Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Removing Player Abuse Commands for Regular Members

Discuss any problems with our stockMaps TF2 server and make suggestions for improvement.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Removing Player Abuse Commands for Regular Members

Unread post by captainAngry »

I think I am going to remove player commands from regular admins. What I am going to do is clear out all of the admin commands under the 'player' section of the menu. The only things that will be left will be:

Ban (10 Minutes) *I will fix this for regular members
Kick
Gag/Mute

In addition to removing these commands from cC members, I am going to add a few more higher admins that have access to everything. The people chosen will be people that have shown they can use their admin powers responsibly.

The reason for this is because I have seen people abusing their admin powers. While most of you do fine, I have received complaints that people have been abusing their powers. One person was even accidentally banned because of admin abuse and I just don't have the patience or the time to hand hold and scold people who make bad judgements.

Feel free to express your concerns here.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Re: Removing Player Abouse Commands for Regular Members

Unread post by Äusländer »

I, for one, welcome our new higher admin overlords.

On a more serious note; it is no surprise that I welcome the change. I have voiced my concerns both in game and on the forums and I feel this would be a move in the right direction.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

Yeah, as much I a love the occasional admin tomfoolery, I admit that it has gotten far out of hand. The abuse is absolutely mind boggling and starting to piss me off :x
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19183286

Unread post by g_e_oos »

So will auto changing the map be taken away also? I hate it when members just change a map that everyone is enjoying because they don't like it.
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I don't know how much I can do about that. There are times when the map needs to be changed and there is no way to make it available only at those times. I might take away the regular map change and leave the map vote so at the very least all admins can start a vote to change the map.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

captainangry wrote:I don't know how much I can do about that. There are times when the map needs to be changed and there is no way to make it available only at those times. I might take away the regular map change and leave the map vote so at the very least all admins can start a vote to change the map.
That is pretty much what I want thanks!
When life hands you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

After playing Hall of death I vote we remove "Melee Mode" from the list of things to change as well. I have no problem being able to kick off the vote (which I didn't see as an option last night), but when someone changes it (And SM doesn't even tell you who initiated the command) the entire server pulls a concurrent WTF. No one knows it's coming and it starts a "This Map is better with/without guns" discussion that never ends well.

Democracy works people, if only in TF2.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Re: Removing Player Abuse Commands for Regular Members

I have been meaning to add a melee mode vote, however if I give people access to start the vote, I have to give the same people access to turn it on/off. Otherwise there is the potential to get stuck in melee mode with no one on the server to turn it off (although it SHOULD be set to turn off on map change).
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Did anyone ever find out who kept turning it on last night? It was getting frustrating.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

captainangry wrote:I have been meaning to add a melee mode vote, however if I give people access to start the vote, I have to give the same people access to turn it on/off. Otherwise there is the potential to get stuck in melee mode with no one on the server to turn it off (although it SHOULD be set to turn off on map change).
It should turn off on map change of course but if you can kick off the vote to turn it on you can kick off the vote to turn it off. Otherwise, Person A turns on a vote to turn it on, the vote passed and you have melee mode. Person B, hates melee mode and thinks it's stupid so Person B turns it off so he doesn't have to deal with it. Now, if he could only kick off a vote he would but of course it would fail because the majority just voted to turn it on.

Is it possible to set a limit on how often you can initiate a vote with the admin mod you're using? Otherwise, Person B may just kick off a vote every minute to get it turned off because he's just a miserable bastard.

It would be nice to run a list of commands before the map changes so you can set everything back to a default state before you load the next map therefore eliminating the gravity issue as well as the melee issue. You're state should be the same at the end of the map as it was in the beginning.

g_e_oss: I was turning it off last night while trying to figure out who was turning it on. I was a minute from kicking cC members methodically trying to narrow it down.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

I turned it back off a few times last night after you left. It would be cool to have 1 command in the admin menu that reverts all the settings to normal.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I don't think it is possible to add anything like that to the admin command menu. Typically all of the settings get reset when the map changes. The only issue with this is gravity since we all know if the gravity gets changed and then changed back, it messes up grenades. Since it gets changed back after the map change, the grenades are messed up until the next map change.

I'll try to think of a solution to this.
Awesomesauce
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17643787
Location: Toronto, Ontario...but mostly where you least expect me.

Unread post by Awesomesauce »

I saw that a few of my commands were gone today, commands such as Uberslap, Uberslam, y'know, the fun stuff. As long as these aren't being abused or any command that isn't being abused shouldn't be taken away. They are really fun for just messing around when we aren't playing a real game.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

The only command that I wanted back yesterday was ban. Some idiot kept mic spamming and had a uuuuhhh inappropriate spray.... Inappropriate is a good word to describe it I think... Anyways, He kept coming back over and over again but I couldn't ban him.... He wasn't the only one either there was people all over the place...
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

The mic spammers I banned and continued to ban anyone that came back in with their little attitude. However, i couldn't remove the person who had the goatse spray because no one told me who it was...

Maybe what we need is the mod that entitles us to see who sprayed a particular image and as for banning there is usually a higher admin around at most times, even if they aren't in game.

And to Awesomesauce, it alway's degrades to an admin fight during normal games....

And doghouse, stop slaying everyone at the end of matches or I'm going to start kicking you until you stop.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I am working on re-doing the admin levles. Right now people just about have either everything or nothing. I'll work on getting everything worked out shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

I think slap should stay because it makes for a good warning.
g_e_oos
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by g_e_oos »

Liquid Death wrote:I think slap should stay because it makes for a good warning.
Honestly, I think you should just verbally warn them. So much simpler.
Liquid Death
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19897660

Unread post by Liquid Death »

g_e_oos wrote:
Liquid Death wrote:I think slap should stay because it makes for a good warning.
Honestly, I think you should just verbally warn them. So much simpler.
I would but half of the time they aren't reading whats in the chatbox.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

It's an all or nothing kind of thing. A slap is a good warning but it still allows admin abuse.

Anyway, higher admins will still have the ability to slap people. Right now they still have the ability to do anything (timebomb, blind, etc.) I think there are 10 or so people that fall under that category. I still need to make sure everything is working properly and then I will make a list of all of the admin levels and what they have access to.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

I don't think I'm a regular member yet but when I do get to be, this may sound dumb and clueless on my part, how would I get to those?
I haven't played for very long, I think almost a month and I'm still getting used to everything.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Aerogablaze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19303814

Unread post by Aerogablaze »

Well the damage could be maybe be taken out of the slap... or have a command that Shows over the players Screen that He/She is stepping over the line in White Letters
"-Ahem- Gentlemen? ..."
Team Fortress 2 Hired Spy
I am Spy - Play Free Online Games
Awesomesauce
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17643787
Location: Toronto, Ontario...but mostly where you least expect me.

Unread post by Awesomesauce »

So now i only have 4 commands.

Does that mean I am one of the lower admins?
:( :( :(

EDIT: ...What did you do with the smileys....
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Awesomesauce wrote:So now i only have 4 commands.

Does that mean I am one of the lower admins?
:( :( :(

EDIT: ...What did you do with the smileys....
There are no lower admins per say. There is a regular admin and a higher admin. The higher admins don't have access to much more than you do, slay and slap mostly. I'll try and wrap up the admin update stuff this weekend.

I updated the smilies and made them awesome.