Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Melee Fort A4. I need your feedback guys

Discuss maps and model creation and ideas.
the asylum
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17799965

Melee Fort A4. I need your feedback guys

Unread post by the asylum »

Hopefully the good Captain will put them on the funserver soon. If you wanna DL them all ahead of time, they're right here: http://www.fpsbanana.com/members/maps/626717

Questions, comments, complaints, etc, all welcome here. I can't improve anything if nobody tells me what's wrong.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Re: Melee Fort A4. I need your feedback guys

Unread post by spleenter »

Terribad. the only thing that would make it a better map would be the addition of guns, but since this is a melee map and that wont happen. your maps is just bad, im not saying your a bad map maker im just saying making a gigantic 5 cp push map melee only is just stupid.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I haven't played your map, but if what Spleenter says is true, then yea, no one would want to play something like cp_granary on melee mode. You might think that would be fun, but it wouldn't last long. Maybe if you scale it down considering with melee any type of combat needs to be very close combat, whereas no melee means you can spread out more and still fight.

For instance, cyberpunk on melee is fun for a while because its a small map and if you die you can get right back in there.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

he has more than just a 5 cp push map.
for instance there is a arena version which isnt terrible IF you like melee maps.

there is a CTF version which was terribly planned. there are 2 ways to get to the enemy intel but only 1 way to get back to cap it. and its a giant S so the other team can just take a shortcut and get in front of you.

the koth isnt bad, its the same map as the arena mode but the cap time is too long.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
the asylum

spleenter wrote:there is a CTF version which was terribly planned. there are 2 ways to get to the enemy intel but only 1 way to get back to cap it. and its a giant S so the other team can just take a shortcut and get in front of you.
But consider this: You have no ranged weapons. Once a scout nabs your intel and bolts, if it was just a straight path from base to base, there'd be no way to catch up and have a chance to defend it.

As for the enclosed spaces Beetle mentioned, all the points are enclosed- The second-to-last points are on a compact bridge, the last points are in an even more compact boxing ring, and the cap zone for the sizeable middle point is confined to just a quarter of it's surface area. Also for the CP verion, compare the distance from point to point aginst something like Well. In Well, from the mid cap to the second-to-last, you have to hop out of the train station, over the tracks, over the bridges, into the facade, and then the point. Froom there to the last point, it's still a fair distance away. In Melee Fort, From mid cap to second, it's just hop off the traincars, out the door, and you're there. And from there to the last point, it's roughly half the walk of the distance in Well. If a 5 CP melee map is to work, I don't think I can get it much shorter than that.

The cap times still need some little adjustments though, I agree.
the asylum

So with no more class updates or new weapons, I think it's about time for a5 to start production. Some issues I need some input on:

1. Entrance themes

Because env_soundscape is unreliable for turning on/off, I've had to use ambient_generics for the walkout music. However, because they're so goddamn quiet, what I've had to do is stack multiple ambient_generics on top of each other, which I've heard makes a few people lag while playing, especially with DM Melee Fort, what with the rain effects as well. That and it becomes blaringly loud for some people. My options at this point are:

- Learn how to (or beg someone to) make a plugin that will handle the music. Of course, having to install additional plugin crap is not something I'd like to force on admins, especially for something superficial.

- Change the rainy enviroment from DM Melee Fort to some other mode that doesn't use the music, like KOTH or Arena. It won't solve the volume problem but will alleviate the lag

- Fuck around with ambient_generics some more and hope something else works

- Hope and pray that I can find a way to make env_soundscape workable

- Scrap the music altogether (which I really really really don't wanna do)

2. Critboost on CTF captures

I can understand Valve's motives for introducing this game mechanic, but it isn't necessary when the most defense a team can put up is their melee weapon. I don't know if I can force a server to disable capture crits, don't know if I want to. How else are we supposed to have a fighting chance against KGB Heavies?

3. Overpowered weapons

Namely KGB Heavies and Powerjack Pyros. KBG Heavies haven't really been that big a problem, and I can't strip the KGB without also stripping the GRU and the regular fists. Powerjack Pyros are a serious breaker though, and I can't strip them either, as they share the same entity name as the regular fire axe. The only two solutions I can come up with are:

- build/beg for a plugin that denies players access to a class with Powerjacks equipped. Again, Forcing plugins on admins isn't something I'm too keen on

- Strip the damn thing anyway along with the fire axe. Marginally more appealing than the other solution, but still, it's a bitter pill to swallow. I already screwed over Scouts by the (completley necessary) banning of the Sandman, I don't want to make Pyro completley useless.

And that about wraps it up.

One more thing though, if I were to convert one game mode to a winter theme (like koth_viaduct), which mode would you want to see it on?