Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Aero's Blazing School

Tips and tricks for playing the Pyro class.
Aerogablaze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19303814

Aero's Blazing School

Unread post by Aerogablaze »

Random tips that have seemed to help me in the Past...
1. USE THE SHOTGUN the Flaregun may be cool and All...But If your stuck with a pyro that HAS His shotgun and is 50 meters away with a Big Gourge in the middle of you...Whos goona win?..
2. You Come out of your Base Feeling good...When a heavy/medic combo come around the cornor..DONT Flip out and go All Dead Face and burning them...Give them a Good Burn for a sec then Run Back the way you came the heavy wont take much But the medic Should burn and take a bit form the fire if they are close...Find a Hiding spot and wait for them to run past..if the heavy doesn't see you wait for his medic...Burn the said medic Before long the medic should die and the heavy Scratching his head about his dead Friend as you run Away..
3. The Backburner Is NOT that Useful anymore...Before When the Crit Range of it was large YES it was But now with its Ranged Like 1/10 Form before it has only helped in some Cases Use the Plain Flamethorwer..As the Airblast Will help you more then the Crits..
4. If Lucky you can bounce most Things firing at You using the Airblast
5. AVOID...ALL...WATER....FIGHTS You dont want to be Caught down there without your Shotgun or Your Plain Axe
6. Most and Formost If an Enige on your Side is yelling Spy sapping my Sentry...What Should YOU the Flamethorwing sun of a Gun do?...Run in there Spary the Whole god Damn Place and Help him out Is what you should do! D:<
"-Ahem- Gentlemen? ..."
Team Fortress 2 Hired Spy
I am Spy - Play Free Online Games
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Re: Aero's Blazing School

Unread post by Sastora »

C:
Thanks, I like being a pyro.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I find it odd that people need a pyro guide. All people needed to tell me was "left click and random intervals".
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

i guess there could be some advanced things to know as a pyro, but here's my basic guide.

follow these 3 steps:
1. hide and wait
2. jump out for an ambush when someone comes by.
3. W + MOUSE1 FTW!!!!
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

People say that there is nothing good to come from a guide but there is a big difference between an nub pyro and an experianced pyro (Plastic Jesus comes to mind).
Wamp Rats
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22049012

Unread post by Wamp Rats »

Ambushing is a huge part of the pyro
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

Always remember the reflecting power. It's not something you'll use a bunch in the beginning, but once you get better at the game it's invaluable. Protip: reflect rockets from a soldier into the medic healing the soldier. It's pretty awesome.

Also, don't freak if a crit is heading for you! It can be reflected, just like anything else.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

** above all, KILL THE MEDICS FIRST!

** SPYCHECK often! no, its not a waste of ammo. it helps keep your teammates alive and constructables up and running.
if you are offensively moving into an area, make sure you check corners and other hidey-holes as you move for spies. this prevents the slower moving and support classes from getting shanked by disguised spies moving in behind you. checking your six doesnt take very long.

** DEFEND your engies! engies have a hard time constructing if there is a spy taking out every constructable with sappers.

** to catch spies...
[A] keep your EYES OPEN! watch for smoke, color phasing as they change disguises, or player names in the wrong class.
watch for strange behavior!
-- attemtps to flank (especially true when the spy is after a medic or heavy)
-- offensive classes hanging around defensive or support players or constructables.
-- players standing around doing nothing.
[C] if in doubt, spycheck!

** widespread PANIC! ambushing an offensive group and lighting them all up will easily break the the offensive teams attack AND soften them up for the rest of your team.

** the pyro is an OFFENSIVE class! but with a sadly short primary weapons range. if you are going in alone (or as a group for that matter), EXPECT to not live! forget your kill:death ratio and inflict as much harm as you can. i typically target support players and constructables.

** REFUEL often! as the in game tip says, you chew through a lot of ammo, you eat alot of HP as well. get to know maps, and where the spawnable life/ammo points are.

