Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Melee Fort: Dead?

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
the asylum
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17799965

Melee Fort: Dead?

Unread post by the asylum »

Friends, this may be the end of Melee Fort as we know it.

Recall if you can the builds prior to A7. The single most important change that A7 introduced were the resupply lockers, cleverly tucked away behind walls so that no unathorized weapon would dare enter the sight of an opposing player. Cloak and Dagger Spies and Caber Demos were no longer forced to quickly change classes for their cloaks to recharge or Cabers to be restored, and thus extending potential record-breaking kill streaks. And I was so happy. As I've said many times before, though my funmaps may be worthless shit sometimes, I always strive for them to look as good and play as good as official Valve maps, deviating as little as possible from established convention. The resupply lockers were a long time coming, and finally, with the release of A7, to me at least, it felt like all the pieces had come together at last. That may be about to change.

A serious exploit has been brought to my attention, and unlike so many other problems in Melee Fort's long and sordid history, I can't simply wave the magic wand of weapon stripping to make it go away. That last piece of the puzzle is now it's undoing. And no, I'm not telling you how to do it.

I am now faced with a dilemma. I have three options at this point:

1. Eliminate the resupply lockers, and screw over CnD Spies and Caber Demos.
2. Force everything to run on Medieval Mode, and sacrifice the weapons shed gimmick that I love so, so dearly.
3. Package Melee Fort and it's future releases with a plugin.

Well the third one's not so bad, right? True, it would fix all my problems. But, and I have said this too many times, requiring admins to install more plugins is a hassle I never want to impose on them. It's my philosophy- no, my duty, as a mapmaker that the shit I make works, period.

Neither of these options are really palatable to me, but one must be chosen if Melee Fort is to survive.

This bears repeating:

VALVE, Y U NO LIKE MELEE FORT
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: Melee Fort: Dead?

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

1, because no one cares about CnD spies or caber demos, and anyone who says they do is lying. Also, sprees mean next to nothing.
Life is whatever.
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Re: Melee Fort: Dead?

Unread post by krubby »

4. Play a different map.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG