Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Liquid Death's Spy Training

Tips and tricks for playing the Spy class.
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Liquid Death's Spy Training

Unread post by Liquid Death »

1. Uncloak in a concealed area or behind an enemy when there is no one that can see you
2. CONSERVE THE CLOAK
3. Don't use the same disguise repeatedly, or the enemy will easily reconize you.
4.Don't disguise yourself as a class that no one in the opposing team currently is. ex: disgusing yourself as a scout on the defensive team.
5. The revolver is an underestimated weapon, use it to attack from a distance, or attempt to kill an enemy that is chasing you.
6. This one is harder. Kill then sap. The spy switches to the sapper alot faster than to the knife, or most other weapons.
7. When attacking a medic/heavy couple go for the medic first for three reasons. One, the heavy is not likely to notice. Two When the medic sees you attack the heavy he will, most likely, use the needle gun which is lethal, and if the medic has the Blutsauger he can heal himself faster than you can shoot him, and he will kill you
8. Don't try to escape by cloaking when you are burning.
9. The more that the spy is used the more spy-Conscious the enemy becomes, after a while it becomes very difficult to do anything
(any other tips i can come up with i will add later)
Last edited by Liquid Death on 03 Feb 2009, 11:30, edited 2 times in total.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Re: Liquid Death's Spy Training

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

i guess ill just add a few things instead of starting a whole new thread.

9. To avoid the lengthy backstab animation, look away and use your primary attack, before the animation finishes look back and you will backstab them.
10. to backstab incoming scouts, as soon as they are about to pass by you: turn and stab them in the side and it will register as a backstab. to them it will look as if you stabbed them in the face.
Aerogablaze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19303814

Unread post by Aerogablaze »

Same here..dont want to start another Dumb Thread so I'll just plaster some here
1.Find a Spot thats 1. out of sight when an Enemy Stubbles though 2.a Good place to jump onto or even Above where they come out of
2.If there is a way to be on top of your enemy the better..Such as in some Cases where the cp is below you and there is a way up there Alot of Spys Have Harden skills To be know as "Flying Spys"
3. The Flying Stab is Simple...Fall Right behind your enemy so that your stab Turns out to a Backstab...But Even Falling on your Enemy could be good to as long as your looking down and your enemy is looking the other way...
4. If your Enemy is Crouched in the Cornor And you've got a Good enough Cloak you can do two things... 1. Be Bold and Try to Crouch jump onto them and stand on their head to Produce a Backstab or Find a Place to jump onto And to thier Head If there is anything Climbable that is out of sight of the said person use that to jump on..Just cloak if you think they will be able to see you Note If they are Crouching Same set that you must Crouch to Backstab them
5. If your cloak has been broke by someone running into you... jumping backwards and Running in the Oppsite way you where going when your foe and you ran into each other Will make your Escape Efforts Easier Except with Pyros...They seem to find you unless they turn and run back the way they came to find you
6. If you stabbed someone try to cloak/Disguse as fast as you can The B On the keyboard will Place the disgusise you have on last time If you are spotted when stabbing someone run Towards a teamate or a Sentry setup made by your Teamates.. (I've done that countless Times to Save my Hide...)
"-Ahem- Gentlemen? ..."
Team Fortress 2 Hired Spy
I am Spy - Play Free Online Games
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

Helps a lot, thanks.
C:
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Awesomesauce
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17643787
Location: Toronto, Ontario...but mostly where you least expect me.

Unread post by Awesomesauce »

Just an extra, most of the things are already there, Aero made some good points, Stay above at all times if possible, gives alot of flying backstab opportunities.

10.When your cloak is broken, or your just running away while in cloak, try to hide, not run. Run into a corner or behind something and wait until your enemy runs past you. You may even get him with a backstab. ;)
pleasenopouncing
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19595711

Unread post by pleasenopouncing »

Awesomesauce wrote:10.When your cloak is broken, or your just running away while in cloak, try to hide, not run. Run into a corner or behind something and wait until your enemy runs past you. You may even get him with a backstab. ;)
i have learned this from u and most of the time i figure u out. :P
plz dont do what my avatar is doing ty

in l4d plz no pouncing. in tf2 plz no burning.
if u do this i will be very happy but i know it wont happen =(
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Just thought I would stop in and drop some my thoughts. Spy is one of the few classes that you can put a lot of personality into. Here's my some of my strategy.

