprisingly well. Go for the melee kill if he isn't looking, because that's funnier. Sometimes if a sniper forces you into cover he'll get cocky and try to come finish you off with a close-range headshot. Ventilate him. With bullets.

Heavy vs. Spy

Unless he's trying to stab you and not running away, shoot him rather than melee. Otherwise, rely on teammates watching your back. Spies are very bad for you, because there's little you can do about them if they don't suck (thankfully, most spies are terrible).
gojulas895
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24981706
Twitter Username: gojulas895
Xbox Gamer Tag: gojulas896

Re: Lurnin' 2 Heavy with Guy Montag

Unread post by gojulas895 »

Definitely an interesting read. I think it's funny that I've only played on the cC server for a total of maybe 2-4 hours and I've already felt Warmonger's wrath...
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Happens to the best of us. And the worst of us.

And, really, the all of us.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Yeah.... No one escapes Warmonger....
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

:c
Yep, so sad, so sad.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

the only one who escapes warmonger is warmonger...and even then its a debatable issue... IMHO (aka blatent lies) warmonger fighting himself would most definately competely obliterate space time...so no one would really know now would they?

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Actually, I have helped Warmonger finish off Warmonger. ONCE.

So it can be done, but it's unlikely.

Guy is completely beatable if he has a jarate in his hands ;) But he is tough to beat as a heavy. I suggest pyro with a strafe attack. Heavies and Sentries aren't too smart or fast or they are both tricked by the 'strafe, circle and flame' AKA: W, A or S + M1 pyro.
Of course that's because they have been conditioned by hoards of W + M1 pyros that are easy to mow down.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

It's true. I only play sniper to douse people in pee. More fun than actually trying to headshot people.

Sadly, my score doesn't reflect my fun.
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

MEDICS AND YOU

Most people approach acquiring a personal healer like that of getting a guard dog - they pick the one that's most skilled/most vicious. Any wise man, however, will tell you to pick the medic/dog that's most loyal/disciplined instead. Why? Because a loyal medic will not abruptly heal someone else, and thus possibly screw you over. They don't have to be good, they just have to keep you healthy.

CARING FOR YOUR MEDIC

Remember, you're far more effective with a german following you around. If shit hits the fan, don't immediately blame him, even if it may be his fault. Pissing him off might make him stop healing you, which is bad.

PROTECTING HERR DOKTOR

When you're poking holes in people with your minigun, you probably aren't paying too much attention to your medic. This is normal. The difficulty of playing medic is to keep your patient alive without you dying. A good medic almost always outlives whoever he's healing. Nonetheless, don't hesitate to bark orders such as "OSHITUBERRUNAWAY" or "Careful, there's a sniper." Above all, staying alive is mostly the medic's responsibility.

UBER VS. KRITZ

Ubercharges are, by nature, meant for big pushes. Big pushes happen on attritional maps such as Warpath and 2fort, where there's lots of sentries eagerly mowing down any non-prepared effort. As a rule, on the offense you'll want ubers.

Defending means fighting a constant flood of bad guys that usually aren't too well protected, because they're more focused on keeping the pressure on you than securing their ability to do so. This translates that you can kritz them a lot cuz they won't have sentries or ubers. Kritzkrieg is for defense.

On maps where both sides are constantly moving such as Badlands and Granary, the kritz is still preferable for the same reasons. It is also fairly easy to destroy the occasional sentry you see on this map with stuff other than ubers, due to the maps being unfriendly to static defense.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Guy Montag wrote:Most people approach acquiring a personal healer like that of getting a guard dog - they pick the one that's most skilled/most vicious. Any wise man, however, will tell you to pick the medic/dog that's most loyal/disciplined instead. Why? Because a loyal medic will not abruptly heal someone else, and thus possibly screw you over. They don't have to be good, they just have to keep you healthy.
A big misunderstanding about medics is that they always need a "healing buddy". I've died from fire damage way too many times from medics that were healing heavies and didn't care if they saw the soldier die, they just wanted their heavy happy. Yes, it's always good to have your own personal medic, but don't get angry when he stops to help out the rest of your team. Who knows? Maybe giving the demo an extra overheal boost is just what your team needed to make the final push and win the game.
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Yes, you're right. A good medic thinks of the team.

