Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Old and New Demo weapon tips and tricks

Tips and tricks for playing the Demoman class.
Moving Target
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:5973737

Old and New Demo weapon tips and tricks

Unread post by Moving Target »

Some of these may be repeated, but I figured i could share what I've discovered for the demo.

Grenade Launcher : First off this weapon is more for medium range and suppression than anything. I see a lot of people running into a crowd with it and blowing themselves up. Not good, unless you've got the Targe equipped.
Also, you don't necessarily need to HIT your enemy to hurt him. Is he running? shoot at his means of escape a couple times before targeting him. Also good for checking corners. Shoot one and if you hear an OW from behind the wall or stickies go flying, you'll know a someone or something is behind there.

Sticky Launcher (original) : Great for offense and retreating. A lot has already been said about this one, sticky jumping, sentry killing, etc., but it's actually surprisingly good for close range. If some is charging towards you with their melee (non-demo charging) Than lay a sticky at your feet while running back and detonate as soon as they're over it. Sometimes they'll be knocked into the air and other times they'll die or switch to their other weapons, in which case switch to your Grenade Launcher or continue to detonate stickies on them. Air detonations work well too as your enemy won't have much time to dodge them. Don't forget the charging ability too if they're too far away.
Also try to knock a medic away with these if they Uber. If you time it right the medic will hit nothing but air for the next few seconds leaving the other guy vulnerable.
Defence wise, use it to cover an entrance/exit or to cover a sentry from spy attacks and/or knock stickies away. It's a one shot deal though, since it takes so long to place another bunch so detonate wisely.

Scottish Resistance : It's much the same as the regular one, but its less effective for taking out sentries and close range combat, but just by a bit. I recommend using this one rather than the original if only because you can cover two things at once WHILE using it against enemies. It's also much better at defending important sentries. Not only are spies insta-gibbed by a small cluster of them but it will destroy any stickies around the sentry if you detonate them. Save your team a lot of pain and you can do this still while having another 10 or so stickies covering other places.

Eyelander and Chargen Targe: Really has no use for team work besides being effective at killing. One shouldn't be used without the other. Because of the health drop you get from the sword, you're gonna need all the defence you can get if you even want a chance at the 2 heads that will put you above 175 hp. It also has no crits without the shield, remember that.
The shield has no real use besides a free melee crit and small speed boost (talking distance, not actual speed). It can be useful without the sword if only for a melee kill, quick retreat or big defence boost, but it just doesn't feel right to use it without the sword. Not to mention the sticky launcher slot is used. Makes you all offense and little defence, but you gain very little offense in the first place with it.

That's most of what I've discovered or feel about the weapons. Fell free to correct, debate or add onto these.

I quote NO MAN! - me
Mr.Pain
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:25347453

Re: Old and New Demo weapon tips and tricks

Unread post by Mr.Pain »

Great description but to correct on the Scottish resistance, it is mainly used to spawn camp and to pretty much spam even more stickies all over and to wait for prey to come :roll:
Moving Target

Lol, depends on who's using it and where. When there's really no point to a map (Harbl Hotel for example) yeah, that's what its for lol. You're still covering enemy advancement though (or spawning :P). I basically described it as a door closer.

Also, spamming em all over the place is a bad idea since the ones that are close automatically detonate :P I've blown myself up more than once forgetting they did that.

I quote NO MAN! - me
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

They also do more damage per bomb apparently. I did bestinclass's demo course using one for each jump.
Life is whatever.
Moving Target

It would have to be tested, but I'm pretty sure they do similar if not exactly the same damage. Maybe you were just jumping at different angles since you need to be almost directly on top of them to jump without looking at them.

I quote NO MAN! - me
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Unread post by Divine Fate »

PhrozenFlame wrote:They also do more damage per bomb apparently. I did bestinclass's demo course using one for each jump.
Maybe you're thinking of pre-update a very long time ago. They changed the demojumps so that 1 new sticky = 1.5 stickies and 2 stickies = 3 stickies. Both work the same exact way. They did that so that you can properly demojump without having to lay 2 stickies or kill your own HP.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

If "Very long time ago" is pre-demo update, sure.
Life is whatever.