Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Tell me to do stuff for the next Melee Fort release

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
the asylum
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17799965

Tell me to do stuff for the next Melee Fort release

Unread post by the asylum »

I'm already working on the hallways of the forts so in CTF Melee Fort it's a longer trip, so you've got a better chance at intercepting the intel stealer. Other than that though that's the only major gripe I've had so far about the A5 builds.

If you want something included/removed/whatever in the A6 build, now's the time to tell me. I don't wanna be caught with my pants down on the next update like I was this time.
Last edited by the asylum on 05 Mar 2011, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
the asylum

Re: Fixin' for Melee Fort A6, tell me to do stuff

Here's something I just thought about

You know how all the different Melee Forts take place is different environments/weather, right? Arena at sunset, CP at day, KOTH is cloudy, CTF is snowy, DM is rainy at night, etc.

What if, for the versions that have the Titantrons and walkout music, it was different for each version too? Like say, CTF would have Life in the Fast Lane and Eminence Front for RED and BLU respectively, but CP would have, I don't know, Thunderstruck and Detroit Rock City.

What do you think? IF you like the idea, suggest some songs ITT, but please keep it from the 60s-80s, I'm trying to stay with TF2's old-timey themes
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

Thunderstruck is early 90's. And I wouldn't call 80's old timey...

Go with some Dick Dale, 50's Surf Whaaa guitar hero
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Original wrote:Go with some Dick Dale
Holy shit, this would own.
the asylum

Thanks for your input guys (Thunderstruck was early 90s? Fuck me, AC DC never changes its tune huh)

Dick Dale is a great guitarist, but didn't quite have those short, crash-style riffs that fit great into an 8-second segment (7.5 if you don't count the fade out). To really get a full appreciation for his work, you'd need to listen to damn near the entire song. I won't say I won't try, but I won't make any promises either.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

Wipe Out-1963,
Jumpin jack flash-1968
Hound dog-1953
Johnny B' Goode-1958
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
the asylum

spleenter wrote:Wipe Out-1963,
Jumpin jack flash-1968
Hound dog-1953
Johnny B' Goode-1958
I thought you didn't like Melee Fort

But thanks for the suggestions.
the asylum

Jeez, I had almost forgotten just how fucking tedious making the old Titantrons were. I've only done two and I already feel worn out.
the asylum

Another thing I've been thinking about is a Gorge-like CP version, with just two (or three) control points that have to be capped one after the other. My current two-CP idea is to use CP Melee Fort, with the first point being the bridge, and the last point being the boxcar/scaffold ring, with BLU's spawns being their stage spawn and toll booth as a forward, as they are in the current 5CP version.

Or should I stop making more melee forts and just finish Checkpoint already?
the asylum

It was a daft idea anyway.

The A6 builds are pretty much done now, but I'll wait for a month or so before paking everything and releasing it- I'd rather not impose another release in a little over a month.

That, or unless Valve unleashes another surprise update on us. I'll let you guys have fun with the ullapool caber exploit for awhile.
the asylum

Re: Tell me to do stuff for the next Melee Fort release

On to talking about the A7 releases

Two ideas I have kicking around right now:

1. Making DM Melee Fort run on Medieval Mode, of course with Huntsman, Crossbow, Sandvich, et al, stripped. This would take a fair load of stress off the map, but also drops the small health bottles. I want to see bodies piling up everywhere, dammit.

2. Making DM Melee Fort operate on a round-by-round basis. Like say, I dunno, 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the map stalemates and resets. The good thing about this is it breaks up the monotony of one big long round (or never-ending round for "those" servers), and gives players who've just joined a better way of accurately gauging their success. The downside is servers that have sudden death enabled. AFAIK there's no way to disable func_respawnroomvisualizer brushes specifically on stalemates, so griefers could just hide out in the spawnrooms
the asylum

http://tf2.com/post.php?id=5104&p=1

.... god

.... fucking

.... dammit.

Of particular worry is the Soldier/Demoman sword. Kill someone and get all your health back, thanks a fucking lot valve. items_game.txt indicates that it may be strippable without having to strip any other soldier/demoman melee weapon. And here I thought an all-melee update wouldn't break shit. And I had just released the A6 builds too.

Why do you hate Melee Fort, Valve?
FlaminSarge
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19100391

Unread post by FlaminSarge »

Fortunately, the sword isn't a one-hit-kill... unless you're fighting another katanaman.

It does about shovel damage otherwise.

But if you really wanna remove it, tf_weapon_katana is an altogether new classname.
TF2Backpack
I make various SourceMod Plugins for TF2.
Also I fix things. And break things. No complaints.
the asylum

I know its pointless to bitch about balance in Melee maps, but just being able to get all of your health back from killing someone is a little too much for my liking.

On a slightly more positive note regarding DM Melee Fort, SUCCESS!!

.... sort of.

I've found a way to kill the func_respawnroomvisualizers on sudden death, but there's a catch- a rather big one. There's no OnStalemate or OnWonByTeam3 output for tf_gamerules, so the only way (that I know of) to fire an input at the end of the round is via a team_round_timer.

Not a problem, you say? Well, it is if you'd like your DM maps to be one long round, dictated by mp_timelimit, as opposed to an arbitrary imposed time limit.

So here's my dilemma: Either I allow server admins the freedom to choose how long they want to map to run with mp_timelimit, and thus allow the possibility of griefers to hang out inside the spawnrooms safe behind the func_respawnroomvisualizer brushes all day, or I force a round time limit with team_round_timer, thus eliminating the respawnroomvisualizer problem, but clamping down on the admin's freedom with the length of playtime. That and having sudden death going on every 10 or 15 minutes isn't something I'm too keen on.

Help me, cC. I have no idea what to do.