Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Breakfloor - Melee style.

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
heavyblood

Breakfloor - Melee style.

Unread post by heavyblood »

I think someone should make breakfloor melee style. :) This tutorial helps i think http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/4650
I would do it, but I dont have permission.
Anonyma
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17574613

Re: Breakfloor - Melee style.

Unread post by Anonyma »

Mapping isn't an academic society, there is not much fighting against plagiarism, and there is a protection system you can add to maps through VMEX for those who would hide their maps from those who would modify them,

and I personally have copied from other maps myself (as you can tell by my last map :zoidberg: )

I would be most flattered if someone took my original maps, made a change or made them better.

But if you plan to post it on a major site such as FPSBANANA, the best you could do is credit the original map maker, but don't stress too much over these things, the source community is a forgiving place.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

Anonyma wrote:Mapping isn't an academic society, there is not much fighting against plagiarism, and there is a protection system you can add to maps through VMEX for those who would hide their maps from those who would modify them,

and I personally have copied from other maps myself (as you can tell by my last map :zoidberg: )

I would be most flattered if someone took my original maps, made a change or made them better.

But if you plan to post it on a major site such as FPSBANANA, the best you could do is credit the original map maker, but don't stress too much over these things, the source community is a forgiving place.
There is not much fighting against it because there really is no way to. That doesn't mean that people appreciate the stealing of their maps. Asking permission is preferred, but since no one will stop you otherwise its ok (?)
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Anonyma
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17574613

Unread post by Anonyma »

I understand what you mean, but sometimes you are unable to contact the original mapper as he or she has left the community for years, or a variety of reasons. I'm just suggesting not to stress over the issue too badly, and if worst comes to worst you could always give credit for original mapper, or remove the map from websites if you are requested to by the original mapper.

I was asked once to shut down a full project on a major zm map I once worked on by the mapper who I inspired my work from, and I complied without failure.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

The distinction is simple. Ideas cannot be copyrighted even in the real world. So, if he were to make a melee checkers of his own without, say, decompiling the other one and using parts from it - that would be fine.

The problem I have with this kind of thing is when people are too lazy to do it themselves and just copy and paste other people's work.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.