** when fighting certain classes...
pyro vs. pyro: you are not as effective against other pyros becuse of the flame resistant suit. avoid enemy pyros unless you can attack at range with your shotgun, or effectively ambush.
pyro vs. heavy: circle them! if you have a fairly high sensitivity on your mouse, you should be able to do some fairly significant damage or kill a heavy before possibly expiring yourself.
pyro vs. scout: they have to get in close for the scattergun to be truly effective, and will usually try to use speed to circle you. the pyro is a fairly quick class, and you should be able to catch them as they try the flank and stay with them. again, this may require a higher mouse sensitivity.
pyro vs. soldier: as mentioned elsewhere, use the air blast to defend yourself from ranged attacks. when up close, try flanking or circling. if they choose to use the rocket launcher while up close, just hope that they will take themselves out too!
Awesomesauce
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17643787
Location: Toronto, Ontario...but mostly where you least expect me.

Unread post by Awesomesauce »

forget your kill:death ratio
Hehe, this is important. My kill death ratio is usually horrible and i still get to the top of the list.

Also, when you are going pyro v.s. pyro, let the other pyro come to you while you are flaming him. Don,t go head to head with each other, trick the other pyro and run away while flaming him. This way, you go through barely any harm, and the enemy pyro is taking all the damage.

And if you see a flaming pyro, kill it, pyro's don't burn.
Surnem
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21134355

Unread post by Surnem »

Not much of a universal tip, but an nice little trick.

If someone is cornered (hiding spies), standing still (snipers), or slow moving (soldier, heavy, scout after drinking) and you have the normal flamethrower you can use this. This doesn't on other pyros. Click m1 briefly then m2. As they move through the air in front of you, run forward and quickly pull out your axtinguisher and swing before they land. If you hit, it will kill any class not overhealed except Heavies and of course pyros, and it can kill these classes while overhealed: Scout, Engi, Sniper, and Spy.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Surnem wrote:Not much of a universal tip, but an nice little trick.

If someone is cornered (hiding spies), standing still (snipers), or slow moving (soldier, heavy, scout after drinking) and you have the normal flamethrower you can use this. This doesn't on other pyros. Click m1 briefly then m2. As they move through the air in front of you, run forward and quickly pull out your axtinguisher and swing before they land. If you hit, it will kill any class not overhealed except Heavies and of course pyros, and it can kill these classes while overhealed: Scout, Engi, Sniper, and Spy.
Then explain how I got a crit axestinguisher on an enemy pyro. NOW. Crit with axestinguisher is compleatly reliant on the enemy being on fire.
Also, I'm pretty sure the formula you're thinking about is flame, airblast, dead. I do it so often I can do it under 3 secs.
Life is whatever.
GrimGriz
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:1386928

Unread post by GrimGriz »

If you go anywhere near a friendly engie and gear:
If you go near a corner:
If you're running down a long hallway:
If you're anywhere near your own team:

SPRAY FIRE!
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

GrimGriz wrote:If you go anywhere near a friendly engie and gear:
If you go near a corner:
If you're running down a long hallway:
If you're anywhere near your own team:

SPRAY FIRE!
W+M1=Fail. W+M1+M2+3+M1+WIN.
Life is whatever.
thedoghouse
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20693788

Unread post by thedoghouse »

PhrozenFlame wrote:

Then explain how I got a crit axestinguisher on an enemy pyro. NOW. Crit with axestinguisher is compleatly reliant on the enemy being on fire.
Also, I'm pretty sure the formula you're thinking about is flame, airblast, dead. I do it so often I can do it under 3 secs.
you got a crit axestinguisher on an enemy pyro because A. the enemy pyro was actually a spy or B. another pyro was burning the same pyro you axetinguished
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

thedoghouse wrote:
PhrozenFlame wrote:

you got a crit axestinguisher on an enemy pyro because A. the enemy pyro was actually a spy or B. another pyro was burning the same pyro you axetinguished
A:He was flaming me. B: It was one on one. So hte correct awnser was C: Valve's horrible hit detection. Since there was an on fire soldier right next to him.
Life is whatever.
Panzershreik

Unread post by Panzershreik »

I noticed that no one else put this in the topic - at least not on the first page - but another reason to stick with the original flamethrower, is so that you can keep your teammates from staying on fire. Just airblast them.

Panzershreik