Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

cC's Choice

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Re: cC's Choice

Unread post by Beetle »

Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
BILLY MAYZING!!!
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29952587

Unread post by BILLY MAYZING!!! »

That is a hippo Sir
DRINK OXYCLEAN
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

Close enough.
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

but seriously, a tower map with an actual goal would be nice, i have not seen one that dosent require excessive jumping for the team on the lower part or is not harbl. one nice idea could be a map using elevators for the different levels and stairs too, and these elevators could only go to a few floors and not all of them. also some way to prevent the team on the top from jumping down and bypassing all of this would be effective, and much, much larger than harbl
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

BILLY MAYZING!!! wrote:That is a hippo Sir
lol. I really thought I remembered him saying hippo. oh well, not hard to fix. but that textureturned out really well.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

tomm wrote:but seriously, a tower map with an actual goal would be nice, i have not seen one that dosent require excessive jumping for the team on the lower part or is not harbl.
That's cuz vertical maps are hella difficult to balance in favor of the lower team.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

You could always have the map permanently flooded. No more jumping for us.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

Haunwulf wrote:You could always have the map permanently flooded. No more jumping for us.
Scrambles
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:41717517

Unread post by Scrambles »

how about a tower map with capture points on each floor and each floor has some sort of design which ensures each defensive/support class the advantage.
So it's not like you can just rush the point and cap it, you have to approach it strategically to avoid each class-based advantage or eliminate the class with the upper hand

for example, if it were a floor with the advantage towards demoman, then the capture point would be in an area susceptible to demospam, like a close-quarters area, and the only way to eliminate the demospam would be infiltrate enemy lines as a spy, excessive airblast, demolish the demos with an uber-heavy, short circuit engie, etc.

and then maybe each floor could be a territory in a TC map or something. I'm not sure I'm the greatest when it comes to suggestions, especially because TC is terrible
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I refuse to do a TC map. ;)
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

hmm, instead of stairs, an elevator only system would be cool, or teleports.
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
LaN
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:26075035

Unread post by LaN »

tomm wrote:hmm, instead of stairs, an elevator only system would be cool, or teleports.
Teleports can be easily spawn camped
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

LaN wrote:
tomm wrote:hmm, instead of stairs, an elevator only system would be cool, or teleports.
Teleports can be easily spawn camped
not really. especially if you make it teleport into a brush that pushes you into a team-based room
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I got an idea, it's probably stupid.

So we have a cC arcade map. There's this building like the old-school arcades. Pressing use on an arcade game transports you into that game. it could include things like duckhunt, minecraft, mario, megaman, etc. and just for fun, add a cp in each one.
Scrambles

that's actually a pretty good idea

the only thing is that we already have minecraft and mario maps, so we could find other games, but if it requires multiple cap points at once, then you'd need a lot of people playing. Not to mention how many people would get lost with the warps
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

Well, that sounds like a great idea, Beetle. I think there should also be an admin control panel that can warp everyone into one arcade game, although with teams on opposite sides so that they don't get stuck inside each other of course.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Scrambles wrote:that's actually a pretty good idea

the only thing is that we already have minecraft and mario maps, so we could find other games, but if it requires multiple cap points at once, then you'd need a lot of people playing. Not to mention how many people would get lost with the warps
to krubby as well as scrambles, I wouldn't make the teams' teleports go to the same places exactly. I also would try to implement some sort of objective other than cp if I decided not to do cp. like duckhunt would be pretty easy. and mario would probably be some sort of short race to the end of the level through pipes or something.

also i'm just using mario as an example since everyone knows him. I don't want to do some obscure game that only Kerplunkers or Riftoff would get.
LaN
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:26075035

Unread post by LaN »

You could try using the same method as cp_bestinclass
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

LaN wrote:You could try using the same method as cp_bestinclass
I think I would...though it wouldn't just be doors, of course.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Yeah, best in class only for different vidya gaems. That would be great.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
TheMageKing
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:34143080

Unread post by TheMageKing »

But no class gimmicks. Those are BAD. Make the gimmicks more general, or thematic.

