Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

ctf_ksar [editted: 9/9] new version b1 for download

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

ctf_ksar [editted: 9/9] new version b1 for download

Unread post by Beetle »

This is an avanti-style map and will need a lot of tuning before its fair (probably).

Changelog (b1): DOWNLOAD: ctf_ksar_b1
-Took out some ammo packs/health packs at cap A to give Blu more of a fighting chance
-Added a "sewer route" at cap A that ends in the building in front of the starting gates
-Made the unfinished wall on top of the first building whole.... to lower camping of the main entrance
-All 'cap bases' change to blue when capped now
-Added forward spawns, equipped with supply lockers and func_respawnrooms, for Blu
-Added supply lockers/respawnrooms for Red while being pushed back that deactivate when certain caps are made
-Added a L-formation of boxes in the middle of the Cap D area to close down some paths.

Changelog (a2)(old):
-Gave labels to the HUD icons (A,B,C,D)
-Not all HUD icons appear locked now
-Gave labels to print messages when caps are made ( "Capture Point A Secured")
-Made the window in the yellow building bigger
-added another sg spot/window in the red building
-added another path to cap C
-Made cap C easy to "Line of Sight" people

More Pictures of Ksar here!

Please comment about what needs to be changed when you play it! Thanks :barf:
Last edited by Beetle on 09 Sep 2009, 08:28, edited 8 times in total.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
peter.steinke
Xbox Gamer Tag: mefeman

Re: ctf_ksar

Unread post by peter.steinke »

I really like the style.. im looking forward to playing it
a place where people get drunk and drink vinegar to get rid of the smell.

a place where teams divide into Canadians vs Non-Canadians.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ made me laugh ^

CANADA
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

your going to need more light. it will be hard to pick out who is on what team in darkness.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Looks nice so far. I agree, more light, it is a full moon after all ;)

You can also use tons of worklights since it's a dig.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Yep. Those shots are with no added light, but many worklights to come!
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

The moon... IT'S FLAT! :o
Life is whatever.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

So actually its not as dark as it looks. It'd be barely annoyingly too dark if i left it as it is, which I'm not going to.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Yeah, the first two screenshots wouldn't be so bad but in that last one you wouldn't be able to tell what color the scout is.

It definately isn't way too dark, just a little.

Anyway, it looks nice. I look forward to trying it.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Here's a 'clean' version of ksar.
It won't look like the town is a year old when I'm done.
Also many more props and things will be added, but right now I think its in serious need of play-testing because of the layout/respawn times etc.

My goal is to make this map a simple, easy to understand, fun map...hopefully quick rounds too.

DOWNLOAD LINK
^
B1 link
pics later.
Last edited by Beetle on 09 Sep 2009, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Well, I was pretty tired and about ready to leave when I saw your map was coming up so I stuck around. Wish we would've rocked the vote a little sooner, I only made it aways into the first round before I left.

Overall I think it seemed pretty good and a decent layout.

Not too many specific comments because like I said, tired and short playtime...

Generally I think the scale could be taken down a bit. I know you said you'r gonna fill stuff in some but still I think it would take alot of filler to help the size issues. Like if you put a stack of crates for cover, they're just gonna be dwarfed and seem really small.

Like the stairs on either side of A, I felt like those could be half as wide. (That's easy 'cause the big wall on far side of A could just be dragged in)

I was looking a dustbowl pretty good the other day in Hammer and none of the paths are much wider than 320 units and the chokepoint areas are about 128.
Alot of medium areas are about 256 untis wide.
Not too many sight lines were 2048 units, most are only about 1024.

I think for the most part leave the pathways as is, just bring in walls and tighten them up. More corners and things to hide behind.
The window in yellow building should be a little taller, you really have to nail it just right to get through, after about 4 tries I finally got it then a rocket hit me in the back as I jumped out.

It also seemed like red could jump down from about anywhere, so Blu not only has to push but most of Red comes from behind. So we're trying to push into heavys and sentries and soldiers keep jumping down behind us from 3 different spots. But no ways I found for blu to flank red.

A was just too open, and too much uphill push I think. We got the flag there, I don't know if anyone every got it again and took it to B, but they had several sentries, a dispense, a heavy... All I could do as spy was sap and die.

Maybe some passage ways through brick area, something tight for classes like pyros. Soldiers seems to be having a hayday with the openess.

Looking foward to some actual gametime though.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Thanks. I really appreciate people who make specific comments.
I kind of knew it was going to be too open, but I figured I'd try it.

We need to play it some when its more than just 6v6 and all the 'good' players aren't on the same team.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Re: ctf_ksar [editted: 9/5]

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

the 3rd cp should instead of another path around maybe have ramps up on the other side of the wall so the attackers can get over the wall to maybe have an advantage and a good sniping point.

the last cp should have a big cylinder type thing in the middle that closes alot of the map and have the cp back in the corner sorta next to the spawn.

pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: ctf_ksar [editted: 9/5]

Unread post by Beetle »

Thanks, Agent_. Most of those ideas are currently in the next version I am going to try out.
Now I just have to work on CP D before I try out the new version.

UPDATED PICS AT THE TOP ^
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Re: ctf_ksar [editted: 9/9] new version b1 for download

Unread post by Beetle »

New version. Please add to the server when you can!
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

I'll add it when I get home tonight.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Thought it was much better last night.

We capped once I think. D is better being more closed in, but that middle wood thing was pretty tight and hard to get around on. I tried to sap Grims Sentry several times but I would step back once, hit a wall and he'd hit me with his wrench or a medic came behind me and blocked me.
Just way too tight to move around on.

Still having a hard time getting through window on yellow building. Guess I suck at crouch jumping.
And the area around the corner from that seems too 'hidden' imo. Maybe that window should be a door with a balcony instead of board? I don't know.

I still think you need a small tunnel pathway from spawn to over by A. Maybe only one way, or closed at first and once A is capped it opens. Then blu can spawn, jump out by A instead of having to fight to cap, then fight the same area again to get the flag again.

I didn't notice any major changes (other than D) so I can't comment on how they effected anything.

It seemed like everyone was alot more familiar/comfortable this game then the last I played, so I think that gives a better indication of how things will be.
The fist time I thought getting out of blu spawn was impossible, now I think it's still difficult but it can be done.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Original wrote:Thought it was much better last night.

We capped once I think. D is better being more closed in, but that middle wood thing was pretty tight and hard to get around on. I tried to sap Grims Sentry several times but I would step back once, hit a wall and he'd hit me with his wrench or a medic came behind me and blocked me.
Just way too tight to move around on.

Still having a hard time getting through window on yellow building. Guess I suck at crouch jumping.
And the area around the corner from that seems too 'hidden' imo. Maybe that window should be a door with a balcony instead of board? I don't know.

I still think you need a small tunnel pathway from spawn to over by A. Maybe only one way, or closed at first and once A is capped it opens. Then blu can spawn, jump out by A instead of having to fight to cap, then fight the same area again to get the flag again.

I didn't notice any major changes (other than D) so I can't comment on how they effected anything.

It seemed like everyone was alot more familiar/comfortable this game then the last I played, so I think that gives a better indication of how things will be.
The fist time I thought getting out of blu spawn was impossible, now I think it's still difficult but it can be done.
Thanks for the reply. I added a path that practically goes into A (or the building beside A). Did you not notice that?
The window in the yellow building would be a door if I made it any better :P. In fact, I've fully cleared it and ended up falling off at this point, so I don't think I'm going to change that.

As for the openness of A, do you think that is a problem, maybe that being why its so easy to defend?