Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Steve's guide to sniping

Tips and tricks for playing the Sniper class.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Steve's guide to sniping

Unread post by steve09 »

I don't snipe an awful lot, but from watching other and through my own experience I can recommend standing in a corner if there is one available. This can help to prevent spies backstabbing you.

Cover can also help as other people have already pointed out. The Kukri is quite effective against a Spy, especially if you have Jarate. Soak them in "pee" and them try a few hits with the Kukri and they'll soon forget about backstabbing you! If you manage to get close enough that is without being taken down by the Spy or another class. Watch out for The Dead Ringer though as this will make it seem as though you've killed the Spy but he has actually taken little damage.

Against Scouts I would also aim for the body as they do move rather fast, I would also not use the scope at close range as you will just get cut down. Jarate them if you wish but Scouts are quite good against Snipers at relatively close range, especially with the pistol.

At full charge your sniper rifle can destroy level 1 engineer buildings, but is also quite good against upgraded versions. If you are a good shot you might be able to headshot the engineer thus helping a Spy on your team to place a sapper on the sentry and any other buildings.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: Steve's guide to sniping

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Standing in a corner doesn't help if the spy can two shot you with the ambassador.
Life is whatever.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

I was kinda trying to keep it short so people would actually read it. People aren't going to want to read something thts so long it takes 10mins to get from the start to finish. Obv the ambassador does a lot of damage, kills you instantly if the spy gets a headshot. Its not possible to include all classes in one guide cos people just won't read it cos it will be too long.
JG215
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: JG215

Unread post by JG215 »

The things you should note, is

A: Never stand still and wait for others, constantly move. And when u see them reloading. Then shoot

B: Dont use your mouse to aim half the time, strafe using A and D while having the sniper dot aimed at their head height.

and C, keep a jarate in your inventory. when you see a spy, throw it at them. Pretty much an instant death call for them.

Other than that, an ok tip thing.
To cool for a signature
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

JG215 wrote:B: Dont use your mouse to aim half the time, strafe using A and D while having the sniper dot aimed at their head height.
thanks for giving away my secret technique. :(
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
Ex-PFC Wintergreen
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20067578

Unread post by Ex-PFC Wintergreen »

Ghost wrote:
JG215 wrote:B: Dont use your mouse to aim half the time, strafe using A and D while having the sniper dot aimed at their head height.
thanks for giving away my secret technique. :(
Screw that ghost your not even that good a sniper. Neither am I though. My trick is just to predict movements and have people walk into my sights. Thank you psychology class! (also it helps in poker)
At least I don't have flies in my eyes.
Ghost
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19046530

Unread post by Ghost »

Lol. but i posted that in my sniper guide. i used to be better. but i stopped playing tf2. and dont play as much so i suck at sniping now
Riftoff wrote:One time after I was playing a lot of Advance Wars, I was eating dinner with my family when i randomly just stopped and waited for everyone else to take their turn, and then I realized eating wasn't turn based.
Minus
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20616057

Unread post by Minus »

My main class is sniper, though i suck at it, I find aiming at head level and moving around isnt the best strategy, and you shouldn't rely on it. you would have to move with A and D until your enemy is directly in your crosshair, which takes far too long. If you do that at least move your mouse side to side to make it so you can get your cross hair to your enemy's head quicker. I just simply learned to quickly move my mouse to the nearest enemy head i see, then shoot...This works better for me. It's your choice which one to use of course, but have in mind moving with the cross hair completely still is extremely slow, despite the efficiency. While if you learn to swerve your mouse to an enemies head, it might be inefficient at first, but you'll get the hang of it, and eventfully it will become just as efficient.