Minimalist disguises: I usually just disguise as a scout or pyro due to their small hitboxes. Never one of the slower classes.
Don't wait: I never stay in one spot for more than 3 stabs, unless it's around the enemy spawn room.
Cloak trickery: Sometimes I like to cloak right in front of a solly/demo (especially if they have a medic) and watch them panic and shoot around to look for me, not seeing the pyro coming for them, or just waisting their time.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

is say for the most part, the disguise case is just a tool to trick sentries. spies shouldn't be seen at all.

i also learned that when disguised you can fake a reload and you will really look like you are reloading to the other team. if anyone wants to know that doesn't, ask me in game, i don't know how to explain it otherwise lol.
~Katie~
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:7817479

Unread post by ~Katie~ »

hmmm the spy Queen has some thoughts to express:

1. Don't try to go after a class that your disgusied as b/c people behind you can see the differance/ or the class turns and sees you and know its them or not there teamate!( and its just dumb)
2. If haven't yet mastered the kill then sap: i have an alternative, get in front of the sentry and sap it and then just run around it and avoid the enginnner- this is a alternative because the enginner will either chase you and forget the sentry or they'll think they can just wait you out...there sadly mistaken :mrgreen: after about 5 saps it destroies itself!(dont do this when a pyro/demo/heavy is near) Also best used when the sentry is in the open, and makes it easier to play ring-around-the rosey with the engie. :lol:
3. If you are going to play Spy the whole round it will get harder, but there is a trick to throw off your enemies.
a) Try differant stratigies like go for sentries then switch to Snipers for a while until there less Consious of you.
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

And just remember: If people on the other team scream your name into the mic along with a slew of curses, you're doing something right. Keep it up!
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Thursday wrote:And just remember: If people on the other team scream your name into the mic along with a slew of curses, you're doing something right. Keep it up!
I must be doing it very right then. :P
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

Just have something to share

your job as a spy is not to blend in just stay out of sight as much as possible dont run up yelling medic :stupid:
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

Now we can choose what weapons they see us holding :roll: :highFive: :awesome:
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

and back stab is instant now by the way.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
MehPlusRawr
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:21247467

Unread post by MehPlusRawr »

Don't know if anybody said any of these, but here are my tips.

1. A sentry can't see you through a dispenser made by the same guy who made the sentry. (Sorry if that's confusing- What I mean is that if an engy builds a sentry and a dispenser, you can use his dispenser for cover, but not the dispenser of someone else.)

2. You can backstab an engineer that's right next to his sentry and sap it before it shoots you if it's facing away from you.

3. Don't use the Ambassador unless you can get headshots at least 40% of the time- The revolver shoots faster and does more damage than an Ambassador bodyshot.

4. Note that experienced players can hear you uncloak, and even amateur players can hear you uncloak when you use the Dead Ringer.

5. The Dead Ringer is almost useless because any enemy can hear you uncloak with it and know that there's a spy.

6. The Cloak and Dagger is, in my opinion, better than the default cloak.

Which is all I can think of. Tell me if they helped!
When life gives you lemons, throw them out, but then make a witty signature about it like Goose.

And also like me.
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

MehPlusRawr wrote:
1. A sentry can't see you through a dispenser on the same team as said sentry.

2. You can backstab an engineer that's right next to his sentry and sap it before it shoots you if it's facing away from you.

3. Don't use the Ambassador.

4. Don't use the Dead Ringer.

5. Number 4

6. The Default Cloak is better than the Cloak and Dagger.

Heres my tips, using Meh as a quote because its faster.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

MehPlusRawr wrote: 4. Note that experienced players can hear you uncloak, and even amateur players can hear you uncloak when you use the Dead Ringer.

5. The Dead Ringer is almost useless because any enemy can hear you uncloak with it and know that there's a spy.

6. The Cloak and Dagger is, in my opinion, better than the default cloak.

Which is all I can think of. Tell me if they helped!
And my responses.
4. This is why you run AWAY or far BEHIND the enemy as fast as possible.

5. The Dead Ringer is very helpful on maps with extreme sniper/pyro/demo/soldier spam.

6. The Cloak and Dagger is, in my opinion, pro.
Life is whatever.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

MehPlusRawr wrote:4. Note that experienced players can hear you uncloak, and even amateur players can hear you uncloak when you use the Dead Ringer.

these 2 are wrong. If there is a heavy there spamming his minigun, then you could uncloak with him completely unknowing, even with the dead ringer he could barely hear it and wouldn't think anything of it. And the dead ringer is FAR from useless, if you use the dead ringer then you will probably want to run away or behind them, not just instantly uncloak and try to stab them.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
MehPlusRawr

I forgot to mention that the exception was with heavies. =P. This is why heavy is my least-played class.
When life gives you lemons, throw them out, but then make a witty signature about it like Goose.

And also like me.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

MehPlusRawr wrote:I forgot to mention that the exception was with heavies. =P. This is why heavy is my least-played class.
my reason is because my mouse messes up when I hold down the fire button for too long
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
MehPlusRawr

It's for the best.

And also like me.