F'r instance, Mario relies on jumping around like a loon. But you coul sticky or rocket jump around too.

Duck hunt requires accurate hits on the dog- sniper rifle, pistol, or any other hitscan would work.

Ect, ect.
Scrambles

so how many games are going to be used. Going with Beetle's idea of arcade games, I know Mario and Duck Hunt are up, but Minecraft isn't exactly an arcade game. And think about this, a lot of people playing this will be on the funserver. A lot of people on the fun server are young. Do you expect these young'ns to know that arcade games existed before the magical time of the console?
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Scrambles wrote:so how many games are going to be used. Going with Beetle's idea of arcade games, I know Mario and Duck Hunt are up, but Minecraft isn't exactly an arcade game. And think about this, a lot of people playing this will be on the funserver. A lot of people on the fun server are young. Do you expect these young'ns to know that arcade games existed before the magical time of the console?
if minecraft existed in the time of arcades, it probably would be an arcade game. It doesn't strictly have to be arcade games persay. I think everyone would get the point. As for them not getting it, well, copying games of today's standards is too difficult. I almost have to stick with the older ones.

(though I think the pacman tf2 map is boring, so I probably won't include pacman)

also, you would hit the ducks in duckhunt, not the dog. The dog just laughs at you. and it own't be able to distinguish between hitscan and projectiles.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

But in this mode you should be able to shoot the dog. :P
Scrambles

if you're going with duck hunt realistically, you could give the shooter a reserve shooter with only 1 clip's worth of ammo. Of course then only one shooter would be able to go at a time. If you really wanted to, you could try to make it so one person goes at a time and both shooters die after the dog appears. Then, say there's only 3 rounds, whichever team racks up the most hits within those 3 rounds gains the cap point or something. This would probably assure that each team be on constant defense/offense of that point, similar to cp_bestinclass
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Scrambles wrote:if you're going with duck hunt realistically, you could give the shooter a reserve shooter with only 1 clip's worth of ammo. Of course then only one shooter would be able to go at a time. If you really wanted to, you could try to make it so one person goes at a time and both shooters die after the dog appears. Then, say there's only 3 rounds, whichever team racks up the most hits within those 3 rounds gains the cap point or something. This would probably assure that each team be on constant defense/offense of that point, similar to cp_bestinclass
maps can't give specific weapons to non-classes of that weapon - that's plugins. Plus, I don't like the idea of stripping weapons. They break on every update that has a new weapon since it's not official.
Scrambles

Beetle wrote:
Scrambles wrote:if you're going with duck hunt realistically, you could give the shooter a reserve shooter with only 1 clip's worth of ammo. Of course then only one shooter would be able to go at a time. If you really wanted to, you could try to make it so one person goes at a time and both shooters die after the dog appears. Then, say there's only 3 rounds, whichever team racks up the most hits within those 3 rounds gains the cap point or something. This would probably assure that each team be on constant defense/offense of that point, similar to cp_bestinclass
maps can't give specific weapons to non-classes of that weapon - that's plugins. Plus, I don't like the idea of stripping weapons. They break on every update that has a new weapon since it's not official.
Well I was thinking of the general idea of something common among multiple classes, doesn't have to be reserve shooter, could be shotgun. But that second part... sheeeeeeit.........
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I've actually been talking to the owner of another server and came up with yet another idea. Sticking with the arcade style, I'd base it off an old tfc map I rembmer called fishinabarrel. BLU were all snipers, and RED had to run across 3 different themed courses to get safely to the other side without being sniped. The first one was a city, the second one was a boot camp, and the third was some weird bridge type thing. It's like a gallery shooter.
krubby

Unread post by krubby »

Ooh, NICE! I want. I suppose we could make it so that people can be any class, not just snipers if someone prefers wrangler or direct hit. I dunno.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

krubby wrote:Ooh, NICE! I want. I suppose we could make it so that people can be any class, not just snipers if someone prefers wrangler or direct hit. I dunno.
I don't think I'd allow wranglers. that just sounds annoying.