However, a medic truly useful to me as a heavy is one that prioritizes me over everyone else.
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

AM A GROOD MEDIC I HEALZ THE MONTAG, hur hur hur.....
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Your team undoubtedly resents you, but yes, you're useful to me.
bluephyr
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5875326

Unread post by bluephyr »

I like to think I'm so random and unpredictable that I'm War's nemesis!
And for God's sake, people, stop putting people up high on altars so much. It makes us lesser people feel so wonderful about ourselves! :roll:

As we can see here... The "medals" symbol next to your name does NOT, in fact, represent dominations. Perhaps dominations in one life? Maybe...

Also, it means I'm a much better heavy than Guy Montag with the help of the beautiful Kittylipstik and Pacifist Pete. :D
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

The medals do mean dominations, the thing at the bottom means how many dominations you've had in total.

I also remember that I like, three seconds later bow'd you in the head an got minen revenges.
DracoZilla
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20181095
Twitter Username: robheisel
Xbox Gamer Tag: Green Soda King

Unread post by DracoZilla »

ineristing
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

As an aside, did you know the firefox browser comes with a built in spell check?
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

GrimGriz wrote:As an aside, did you know the firefox browser comes with a built in spell check?
so does google chrome
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Guy Montag
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE: NATASCHA CHANGES

In the latest patch, TF2 has been fundamentally altered. Now heavies are feared for the fact that they have a weapon that freezes enemies that are hit by it. As such, HERP DERP NATASCHA R TEH BEST

The slowing effect has been buffed to the point where you'll never notice the absence of 25% of your damage. Now go kill some kowards.

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Moving Target
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5973737

Unread post by Moving Target »

I <3 Natascha! The sounds she makes are much more satisfying IMO (yes that sounds wrong), besides the fact that she makes running away much harder on enemies!

but ignoring that little tid-bit... just wanted to add another tip. I call it (because i can, although it is in no way copyright by me) the...

Jump 'n Spin

It's just a little move some people may not know about. Basicaly instead of winding your minigun and slooooowly going around a corner with enemies on the other side, jump and wind in the air as you go around. Your gun will be ready to mow down anyone there once you land! Those tiny cowards won't have time get out of the way, especially with Natascha in hand.

Please note this move sucks against sentries. Try it and you'll find out why.

Learned it from watching someone play as heavy on another server while i was dead. Very helpful move.
You can learn a lot by watching others. It's not the first move i got by watching others. Moving see Moving do...

I quote NO MAN! - me
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

Montag, i agree very much with what you say about watching out for your medic. You do that very well, when im healing you i know that if/when shit hits the fan you'll be the first to tell me to run away. If i, as a medic, know that if i follow you into battle and know we will both die, i will take you as far as i can until i run out of cover, then your on your own. A lone medic is too valuable to run in on suicide missions. However, it is also important for the medic to take care of the rest of the team especially if there is only one medic, which happens a lot to me, please understand that it is impossible for one medic to heal everyone on the team at the same time. Having the only medic on your team be your(or anybody's) medic buddy is both selfish and stupid. The first thing medics must learn to do is prioritize their patients. Based on:

Class
Position on the battlefield (front lines vs. spawn)
A persons skill with that particular class
Amount of health remaining and condition of patient (burning)
And most importantly proximity to the medics location.

There are very few medics on these servers that do this well, from what i've seen hurtMe is a great medic, there are a few others whose names escape me right now.

Also, you will never need to Kritz Warmonger, he will hit his crit rocket button when he needs to.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.